Trick or treaters stole my candy bowl. (video inside)

Options

Replies

• Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Is this a common practice where you live?

Here the trick or treaters knock on the door. Home owner comes out. Distributes candy at their discretion and then they all wave and say goodbye.

I've never seen someone just leave their candy outside like that.

I grew up in a small town, and a lot of times people would just leave the bowl on the step with a sign that said take one, my mom's neighbor was one of those people - she didn't get home until after 10pm and the trick or treaters were done by then. In all my years of knowing her (almost 27) she has NEVER had someone steal the candy bowl, and she has always come home to a bit of candy in the bowl.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Heh... this reminds me of a very specific moment when I went trick-or-treating when I was a kid (15 years ago...)

Someone had a scarecrow sitting on a chair on the porch with a bowl of candy in it, with a sign saying 'please take only one'. The kid ahead of me grabbed a handful, and as he was putting it in his bucket, the scarecrow (homeowner in a costume) jumped up yelling 'take only one!!! RAAAAAAAAA!' Needless to say, no one on that block took more than one the rest of the night.

OMG I'm going to do this!
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Heh... this reminds me of a very specific moment when I went trick-or-treating when I was a kid (15 years ago...)

Someone had a scarecrow sitting on a chair on the porch with a bowl of candy in it, with a sign saying 'please take only one'. The kid ahead of me grabbed a handful, and as he was putting it in his bucket, the scarecrow (homeowner in a costume) jumped up yelling 'take only one!!! RAAAAAAAAA!' Needless to say, no one on that block took more than one the rest of the night.

OMG I'm going to do this!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinker:
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

Here the trick or treaters knock on the door. Home owner comes out. Distributes candy at their discretion and then they all wave and say goodbye.

I grew up in a small town, and a lot of times people would just leave the bowl on the step with a sign that said take one, my mom's neighbor was one of those people - she didn't get home until after 10pm and the trick or treaters were done by then. In all my years of knowing her (almost 27) she has NEVER had someone steal the candy bowl, and she has always come home to a bit of candy in the bowl.

My daughter would be one of those kids to only take ONE hahaha last night at one of the houses, the guy opens the door and tells her she can take a piece of candy. She grabbed two accidently and he JOKINGLY says: "You're taking TWO pieces" she quick threw the one piece back hahahaha and looked horrified! The gentleman, who was older and I've seen around the neighborhood just started cracking up...."its ok sweetie you can have two"
  • Tishy78
    Tishy78 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Wow, really? I wish I lived somewhere Leave It To Beaver enough that I didn't have the concept of a security camera lol

For the back story, I got home as Trick or Treating started. We just got our power back on after the hurricane, and I have a flight today, so I had laundry, dishes, packing, etc. to get done ASAP. Put the bowl out and refilled it 15 mins before ToT ended as I KNEW someone would take the candy. I did expect that. But did not expect the bowl theft.

So yeah, take it for what it is... an amusing, if not somewhat baffling video clip. And possibly muse over what the parents said to the klepto on candy inspection :)
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options

People do that when they want to hand out candy but can't be home. I've seen it done many times.

D: I should have done this... except it was -23C and I'm pretty sure the candy would have froze!

mmm, frozen Snickers FTW..

Usually people do this when they take their own
    youngins out to go trick or treating. Most kids will
    only take one, while there's always an asshat to
    ruin it for everyone else.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Next year I'm attaching a trip wire for a claymore to the bowl. That should solve that problem.
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    What a bunch of little punks! Here, if someone is taking their kids out or can't be home, they usually leave a bowl with a note saying "help yourself" or "take one please." What you did was NICE. At least you left candy. It looks like that kid got caught up in the moment and just dumped the whole bowl (I hope). Who takes handfuls? Those kids need manners.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    OP ran out of candy in 24 seconds. Therefore he got what he deserved. Obv.
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    LOL... wow.. the bowl? hard times.. o.o first world problems .. LOL.. when i was a kid we just opened the big black trash bag and Dumped out the whole bowl. like the good citizens we were.. we put the bowl back o.o...

-.- hey dont judge me...
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    You got robbed by the Coppertone girl. Nice.
  • spikefoot
    Options
    Halloween kids in greedy mode......
  • Sharkington
    Options
    Lol, oh wow. She just does it all nonchalantly, too.
    I would never leave the bowl out like that - not because I would be concerned about my bowl being stolen, but look how greedy those trick-or-treaters were. Not that I am surprised.

Sorry you're out a bowl, though! That was so not cool. - especially when you were still trying to be nice about giving out candy when you couldn't be home.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    For crying out loud, they're NOT horrible people. They're CHILDREN who are not being supervised!
    So, they get away with theft?

No wonder kids are weak these days. People like you give them a free pass for everything.

If the damn kids were raised right, they wouldn't have even taken all the candy or the bowl.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Yes, very common here. Many houses do that. Most of the kids are respectful. It's the older ones that are douches.
  • DevanEve
    DevanEve Posts: 130
    Options
    Maybe she already had the home security system set up for her front porch area and that was where the candy bowl was at that time?? Just a logical thought.
  • kaiteboo
    kaiteboo Posts: 141 Member
    Options

LOL when I was a kid similar situation happened, there was a scarecrow on the lawn with a bowl of candy, me and my sister walked up to it and took some candy, my mom walked up and took some and it grabbed her and screamed BOOOOO! Next thing I knew me and my sister were being rushed home so my mom could change her jeans.... ahahah best halloween ever!
  • natashalh1998
    natashalh1998 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was one of those people who left a bowl of candy on my porch with the lights on and have done this for several years. I take my children trick or treating and can't be home but my son enjoys coming home to see if there is any candy left in the bowl we leave out. Never has the bowl been taken and there is always candy left in the bowl. I dont leave a note saying "only take one piece" most children arent taking the time to read "notes" they just take a few pieces and go. This is common where I live. That being said, a young child would not have done this, they were clearly too old to be out collecting candy and bowls!
  • Sbaby74
    Options
    I have noticed it becoming more and more common for people who are not home but want to give the kids a treat to leave a bowl outside. Lots only take a pice or two and yes some rudely take handfulls but rarely does anyone take the bowl. Teens are notorious for mischif exspecialy on halloween but most if taught right will not steal or harm someone. For the comment I read were someone said its not about how they were raised, yes it is. I understand some kids are bad no matter what you do but that doesnt't mean they all are, most can be taugh right from wrong and by ten (actually much sooner) they should know better than to take something that isn't theirs. How ever they are still children and some are hard headed and have to learn the hard way and if the parrents find out about it and are good patents the should make them applogize and do some yard work or something for the person they took from as well as return what they took or replace it with their own money that they have to earn. If more people would make consequences for their children when they do wrong instead of excuses this country wouldn't be in as bad a shape it is now. That's why we start out as children with adult parents so they can teach us and we can learn how to be good adults but a child that is not taught does not learn.
  • Sbaby74
    Options
    The kids were for sure in the wrong for taking the whole thing... BUT that being said, there are many many unsupervised little turds that are allowed to run rampant at Halloween without adult supervision and I think that many of them would take the whole bowl if given the chance. Sad, but true. This kind of thing has been happening (and will continue to happen) for years...generations even. :huh:

The children are not "little turds" its the parents who don't teach them respect for others ( perhaps because the have none themselves) and then send them out alone. My daughter is 13 and I do not send her out alone and even if I did she would know better. I know she's no saint but she knows what would happen and if she forgets I will quickly remind her.