Getting Upset When People Notice?

Options

Replies

• MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me at all...not sure why. My weight isnt something that has ever embarrassed me to talk about. I was little then gained 60 lbs after quitting smoking. I had 3 people approach me about the weight I gained and it never occurred to me to get mad at them. I used to do swimming pool maintenance and it was all people from work. One was the girl in the office, one another maintenance tech and the other an older man that was a favorite customer. All 3 talked to me privately and out of concern. Asking what was going on in my life to gain so much so quickly and if they could help with anything. I responded honestly with no hurt feelings. Later I was telling my friend about it and she said she would have been pissed. I couldn't be mad it made me realize that other people noticed and I needed to fix it. Now when people notice I've lost I love it. I really think they are only trying to compliment you.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused by your post - I'll explain. If you change your appearance in any way people will notice - people notice if I change my shirt into something bright, I notice if my friend has a running kit on instead of their shirt and tie. When you lose weight people will notice - I think you can agree on this. So it seems to me the problem you are feeling (which is genuine) is not that they have noticed - the only way to avoid this is to move home and start a new job, the problem is that they have said they have noticed. How come people voicing something that is obvious and intended to be a compliment be taken as something that upsets part of you. I'm asking the question for you to answer to yourself. Is it that you think that because they have noticed the loss then internally part of you seems to think they think you are doing if for them - or perhaps you feel some sort of pressure to comply and do more from there comment ? there is something human, irrational (like parts of all of us) that is going on here. A way though this is to think - think that they are only complimenting you rather than giving you an instruction. Think - they are separate from you - the words they say ar their words for them - they don't have to affect you in the slightest. If you are brave then think and feel what you are feeling and see where in your past it comes from - what is going on is psychodynamic and there is some conflict inside you that could do with resolving. I'm gonig to say this again though - we all have such things going on - sometimes they jump up and make us feel bad like yours has - I'd suggest you read some information on transactional analysis on the web (or get a book - either what do you say after you say hello by Erick Burns or TA Today by Stewart). this is of course if you want to stop feeling bad. If you are ok with the negative feelings and just wish people would shut up (which they are not going to) then that's ok to. What I rally think though is that you shouldn't give people power over you and what you feel - don't choose to let them make you feel upset or bad - its up to you.

Good luck and keep being brilliant just like you are :-)
  • kaylabrianna
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel - I was an inpatient because I'm battling with anorexia, and when I came out of the treatment center a year later and saw people from my school it was so so difficult to hold it together. I could feel them staring me down, talking about the weight I had lost. It was extremely difficult, it still is. I avoid seeing people altogether because of that day.
  • michelleProv
    Options
    your not alone we all go threw this i think some people like the attention but for me also i dont realy like people asking cause i feel like if i fail they will all know i failed lol but what ever i guess
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Someone else here posted that people asked him (or her) if she was sick, or what was up with the weight loss. The funny thing is (I'm a 5' 11" man) that no one said anything until I lost about 40 lbs...now all i hear is ..."DUDE ARE YOU OK?! YOU DON'T HAVE CANCER OR SOMETHING, DO YOU?! YOUR FACE LOOKS ALL SUCKED IN" LOL...that just tells you how skewed our idea of "normal" has become.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid of the "there she goes again when will she gain it back" too, but I figure they cant see the change in my mind. The change that knows I will always have a food addiction, and I want to be better I want to have a healthy relationship w/ food and my body. I guess its realizing their opinions and thoughts whether good or bad dont matter in the end I'm doing the for myself and for me only.
  • LaylaLoses
    Options
    I haven't lost any weight yet, this go-round, but I think I know what you're talking about. In the past, I felt the same shame when someone noticed I'd dropped a few (and it was always only a few before I fell and gained it all back plus some) that I do now when anyone sees me with food. For me it's about being so embarrassed that I let myself go this far. When I'm at the grocery, I imagine that people are gawking, thinking to themselves, "Take a look at that miserable cow!"

A few weeks ago a group of teenaged (I'm ASSuming) girls openly pointed and laughed at me in the store. It was the single most humiliating experience of my life. I have never felt less like a human being. I looked a fright (it was a quick jaunt out to get some milk), but didn't think I looked THAT bad.

I think until I'm actually successful with my weight loss, it'll feel like the beginning of a failed effort and that people are already judging me.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's not THEM, it's me. :P

I think a major part of this journey is learning to love myself and not assume people are thinking horrible things about me.
  • neasha27
    Options
    I seriously never thought people would dislike when a friend or relative said ´are u losing weight?´.. We all are here for that, cause we wanna get healthier, happier, look better...
    I dont understand why some get upset when people finally see a change in us. Im so damn proud of where i am right, I could never EVER get upset with a comment like that, quite as opossite, I get upset when people i havent seen in a long time see me and dont say a damn word about how different I look :grumble:

but oh well.. to each their own!

My sentiments exactly!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I used to get very uncomfortable with people commenting and asking me about what I was doing. I'd be very short with them. Now, I love the comments. Still a little short with them. I get all sorts of questions now like what do you eat, what do you eat for breakfast, how much meat do you eat, how long do you exercise, blah blah blah blah! I'm more open now though.

Just give it some time.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I just feel that if someone had a gambling addiction, or smoking addiction, or something along those lines they were trying to beat, it's often done so quietly other people don't notice. For those of us that struggle with a food addiction, it's like we're wearing a sign that says "FOOD IS MY ADDICTION! YOU WATCHED ME GET FAT, NOW WATCH MY PRIVATE STRUGGLE AS I TRY TO BEAT IT".
    It's definitely understandable, but even with other kinds of addictions, it's not always the same for everyone. A good family friend of mine had serious gambling addiction years ago; while she won't go around broadcasting about it on a soapbox, she's not ashamed to admit it in public either, because it's all in the past. Same with a friend who happens to be an ex-smoker... She's proud that she beat the addiction.

Like with most things, it's different for each person. Someone close to me is struggling with a MAJOR addiction (not food) but has taken the first step to beating it. I will be so proud of him when he's victorious, but I may have to be careful on how to express my feelings in case he's sensitive about it.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It only bothers me when it's the only thing they can think of or want to talk to me about especially with those certain people who know from a lifetime of experience judge my value as a human being on how much I weigh and how "cute" and "fashionable" I am (something that has never concerned me much as long as I am clean, comfortable, modest and appropriate --I am happy). But the best thing to do is just say thanks for noticing and change the subject. If they keep bringing it up, find a reason to be somewhere else. I'm doing this for my own reasons, not to get anyone's approval or make anyone like me better and if anyone is going to change their opinion of me, for better or worse, because of ANY aspect of my physical body, that's not someone I need to waste my energy trying to please anyway. I'll go hang with those who like me just as I am no matter what my body does. I do find it odd in an amusing sort of way when people tell me how "skinny" I'm getting and how I am going to turn sideways and disappear....mostly because, even though I do give myself credit for the progress I've made so far and the fact that just as my oldest turns 14 I have FINALLY lost almost all the baby weight plus some.....but this was only ever the first major milestone...I still have 50 some pounds to go. But I realized I should just take the compliments gracefully but with a grain of salt, because most of the people that are important to me at this point of my life have never known me this light so it looks skinny to them. Besides myself, only my birth family has ever seen me at my goal weight and that was like 30 years ago so I can't blame anyone for not knowing just how small I can really be or that I haven't always been big. I just got one new pair of pants yesterday that aren't falling off -14s. Haven't been there in a while--and I appreciate the accomplishment BUT I WILL be a 6 again. That's what size I am when I am at my goal weight --I know because I remember being there. So smile, nod, move on.....they can only see the outside.....they can't actually see the struggle inside your head and your heart. They can't see the real you, the part that really matters. So if you don't want to discuss it with them....then don't. Save that for those who you really care about and really care about you no matter what you look like and struggle with!!
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I like when people notice and tell me how great I'm looking.. I think I look so much better too. I feel bad when people I know well don't notice or say anything, but then I'm an observant person and always comment on my friend's and co-workers, new hair do's clothes, makeup, whatever. I think we all need to hear positive comments. It never means I didn't like them the other way too, just that I noticed they put a lot of effort into something new.
  • Nette_54
    Nette_54 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I would take it as a compliment though I can understand where you are coming from but for me I was disappointed when family I hadn't seen for a while hadn't noticed my hard work and the weight I had lost......
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I would take it as a compliment though I can understand where you are coming from but for me I was disappointed when family I hadn't seen for a while hadn't noticed my hard work and the weight I had lost......

Maybe they did notice but didn't want to make you feel self-conscious? Did you tell them you were trying? I don't tell people I notice unless I know they are working at it and the reason I know is because they told me.
  • Nettie96fb
    Options
    I personally would be really peeved if my friends didn't notice I had lost weight. I talk about my journey openly and freely, I encourage encouragement ... I love going down the street and people saying 'wow, you've lost weight' cos 'yes, I have'..and I feel great about it...:) good luck with you demons...I hope you learn to enjoy the pleasure of the compliments
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I think the difference between the OP and the comments that say that they'd be upset if people DIDN'T notice is that the latter are ready for people to notice, ready and confident they can/will do it and have had something click in their minds where they believe they deserve to be healthy. OP, I don't know you personally, but I know depression and I have experienced the feelings you have described. It takes work to believe in yourself. And it takes effort on your part to protect yourself from the people around you and their (often well-meaning) comments until you are ready and able to face them. Do you have support around you, e.g. a psychologist and/or a dietician (or GP) who understands depression and the connection with food issues? If not, what kind of support do you have around you?

Also, to the person who said that their friends don't minds others knowing about their previous struggles with addiction, remember this. Those friends are talking about PAST addictions whereas the OP is talking about a CURRENT addiction. There is a big difference in mindset between the two.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    For anyone who decides to change their life and drop the weight, it's inevitable that eventually someone is going to notice. Does anyone else get upset when this happens?

Let me explain. I have been obese my entire life. The lightest I can remember is when I briefly dropped to 195 before climbing to my highest at 265. I was up and down for years. It really is true that if you're not ready to change mentally, it's just not going to happen.

63 days ago, I decided I was done. I mentally felt ready to say goodbye for good. This was a huge deal for me, as I'm not overweight just because I like food (a lot). I'm overweight because I also struggle with binge eating disorder and depression, which seem to go so very nicely together. Mentally, I finally feel ready to battle this demon.

So I started eating better. Not clean (yet!), but have made major changes. I try to be active. I have dropped 15-18 lbs in that 63 day period...not a drastic amount, but enough that people are starting to notice. I am down a pant size.

My best friend asked me the other night if I am dropping weight, and I said yes. But inside, I kind of freaked out. This is such a personal battle for me, such a demon of addiction, that I want to battle by myself. I NEED to do this for me, but I almost wish other people couldn't see what I'm battling with. Addiction to food or ANY substance is such a personal battle, it's kind of embarrassing for me to know that other people can see my struggle. They've seen me lose and gain multiple times over the years, and I always wonder if they're thinking "here she goes again!".

I'm not sure if any of that made sense...does anyone else feel this way?

I dont care if ppl notice. I get upset when someone ask me how much I weigh or how much I lost.

If you set your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8987-serious-diet-support-group
    '

take a DEEEEEEEP breath!!!! and relax.. I understand what your saying... I really do.. and I toally agree wih the addiction/getting rid of that demond.. big time... but just look at the 'immediate picture/reality".. your friend sees you... you HAVE lost 15 pounds! (great job btw) and a pant size.. so yes she noticed... and in reality .. it would be worse if you made these changed and are doing well and loosing wt and nobody noticed at all!!??!?! that would make me :sad: ... try to take your 'deep rooted emotions' outta the simple compliment... and just look at the REALITY/picture of what it is.. you loosing wt/body changing...DONT analyze it more then what it is

xx
  • debdelilah
    Options
    ***Mini-rant***

My father went on dialysis in 2008, when he was almost 58 and I was almost 28....I had volunteered to be a donor if he qualified for a transplant, which it turns out he may not, due to other conditions. At the time my dad started thinking about a transplant and going through that process, I had already started my weight loss - I started at a BMI about 127(I am 5'4 and weighed about 158 at the start of it, near the end of January 2009. By March, I was no longer medically overweight, by April I had lost 30 lbs, and weight continued to come off when I was in maintenance and not trying to lose, which put my weight at 114 lbs several months later.

During the middle of my weightloss process, and when I was down enough that I had a healthy BMI, I had doctors/dieticians/medical professionals at my father's dialysis center who made pointed comments about donors and weight loss - for instance, and I'm almost quoting, they would say to my father in my presence, "You obviously don't need to lose weight, but a donor also has to be under a certain weight to qualify to give the transplant." This was said more than once in my presence...
    The social workers and nurses at the dialysis center knew me when I was 158, but the comments never came up then, as my fathers' doctor at the veteran's hospital did not consider him a transplant candidate initially. I found it strange that they did not notice my weight loss or consider the possibility that I might not be overweight anymore, given that they had no way of knowing my height/weight.. The comments BEGAN when I was 140 lbs and no longer medically overweight, and I found it offensive and discouraging. Not only did they NOT comment on my weight LOSS at this time, but it was as though they expected that I must be heavy because someone might have noted it on a chart or paperwork for my father in the past(based on speculation, because at that time I didn't have my donor card, and had not been weighed or had an exam). His doctor at the VA hospital made similar comments.

When my weight loss was extreme enough for them to notice, I continued to find their comments impolite/unhelpful/discouraging:

*Me with my dad at an appointment several months after I lost weight,, wearing a bulky winter coat and baggy pants - the dr. made the weight comment again, while looking closely at me.

*Around my lowest(in the one-teens) - my father's dietician complimented me on my weight loss and then asked if I was still losing. I said that I had lost the weight months before and was not still losing. The comment was not encouraging, because I wasn't sure whether she was implying she still thought I was fat, or saying something to the effect that she worries about people regaining weight - after all, when I'm near the very bottom of my weight range for height, why would I still be losing? I had finished losing weight months before this, and considered it a negative comment because I didn't even think about maintaining my weight at that point- it came automatically. The smaller me was who I was and I felt comfortable with it, but this compliment, though well intended, jolted me and made me wonder how others see my body. I realize it is possible that she was worried I was losing too much weight, but given that she herself looks very petite, I didn't think that was likely. I also was disturbed that she paid that much attention to my weight, when I had never exceeded 15 lbs over a healthy BMI.

*I get many comments about being tiny now- and I know my body fat percentage measured 17% at my gym when I started there and I think should be as low or lower now. But I don't have a feminine or pretty shape and never did - so when I have ANY cushion, even if I'm not overweight, maybe some people think my lack of shape is because I'm overweight? But I got more flirtations when I was about 140 than when I was heavier and also more than now, when lighter.

I have come to the conclusion that it's VERY hard to be a woman in America, as far as "ideal weight" goes. Other people's ideas of ideal weight can differ radically.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I use to get upset, now I think about it, I'm 120 lbs lighter then a lot of people remember me. I haven't seen a lot of people in a long time since I do not live in my home town. So if they didn't notice I'd be offended lol. I expect to hear it now, just because I know most of these people haven't seen me in 3 yrs or so.

Where I live now most people know me as I am now so they didn't know me big. When I tell them how much I've lost I get the "Where did you put an extra 120 lbs???" Or when I show my before photo's I get the whole "That don't even look like you, that isn't you." The only way I can pin point that it is me, is I have a scar on my right arm.
  • DoingItNow2012
    DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey. You will definitely have to work on the guilt and shame issues. People will notice, and the sooner you wrap your head around that the better it will be for you. I know it's scary to be so vulnerable and it obviously means a lot to you to lose the weight. So, it can be painfully to have set backs. I hope you find some great support here and if you don't, I hope you seek it elsewhere. Personally, I don't think you have anything to be ashamed of. We all have a story and our own path to travel. For most people, weightloss is a journey with ups and downs. Stay positive and keep the end goal in mind.