new york marathon... why not do the right thing?

Options

Replies

• GrannySparkle
    GrannySparkle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This was written on Facebook, by my ex...a paramedic for NYC. This is what someone working the trenches has to say...

This is for all the Marathon Runners,
    Since the storm came and left its devastation, and people dying without power,food,supplies,or a house,
    is it worth it to run a race directly around all of that and still think you'll be a winner at the finish line.....let you conscience be your answer..? I know what mine would be..I ask you please boycott the race,not for me for the people who need help.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    the money being generated will help pay all the responders/agenices helping

quit acting like its evil to hold this thing...it's a few hours and the benefits of holding it outweigh the costs

it's all economics in the end

Do you know that on the day of the race, security and transportation begins at 4am? There are many waves, with the last one going out at 9 or 10. I would be willing to bet the very last runner will come in around 230 or 3pm? Plus, the finish line and after party, and getting everyone out of there. You're looking at 14-16 hours just on race day ALONE. It's not just a few hours.

It's not evil to hold the race, but there are also bigger things in life then a marathon. & right now it's helping people in a city that need it..
  • GrannySparkle
    Options
    If you are wanting to run and think that your money is gonna help those in need. STAY home and donate the money you would have spent to the Red Cross or buy food and supplies and donate them to an agency in your area that is sending supplies to NYC. Don't get in the way of those who are really working to help those in need. Have a HEART!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

quit acting like its evil to hold this thing...it's a few hours and the benefits of holding it outweigh the costs

Do you know that on the day of the race, security and transportation begins at 4am? There are many waves, with the last one going out at 9 or 10. I would be willing to bet the very last runner will come in around 230 or 3pm? Plus, the finish line and after party, and getting everyone out of there. You're looking at 14-16 hours just on race day ALONE. It's not just a few hours.

It's not evil to hold the race, but there are also bigger things in life then a marathon. & right now it's helping people in a city that need it..

ya...like I said, I few hours

and why act like its shutting down the whole state? good lord...the money is needed much more than the hassle and I am sure the Mayor let that fact play a huge role in his decision
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

and why act like its shutting down the whole state? good lord...the money is needed much more than the hassle and I am sure the Mayor let that fact play a huge role in his decision

I think we will agree to disagree on this one.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

I think we will agree to disagree on this one.

agreed
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I have an idea.......take the runners, give them the Red Cross meals and any meals that are being prepared for the eldrerly, and have them run the 15 ,20, 25 floors to get to them in these freezing high rise buildings that are with out power. Also, they could check in on them and see if they can help in any way......these folks are in their 70s, 80s with NO one there to help.....anyone , anyone that can walk can be a benefit in the smallest way..............

the elderly can not climb 15 or 20 floors, they are cold, with out power, with out medication and they need help.........plus, if you use the Police for the relay, you are taking that many officers off the streets that are so desparately needed NOW

I went thru one hurricane in Houston, no power for 3 weeks.......it was hell, and Im a lot younger than these trapped senior citizens.......put the resources to work........

work with local shelters and food banks to distribute food to those who are in such dire needs

next year have the race, only after the elderly and sick are back to normal.....

just my opinion...
  • Chapter3point6
    Options
    I just saw a story on this on ESPN and I knew it would be a volatile topice here on MFP.

If it were in my city, I would want the Mayor to postpone it.
  • misslindseylou
    misslindseylou Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have spent the past four, five days without electricity, with little food or water or heat. It has been awful, but NOTHING compared to what the people in New York and New Jersey have gone through, with losing their homes, family members, all of their belongings...some of those people in the big cities are trapped in their apartments with no food or heat and are injured. They can't get out to get what they need and they probably don't have a way to contact help. The generators that are being used to cook food for the runners could be used to help those people. They have pallets full of Gatorade and water just sitting there for the runners...that could be used for the people who are in need.

The marathon can wait awhile; the supplies being used for the marathon should go to the people that need them.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

So what about the people who LIVE there, staying hotels because their homes are destroyed. It's no big deal for them to go out on the street in the cold for a day or two so 45,000 visitors can come run a marathon right?

And no big deal that police, EMS and fire are trying to get people safe, just take them off the job and have them supervise a race... :noway:
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I was a bit surprised when I heard the race was still going on, but I think overall i am for that. I am sure most of the runners do not live in NY so they have already purchased plane tickets that they won't get money back from if the race is cancelled. Also the influx of money to the businesses is crucial. And money has been pledged to help NYC from the proceeds of the race. And it is an event to bring people together and give everyone something to cheer about. I am sure when we see it on TV, I have no doubt any story will include a phone number for people to call to donate money on their own. So run on!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Should have been rescheduled for MONTHS from now at the very least. Resources that could be MUCH better used elsewhere.
    I think it's ridiculous and frivolous and it actually makes me angry.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    It's appalling to keep the race going on schedule...

The amount of resources...money...police etc that goes into making it happen should be focused on people who are without power, underwater, and possibly hurt. It's a friggan race, people.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    There are always people eating out of dumpsters, without homes, without power. Always. All over the world. Why should anyone ever hold or run a marathon?

Or do those people not matter as much as someone who had a home, food, and power a week ago but doesn't now?

^^ This.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

The amount of resources...money...police etc that goes into making it happen should be focused on people who are without power, underwater, and possibly hurt. It's a friggan race, people.

that "friggin" race will generate 300 MILLION dollars to help the efforts

it's really an easy decision..............generate 300 million dollars or not
  • GrannySparkle
    Options
    Here is a complete list of those agencies who will be helping with the marathon.

This is the list of resources being used for the Marathon. Take a good look, and examine your consciences, do you really need these more than people that lost everything 7 days prior, and still have to deal with hyopthermia? OFFICIAL AGENCIES
    NYC Parks and Recreation
    City Parks Foundation
    Central Park Conservancy
    Department of Buildings
    Department of Environmental
    Protection
    Department of Sanitation
    Department of Transportation
    FDNY
    FDNY/EMS
    Mayor’s Office of Citywide Event
    Coordination & Management
    Mayor’s Office of Film Theater
    & Broadcasting
    MTA
    TBTA – MTA Bridges & Tunnels
    State of New York
    National Parks Service
    NYC Department of Education
    NYC Department of Health
    & Mental Hygiene
    NYC Sports Commission
    NYPD Port Authority of New York
    & New Jersey
    US Parks Police
    US Coast Guard
    US Army Reserve
    ARRL Ham Radio Operators
  • GrannySparkle
    Options

that "friggin" race will generate 300 MILLION dollars to help the efforts

it's really an easy decision..............generate 300 million dollars or not

It isn't an easy decision. Look at the agencies I posted. Those without food, electricity, and shelter could really use the people to help them. If those coming to NYC for the race had a heart and skipped it then donate the money they would have spent to local agencies...we would be much better off. I have strong ties to NYC, family and friends. Everyone who lives anywhere near the city is total against the race. There are to many people going with the basics right now.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Being from NY... HELL YES they should of postponed it, they are still rescuing people, they are still finding bodies of loved ones, the power is not back on in the direct and neighboring areas where the marathon is to be held,there are still areas flooded, the marathon its a huge event, it makes alot of money for the city but they had plenty of time before the storm and in the day or two after to perhaps move it two weeks or into early december before we got snow, hold it in the spring if need be. Its just too soon, the damage is raw and still being delt with, NYers are tough but we also have heart, the rest of the world needs to grow a heart as well and be sensitive to those in need and who are hurting, the world in its raw savage form will go on but as human beings we should be held to a higher standard, period. Not to mention adding a huge burden to an already devistated grief stricten area! Go celebrate your marathon win, if you can without looking around you at those standing nearby mourning their loss, people should carry on, we here on the internet are carrying on, but not so disrespectfully in the face of those in need, no you dont do this, you wouldnt sit and eat a thanksgiving meal right in the face of a starving family standing outside your window? Or would you? And yes refunds would be made in this type of thing for those who had booked hotels and airflights IF this was rescheduled by the city. Thats what trip insurance is for and anyone who doesnt purchase that is a fool. NO one would be out money. Sorry all I see total greed going on here, nothing else, nothing sadly surprising either, all for the almighty dollar eff human compassion, eff them all right?
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kris-lopresto/nyc-marathon-sandy_b_2061007.html

screw the marathon.

as a NYC Manhattanite I approve this message. Friggin zombies everywhere and Bloomberg stealing generators from FEMA for the marathon...instead of for the Red Cross or Polling Precincts!
  • GrannySparkle
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kris-lopresto/nyc-marathon-sandy_b_2061007.html

screw the marathon.

as a NYC Manhattanite I approve this message. Friggin zombies everywhere and Bloomberg stealing generators from FEMA for the marathon...instead of for the Red Cross or Polling Precincts!

Obama needs to step in and put a halt to the generators going to the marathon. Sorry but human basic needs are by far more important.