Jillian Michaels - Your views?

Options
I have come across a fair amount of criticism of her methods in training, and of her using poor and dangerous form in her Kettlebell DVDs, and also criticism of her series where apparently, she had a woman doing a 5k with a knee injury.

Do you think her heart and her goals are in the right place, or that she is now basically only doing this for money and prestige?
Do you think she has adequate credentials to be producing the DVDs she does ?

I am curious as to the views of others.

Replies

• kimmywodrich
    kimmywodrich Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't have much background info on her, but when I live back home during breaks, I workout to her videos on Comcast. She's got effective moves, and she's great at what she does. Plus, what she says and how she looks are fantastic motivators. So overall, I'd say I do like her, and I know enough to know that if an exercise doesn't feel natural/it hurts (not in the good way) to not do it.
  • frogz21
    frogz21 Posts: 314
    Options
    All I know is I have done well on the 30DS & BFBM dvds. My SO cannot stand her though. Said she is ugly.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I feel, that in terms of 'The Biggest Loser', she sometimes seems to treat members of her team like some sort of subhuman creatures, for example, when she is sticking her foot on their backs when they are working out and the like, and yelling. Of course, it might just be for the purpose of audience effect, but it always strikes me as somewhat wrong. I feel certain you can get people to workout hard without that sort of behaviour.

Not seen her workout DVDs, I know many here do and have done them, but have read a fair few criticisms of her form from other personal trainers around the net.
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    I've gotten results BUT HAVE TO HAVE HER ON MUTE!!!!!! ....UGH,......She's sooo full of herself.
  • She knows her onions. I like her a lot, too.
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i like her. i like her style of pushing and motivating. i prefer to be yelled obscenities to in order to squeeze out one last push-up/sit-up/10 more seconds on my plank...whatever. but that is me. i know there are people out there who like yoga and breathing techniques and calming the soul and whatnot which all drives me nuts. i hate the "yoga voice" that all yoga instructors have. i want to sweat, i want to get my *kitten* kicked, i want it to hurt. that's what works for me.
  • sullyboo
    sullyboo Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've gotten results BUT HAVE TO HAVE HER ON MUTE!!!!!! ....UGH,......She's sooo full of herself.

Me to !!!! Crank up my music and ignore her jabber
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Honestly. I love her. LOVE HER LOVE HER LOVE HER. I have gotten amazing results from her products. I have tried SOOO many other programs but the only ones that seem to really work for me are hers. Yes, her personality comes off a little rough but I honestly think that is just a character made up for entertainment value. She has a good heart, she's done a lot of work in Haiti and just adopted a baby from there. Her heart seems in the right place. I absolutely love her and I'd love to meet her!
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I think she's great. Of course she comes off insensitive on TV- that is the persona that the producers have built for her and that she has to perform on her own DVDs. But her moves are effective and bring people results. Who knows how she acts outside of the public eye anyway?
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I love her, I think she's a legend. She might be tough and a little over powering at times but she gets results.
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I've been using 30DS and I like it and her approach. I do find it slightly amusing as it starts and she walks in with a real male swagger though :smile:
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    She isn't there to talk all sweet through her DVD's. If done the way she said its to be done, she gets results. That's what matters, doesn't it?

That woman is a BEAST! And I appreciate what she is doing.
  • sullyboo
    sullyboo Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I love her on biggest loser and love her workout DVDs but some of her "motivation" chats gets a bit tedious when you've done the same level a few times it gets a bit grating !!! But I guess that works for some people ;)
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have to admit the 30 Day Shred works, but I can't stand the woman herself. Give me Leslie Sansone any day!
  • jeyko
    jeyko Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with her! LOL. I love the workouts....although I do tend to yell at the tv a lot while doing them!
  • fstephanie4
    fstephanie4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    She's openly admitted that she is mean on the biggest loser to be mean to them so they work hard. That being said being mean doesn't always help.

However, she has come a long way in life. She was over weight and bullied as a child so made the choice to lose weight...we can ALL relate to that in some way or another. Therefore I believe that she does these videos because she knows how we feel, she knows that all we need to do is believe in ourself and in my opinion I need the push to believe in myself.

And in all honesty, I don't care if shes doing it for the money now! Because she has given me confidence to exercise, she was the first dvd I looked at and completed and I feel fantastic. She has given me more results then I expected so if she get money from it so what!

We all have to make a living some how. I haven't gained weight with her, I've lost it, and inches!

And yes I do shout at her a lot but it helps!!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I like a drill sergeant trainer better than one who is all rainbows and butterflies.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I really like her workouts, but the banter gets old REALLY fast. Especially during Killer Buns and Thighs. I've only done that dvd a few times because I can't stand the chit chat.
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options

I do the same thing. I like her workouts (haven't and won't be doing any kettle bell workouts so no comment there) but she is obnoxious. I just turn on some tunes so I don't have to listen to her.

I think she is good at what she does BUT as she has gotten more popular I think she's in it for the money/publicity more now than before.
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I liked her at first, and for a 25 min workout its good, but I got tired of her, and now I love p90x. Yeah its longer, but I am fit now, and and hour isnt so bad. Plus he is funny and way nicer than Jillian. OMG I could not take an hour long video of her.