Subway - the KNIFE and other disgusting practices

Options

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    Howwever, it isn't asking too much to hold a restaurant acountable for standards they MUST legally adhere to, and speak up about it if/when you witness infractions. i.e, the Subway knife..

Where, exactly, is not wiping the knife illegal? I really want to know.

Here you go...(the section between the smiley faces speaks to the issue of cross-contamination and Subway knives):

From FDA's website: http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/GuidanceDocuments/ProduceandPlanProducts/ucm174200.htm#retail

IX. Retail and Foodservice
    Specific procedures for storing and displaying food, for excluding or restricting ill employees, for washing hands, date-marking, and for washing and sanitizing equipment can be found in the FDA Food Code15. The FDA Food Code is a model code developed by FDA to assist and promote consistent implementation of national food safety regulatory policy among the local, State, and tribal governmental agencies that have primary responsibility for the regulation or oversight of retail level food operations. Further considerations for leafy greens are found below. In addition, handlers of leafy greens should be aware of and follow all Federal, State, and local requirements. Leafy greens may be handled extensively at retail or in food service operations; therefore, it is of particular importance to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water before cutting or handling leafy greens and to rewash hands as necessary.

A. Retail and Foodservice Handling
    Leafy greens may be contaminated by numerous means in the field-to-fork supply chain. Important considerations at the retail and foodservice level include excluding or restricting ill food workers, ensuring appropriate employee hygiene/handling, using water of adequate quality, and preventing cross-contamination.

FDA recommends:

Considering not using leafy greens with visible signs of decay or damage, due to the increased risk of the presence of human pathogens. Decayed or damaged leafy greens and lesions caused by plant pathogens may act as harborage for human pathogens (Ref. 24 ). When in doubt about the use of decayed or distressed product, either removing the unusable portions or not using the leafy greens.
    Utilizing information in the FDA 2005 Food Code Section 3-302.15 (available in PDF16), which specifies: "Raw fruits and vegetables shall be thoroughly washed in water to remove soil and other contaminants before being cut, combined with other ingredients, cooked, served, or offered for human consumption in ready-to-eat form." Not rewashing packaged produce labeled "ready-to-eat," "washed" or "triple washed."
    Ensuring water used to wash leafy greens is of appropriate microbial quality for its intended use.
    Rewashing, after cutting, the leafy greens in a clean and sanitized sink or container. Immersing and agitating the cut leafy greens, then removing from water while avoiding contact with any dirt or debris that may settle out. Repeating the cleaning process as needed with a clean and sanitized basin, sink, or bowl and fresh water.

:smile: Cleaning and sanitizing all food-contact equipment and utensils that contact cut leafy greens (e.g., cutting boards and knives) with the following steps: washing thoroughly with hot soapy water, rinsing, sanitizing, and air-drying.
    Washing hands thoroughly with soap and water before cutting or handling leafy greens and rewashing hands as necessary. :smile:

Using a barrier such as gloves and/or an appropriate utensil changed with sufficient frequency to prevent cross-contamination to touch fresh-cut leafy greens. Note: This does not alleviate the need for proper hand-washing.
    Storing and displaying fresh-cut leafy greens under refrigeration throughout distribution to enhance the safety and quality of the product.
    Storing and displaying fresh-cut leafy greens under refrigeration to minimize bacterial growth and delay deterioration of the product.
    Establishing a policy for fresh-cut leafy greens prepared at retail/foodservice for how long the refrigerated product can be displayed and offered for sale. Marking the product, with "prepared on" or "best if used by" date.
    Following manufacturer instructions for the product such as "keep refrigerated" or "best if used by."
    Developing training programs that will educate all potential handlers of leafy greens in retail and food establishments regarding the importance of food safety and the recommendations in this guidance.

Yeah, they wash and sanitize their dishes every day, not between every sandwich! And I'm going to preemptively argue the stuff about fresh-cut leafy greens doesn't apply anyway because their veggies arrive at the stores in a bag cut and cleaned already.

It may not be the law in the US, but it is in Canada due to the issue of food allergies. They are supposed to switch knives every sub. Whether they live up to that is a different question. I know my wife followed that practice when working at Subway. New knife, and the used knives went to the back to be washed.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just don't eat out AT ALL if you're concerned about that stuff. Even the highest priced restaurants have the potential to be as bad or worse than Subway is. Just because you don't see it happen doesn't mean it isn't happening behind the scenes. Think about that next time you eat out at a fancy restaurant. :P

I personally don't give a damn. I eat what I want. I'm not that scared of germs. It doesn't bother me. Just strengthens your immune system. Heck, I grew up eating carrots straight out of the garden, dirt still on them and all. And that garden had manure put it in as fertilizer before the garden was planted. Heh, do if animal crap didn't kill me, I'm sure something at Subway won't. (Also, as mentioned, in Canada they don't use "the knife" either so the knife itself isn't an issue).

Also with exteme allergies it's your responsibility. I know somebody with really bad Celiacs disease. For example she can't even eat a steak that was TOUCHING bread without getting extremely sick. So when her and her hubby go out for supper they know which restaurants they can trust will be super careful with her food. They have one restaurant they go to and everybody at that restaurant know her and her situation so it's never a problem.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I hate that at subway you get a ****ton of cheese (which i don't like on my sandwich and avoid) but they will put maybe 3 leaves of spinach on it. Oh, if you want mayo they glop it on, but vinegar is a few teaspoons?
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I'd be more concerned about everything left out in the open air to be honest - the knife would be the least of my worries.

This is why I made my own sandwiches... I know where the ingredients are from, I know my stuff is all clean and I know exactly what's going in it.

Subway = fail.
  • stbrad6896
    Options
    I hate that at subway you get a ****ton of cheese (which i don't like on my sandwich and avoid) but they will put maybe 3 leaves of spinach on it. Oh, if you want mayo they glop it on, but vinegar is a few teaspoons?

you know since the person making your sandwich is standing right in front of you, you could always say extra vinegar? easy on the mayo? more spinach please? There is no extra charge, the person making your sandwich is supposed to make it just the way you specify
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    I'm so glad I don't eat at Subway, or any restaurant, really!
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    now i totally want a subway sub.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    *raised eyebrow* It's only touched sandwiches, not their dirty butt

I never even noticed, I'm the least germaphobic person I know (though, not a slob).
    I always wondered what kind of crazy requests and annoyances the employees go through when making sandwiches for so many picky people every day.
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    They use squeeze bottles for every Subway I went to o.o;;
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I just copied and pasted these comments onto Subway's corporate web page. I assumed they would want to know what concerns us about eating at their establishments -- hope you don't mind.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    FOR THE WIN:drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • graveflower316
    graveflower316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If this disgusts you, I'd suggest not eating at any restaurant. Not all places require their cooks to even wear gloves, let alone require their cooks to bathe on a daily basis (fine dining restaurants included!). Kitchens are filthy and the only important thing is that you enjoy the food and that it doesn't leave you with any kind of food poisoning.

How do I know this? I knew one of the filthiest cooks ever who worked at many fine 1-2 star restaurants out in California.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I hate the knife at Subway. It stops me from getting footlong veggie subs because when I want one, inevitably, I'm behind a mayonnaise queen (has half a bottle of mayo on sub) and the server will use the knife to shove that person's toppings around. I've found out mostly guys will do a fold and shake - fold sandwich, hold sideways, and shake the toppings in - which eliminates the knife.

My usual - 6" veggie on white, plain - means the slop knife doesn't touch my sandwich. I always get weird looks for not having any dressings and cheese. If I splurge for a footlong (go halvsies for lunch and supper) and they try to use a slop knife, I politely ask them to wipe it because I'm "allergic" to mayo. What I want to say is, "Hey, can you go wash that *kitten* off the knife? I want to be able to eat my sandwich, not puke it because it's got the last guy's mayo/honeymustard/chipotle sauce on it."

The cringe-worthy best? When you ask them to clean the knife and they just SCRAPE IT ALONG THE EDGE OF THE GARBAGE BIN.

cupofrage.jpg
    That is nasty. I would report them if they scraped it on the garbage because that is unsanitary.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    At the end of the line - when they have all the glop on your sandwich (note here - I despise mayonnaise and most dressings) they need to fold the sandwich up so they reach for - the KNIFE. The knife that is dripping with mayo and other dressings from the last 50 sandwiches they've made that day. They lay it on your sandwich to hold the toppings in place, fold over the top, and extract the knife such that those remnants get scraped onto your pristine, veggie patty, pepperjack on wheat sub with everything but cucumbers and carrots and a touch of red salsa sub.

The other thing that disgusts me - the server standing there, waiting for the next sandwich on the assembly line. They are wearing those plastic gloves - for our protection I presume - and they proceed to wipe the counter and push leftover stuff into the trash hole using just the glove, then turn to you and ask what you'd like on your sandwich.

I'm sure much worse happens behind the scenes at a McDonalds, Hardees, etc. but it's 1) not where you can see it, and 2) I don't eat at those meat-factories.

What is more disgusting, the Knife or a " veggie patty, pepperjack on wheat sub with everything but cucumbers and carrots and a touch of red salsa sub"?
    It sounds delicious to me lol
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Generally speaking, if you're overly concerned about sanitation I wouldn't suggest fast food.

This!!

I work deliveries (Ran Beer truck for Budweiser for 12 years through the 90's) and let me tell you that you do not want to know some of the practices and things I seen going on in the back kitchen areas of many of these places. You would never go eat fast food or eat out ever again. I myself pick and choose my places mainly on past experiences. My 2 Subways that I use here in my town never use the same pair of gloves after making a previous sandwich. They have a bread cutting knife use soley for that and a knife to cut the sandwiches at the end of the line which they wipe down after each sandwich is made... yes they wipe the leftovers into the bend but that is before they start with the next customers sandwich and they wash their hands before they put on the new gloves. The worst I ever seen was at a Mexican Place where they make their own chips fresh daily and put them in 32 gallon trash cans in the backroom. I was dropping a cart of beer off in the same room and literally seen a rat come pushing his way out of the half secured lid and landed on the floor and scurried out the back door (which they left open and blocked for ventilation in the summer months.) So yeah I have seen much worse, even much worse than that.......
    I want to vomit
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I bring my own knife to subway. I just tell them to make me a sub and show them my nice clean knife.

ballistic-knife.jpg
    Lmso
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Wow here they actually have the knife sitting in ice cold water till the next one is made. They also do NOT push the food back in like that. They also get rid of the pair of gloves they were using for YOUR meal & then when the next person comes along.....put a new fresh pair on. Sorry you got a bad subway...guess over here they just have better standards.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    How do you uptight people live thru the day? By taking handfuls of anxiety pills, I guess. Trash hole? Do you think they are putting used diapers in there? They are pushing bread crumbs and spinach in there that hasn't been touched by human hands yet. And you want them to use a new knife on every sandwich? Really?

I love how people think this is how fast food gets made. THIS IS HOW ALL FOOD GETS MADE. Even in your own homes. Do you think your mom used a fresh knife on your PB&J sandwich after she cut your brother's? Good luck at Thanksgiving.

Can one of you alarmists please stop by your local ER and count how many people are there because of Subway, McDonalds or any other food place before you panic?

First of all, "Mom" is not serving the general public; thus, she does not have to adhere to the same laws of quality standards for food prep set forth by the FDA. Secondly, a mom would know her own children's allergies. Not so with restaurants.

Lastly, I used to work in an ER, and you'd be surprised at how many food allergy cases come in on a DAILY basis.

Just wanted to comment in this as my son has a serious allergy. Although I would LOVE it if I felt I could trust any restaurant/fast food outlet to serve their food in a way that doesn't endanger him, basically over the last few years I've come to accept that they don't really care much about that, to be honest. Mostly we eat the food which I cook at home. When we do go out, we take a 'calculated risk' by taking him to certain places (with epipens on hand) after first checking their websites and have to trust that what we don't see in the kitchen doesn't contaminate otherwise safe foods. Other people's houses are often just as bad! Otherwise we'd have to live in a bubble :)

To both of the last two comments:

It's not the responsibility of the restaurant to make sure customers avoid allergens. It's your responsibility as a parent and an individual to speak up. All they can do is try to reasonably accommodate you.

I agree. I said as much in my first post on this thread. Believe me, most parents with allergic children are VERRRRY diligent, but they also know that even with the best of care, it isn't always easy to keep on top of every single allergen. In Canada, for instance, we don't have strict labelling laws like they do in the USA, so sometimes, even the best of intentions on the part of parents, restaurants, and the allergic kids themselves go astray.

Howwever, it isn't asking too much to hold a restaurant acountable for standards they MUST legally adhere to, and speak up about it if/when you witness infractions. i.e, the Subway knife..

Absolutely, and as a parent I am fully aware of my responsibilities :) As I said, we assess the risks and do what we can. It is the responsibility of the restaurant to adhere to their own standards and where their own websites and allergy information data are provided they should be accurate and trustworthy.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

Here they give like no cheese (and it costs extra for extra cheese) but a big handful of spinach. But only like two pickles or whatever.... However, I can ask for more or less of veggies free of charge. But I have to pay for extra cheese which I never do even though they give barely any...

I'm really craving Subway now. Ugh. lol I seriously eat Subway only a few times ago but now I really want some...maybe partly because I haven't had supper yet...lol
  • RixxyRikaa
    RixxyRikaa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I work in foodservice and am also a Culinary Arts major. Generally speaking, corporate chains and franchises are going to have a LOT more restrictions on what you can and cannot do health-wise than a local place or LLC. It also depends on the place you go to.

And there's nothing wrong with reminding the person who works the counter to change their gloves or wash the knife.
    If you think they're going to give you sass that you don't want to deal with, say you have allergies and should wash it just to be safe.
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Hey look a gummy on the floor. Bonus!