Top excuses for avoiding exercise?

Options
13»

Replies

• MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    the kids....(the biggest excuse for everything in the world)

That as well!!
  • Mandino788
    Mandino788 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have a back injury. It hurts everyday but some days I'll say that it hurts too much to exercise even when it doesn't.

No more of that. I'm so done with excuses!
  • maggie2731
    Options
    My number one excuse... It's clousy outside. If it's sunny then i want to move. Two: I'll go tomorrow, I have a headache vut as of tomorrow.... then tomorrow i repeat the excuse that i have a headache or it's cloudy. Now i just go. Like it or not i push myself and go!
  • Bethypfy
    Options
    my biggest excuse is that i just don't feel like it. or why? it doesn't make a difference. I deal with these thoughts everyday but i still do my workouts and every time i finish my workout the excuses mean less and less.and i feel better and better. I'm trying to train my mind to not believe in them excuses) and so far it is working :)
  • galaxiasmama
    Options
    It's funny, because I have used the excuse of having no time in the past or the excuse of me being too self conscious to work out in front of others (back when I lived with my mom and was literally NEVER alone except in the bathroom...lots of family :/) but one excuse I have never used is my mostly paralyzed arm, from Erbs Palsy.

Nope, I am still doing Insanity anyway!

Now I am starting a new job though...and I know I'll be tempted to use the no time excuse again....since I'll have to wake up at like 4 to work out...hopefully I survive month 2 lol I start my job on the 2nd day of it !
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Mine is always "My knees/back hurt too much" which is true, but I always conveniently block out the fact that they hurt less not more after I exercise!
  • tomcat941
    tomcat941 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My most valid excuse was knee injury, because that affected not only my exercise, but also my daily life.
    My weirdest excuse was because i was home alone, and the house seemed rather creepy, and i thought it might be haunted, so i couldn't exercise, because the ghost's were upstairs so i had to be downstairs, where i can't exercise. Yep, that's me, haha.

My mum has some annoying ones;
    I'm not ready to lose weight yet (WTF?)
    I need some time to myself! (Yeah, to watch tv and stuff your face with food)
    Too stressed/tired
    Or my personal favorite- I don't want to exercise yet, because I'm too big.
  • Seabring17
    Seabring17 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My excuse has been lack of time. I am at my desk 8-9 hours 5 days a week, 20-30 minutes walking to and from my office and in my car an additional 3-4 hours each of those days commuting. That leaves me 1 hour in the morning to get ready and 2-3 hours when I get home to fix dinner, eat, do any other things that need to be done and get ready for bed and maybe 7-6 hours for sleep. This all varies a little if I run errands on the way home.

But I have now made some small changes to how I manage a little of that time...I now park a couple levels up at the parking ramp and take a longer route from my car to the office, it adds a few minutes to my commute time but they are well worth it. I also do my best to walk at least 20-45 minutes at lunch. Sometimes if I don't think it will interfere with my ability to go to sleep I walk up and down my stairs at home before I go to bed. Doing all of this along with tracking my eating on MFP I have lost 15 pounds since the end of June this year.

I tried adding time at the gym to the formula but just couldn't make it work. I was not eating or sleeping well in the 4 weeks I did it so I am now back to what I know works for me.
  • QuietLegs
    Options
    Hmm. Excuses I've actually used for myself:

1) Last minute change of lunch plans at work. Yay, team building lunches >_> (I run during lunch; if I know ahead of time that I can't, I adjust my workout schedule.)
    2) Forgot my running shoes. I will *not* run without my running shoes. Seriously. Ouch. (Started leaving a pair at work; no more of that excuse!)
    3) Really eff-ing cold out. ... Yeah, I'm a bit of a wuss that way. Only applies to running; I just bundle up more for a bike ride. But that's how much I love riding my bike :P
    4) Raining like whoa. See above.
    5) It's Saturday, and I'm feeling lazy. Yep. Beautiful, gorgeous day out, and I'll sit around all morning eating Ramen and watching episodes of How I Met Your Mother. Might still go for a walk, but it's still bailing on a run or ride, lol.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Claiming to be tired or "forgetting" a crucial piece of gym gear used to be my two biggest excuses. Now I drag my *kitten* to the gym no matter what because it increases the quality and efficiency of my life. Period. I grab a strong coffee and go.

Last night I forgot my t-shirt, so i ran in my undershirt (kind of tight but who gives a f***) and threw on my hoody for the weight room.

Now there are no excuses. If I feel uncomfortable I push past it and get my butt there regardless.

Besides the standard time and energy excuses, this was my 3rd. I used it a week or two ago. No excuse now because I now keep an extra set of gym clothes in my desk at work. As for energy, I just have to get past the inertia by starting. Even if I'm "too tired" :yawn: to start, or I'm "in too much pain/discomfort" :sad: :sick: to continue, if I push myself through to completion I always feels better having done my workout... 100% of the time without fail!

"Ain't nuttin' to it... but to do it!" :bigsmile:
  • Leanne3552000
    Leanne3552000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My biggest excuse is that my studies are more important at the moment and need to be my number 1 priority.

I used to use my workouts as another form of procrastination during Grad School "Hey, I really should go to the Library to write the next 5 pages of my thesis...but I want to log 5 miles first " :-)

Yep I used to do that too and then my grades really paid the price so now it's the other way around. "I want to go to the gym but I should study/work on my assignment". I've learnt that 15 - 30 mins high intensity on the tredmil is better than nothing and doesn't dip too much into study time.
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have a back injury. It hurts everyday but some days I'll say that it hurts too much to exercise even when it doesn't.

I managed to train when I was out long term with a serious back injury. I had to get my spine realigned. My solution - bike with full back support nout wrong with my legs
  • inlovewiththeideas
    Options
    "I worked out really hard yesterday, so I have leftover calories..." (100 odd calories spare.)

"I should probably do work instead, that is more important after all..." (Never gets done.)

"Oh God, it's ~insert national occasion here~! I best not go out..." (Oh... right.)

There's probably maaany, many more. :blushing:
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Flannel p.j.s, comfy bed, and a good book. Oh wait, that's three. :blushing:
  • Mandino788
    Mandino788 Posts: 226 Member
    Options

I managed to train when I was out long term with a serious back injury. I had to get my spine realigned. My solution - bike with full back support nout wrong with my legs

That's a good part of what I plan on doing, the problem is that I have such short legs it's hard to adjust it properly Oh well, I'll deal lol

I plan on starting with cardio and some light weights to get going.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    The only excuse I've had recently is that I need to take a rest day so my muscles can heal. I get so agitated on days where I don't exercise, it's frustrating anymore NOT to exercise because I love the burn so much! ~ dunno if that counts anyways :) Just thought I'd share.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I donwanna.
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    School. My program consists of 7-9 classes. I'm not books smart. It takes time for me to get **** and I have to put in a lot more effort just to get a GPA of like 2.8. I used that as an excuse to give up last time. This is why I really want to get to my ideal goal weight by the time my program starts again so I can put little time in my workout routines.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    The one I use a lot is, "I'm too damn tired after waking up with a baby 2-3 times a night".
  • bullriderswife08
    bullriderswife08 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My BIG FAT HUGE excuse!!

For the past year, I have been a working, school going, full time mommy and wife. I live 15 miles away from the gym and my husband dropped my treadmill out of the back of his truck while trying to transport it to the storage unit during our almost move! My commute to work sucked, and have you seen winter in Northern NV!?! Its a joke. So here is to no more excuses, to being a stay at home mom again and getting my priorities in order. This is MY body!!! I am inn CONTROL! and I CAN DO THIS!!!! We can all make any excuse we like, we can try to justify it, but honestly what I have been going through is a case of the lazies!!! Time to stop that! And now accepting friends who are in the same boat as me and who need motivation and inspiration!