November Cycling Challenge

Options
Wow! November, already? It's time again for a new cycling thread. This thread is for anyone who wants to cycle. We have people from every level, whether they be pushing pedals for the first time since childhood or commuting to work or riding 25 miles a day. We welcome everyone.

We are a very casual group. Track however feels good to you. Some folks like to keep a running total, some like to track with a ticker. You can track miles, minutes, rpm's, whatever. I always feel like I should gauge my ride by how sore my bottom is.

Just get on that bike and go!

P.S. Indoor riders are also welcome.

Replies

• MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I'm back for my 3rd month since finding this awesome group/challenge !!!

The weather is getting colder and snow is in the forecast (I live in NH). Any daylight for riding is now limited to only on the weekends, so thanks to Mother Nature and Daylight Savings Time, I am forced to become an "indoor" rider. I spin 3x a week in the morning, so that's were my mileage counts will be coming from for the next couple of months.

Goal for November: 150 miles

**Good Luck to Everyone**
  • RogerF765
    Options
    I'm in for this month as well. It is fun to see how much I'm riding during my commute and such. For November I'm going to shoot for 400 miles.
  • gregsonevans
    gregsonevans Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Tried going for a ride after work with my stepson today but had to return home as he was too cold !!!
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/239155792
    Count:
    1 Activities
    Distance:
    3.83 mi
    Time:
    26:15 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:
    117 ft
    Avg Speed:
    8.8 mph
    Avg HR:
    88 bpm
    Calories:
    277 C
    Max Distance:
    3.83 mi
  • SteveCro
    SteveCro Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I am in setting my goal at 200 miles.
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is RaNae I live in Texas we still have great weather for riding. I weigh 343lbs and have been riding for I think 3 weeks now I have about 37 miles on my bike. My goal for November is 60 miles. Someday I want to take a cycling trip through
    Nova Scotia and England and Ireland etc etc etc lol
    I read recently in Bicycling Mag that Riding is like Meditation in Motion and I couldn't agree more.

Happy miles guys!!
    RaNae
    Luznit 1 Meal, 1 Snack, 1 Logged Calorie, 1 day at a time
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Back again! Every month I seem to fall short of my goal but I do get lots of riding in - Thanks for having this challenge again!

So this month I will set my goal at 250 miles. Cooler weather and shorter days are making it tougher to ride but I think I can make it this time!
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Mountain Bike (or Spin Class) - all "outdoor" distances via mapmyride

Nov. 2nd: 15 miles (*Spin Class*)

Total (so far): 15 miles
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I read recently in Bicycling Mag that Riding is like Meditation in Motion and I couldn't agree more.

Happy miles guys!!

Welcome RaNae! I love that thought. I've told my family, I do my workout videos for my body, I bike for my soul! After a beautiful, near 80 degree Halloween (yes, right on the heels of last weeks snow), yesterday we were in a heavy wind advisory. I don't have access to an indoor bike. I'm really not sure how I'll get my miles in with the changing weather.
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Goal 50 miles

Im in for the month....this thread has helped me set goals and go beyond...I hesitate to set a goal with the upcoming time change, weather( I live on the northeastern part of the US), and hunters in the woods where I bike...so Ill say my goal will be less than the 2 previous months ... it will be for 50 miles...I hope I can get more in with spin classes...I've also really enjoyed reading about everyone's goals and progress...

Happy November Challenge!!!!
  • gregsonevans
    gregsonevans Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I might be going away for work for a few weeks next week so I am reluctant to set a target unless I can take my bike with me, 28 miles today in the bitter cold this morning
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/239361955
    Count:
    2 Activities
    Distance:
    31.84 mi
    Time:
    2:28:06 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:
    1,550 ft
    Avg Speed:
    12.9 mph
    Avg HR:
    117 bpm
    Calories:
    2,275 C
    Max Distance:
    28.01 mi
  • EweCreekCottage
    Options

Welcome RaNae! I love that thought. I've told my family, I do my workout videos for my body, I bike for my soul! After a beautiful, near 80 degree Halloween (yes, right on the heels of last weeks snow), yesterday we were in a heavy wind advisory. I don't have access to an indoor bike. I'm really not sure how I'll get my miles in with the changing weather.

Thanks for the welcome it is beautiful here gonna be 89 today- a tad hot for me don't know if we will ever see fall lol....probably just shoot straight into winter.

Maybe you can buy a used indoor training stand and ride your own bike at home my husband has done that- big tip is to put a throw rug under it that can easily be thrown into the wash.

Here are my stats for today - first have to say I am really proud I made a goal I thought was impossible 3 weeks ago when I started I rode all the way to the exit of our subdivision and it is all incline from where I live lol.
    Weather- awesome warm very little breeze not a cloud in the sky
    Distance 3.95 my longest I have ever rode at one time
    Time- 33.25 minutes.
    Goal 60~ 56.05 left
    very little coasting I always try to keep peddling otherwise whats the point? lol

Have a great safe ride everyone.
    RaNae
  • deckthomas
    deckthomas Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In for 300
  • RiotMTB
    RiotMTB Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Im in...but because sometimes I will road ride, sometimes mountain bike, and if the weather is crap I will ride the trainer (huge fan of the Sufferfest videos!!), I will track by time (throw in ride stats when possible).

Nov 1 was 76 minutes on the trainer (to Local Hero)
    Nov 2 (today) was 62 minute road rode for 33.5km (20.8 miles), for an average pace of 32.2km/hr (20.01 mi/hr).
  • maxroadrash
    maxroadrash Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm in.
  • amp162
    amp162 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this cycling challenge. I love bike riding. I have a hybrid that I haven't touched since I bought my road bike. I also have a spinner bike for off season.

I attend spin classes 2x per week with a great instructor. I will work towards 3-5 days spinning for November.

I am doing my first indoor stationery bike race tomorrow. Really excited. It's to raise money for handicapped children.

Looking forward to the challenge.
  • EweCreekCottage
    Options

I am doing my first indoor stationery bike race tomorrow. Really excited. It's to raise money for handicapped children.

Looking forward to the challenge.

Best of luck to you sounds like fun
  • cyclenut64
    Options
    I am in for 300 in November, days are getting shorter, winter is coming, don’t have snow tires, some miles might be inside.
  • marrizia
    marrizia Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! This is my first time joining the challenge and I'm really excited! Last month, I attempted the MS 150 bike ride for the first time in three years. I came in short by 20 miles, however was happy to find I had fallen in love with my bike again. I'm not a fast rider (yet); my plan is to gain speed and endurance while losing weight. I'm setting my goal at 200 miles this month- have done 39 so far :)

Thank you for starting this thread, and happy cycling to you all!
  • deckthomas
    deckthomas Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Friday: 26.7 miles Commute to work
    Saturday: 25.2 miles morning ride---> 51.9 miles so far
  • weepywhitedavy
    Options
    I'm in for November.
    It's getting cold here in the Northeast so you have to squeeze the miles in while you can. 97 miles so far. If I can keep up THAT pace, I'll have 970 miles for the month........(Fraid not !).