62 pounds gone...But did you have to EXERCISE????

Options
I'm a shop owner in a small town and everyone is noticing how much better I look. When I tell them I've lost 62 pounds, they inevitably ask "How did you do it?" I explain that I changed my eating habits, counted calories on MFP, did Herbalife shakes and vitamins.

Then they ask "But did you have to exercise?" They get a disdainful look on their faces as if they would rather eat nails for dinner or take multiple colonics or fast; anything but exercise! It's remarkable how many times people have said this to me. I always say "Yes, I had to exercise, but I enjoy it now," but they smile and turn away as if the subject of exercise has ended their interest in weight loss. Has anyone else who has lost weight encountered this? Doesn't it seem that people are naive to believe there is a way of losing weight without effort?

Replies

• Deb_smiles
    Deb_smiles Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It always makes me sad when I hear people talk like this......Yes, there will be some effort, yes you will sweat, yes you will be short of breath......for a little while. Then the rest of your day takes on a whole new shine! I have pretty much come to the conclusion that I can exercise every day for a minimum of 30 minutes, or I can be on an anti-depressant. It makes that much of a difference for me! Plus I have greater flexibility, mobility, I feel rejuvenated and de-stressed! Just keep on shining girl and let the new you do the advertising! You don't have to win them over. Sooner or later they are going to be desperate for the fresh beginning that you have!
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot. I just laugh and say "Of course, I'm not interested in loose skin later on." It's so funny how that's the one thing people refuse to do, as if playing volleyball in the sunshine is some daunting task. I suppose people can lose weight just by reducing calories, but that doesn't complete a healthy lifestyle. We're made to move, so let's do it! Congrats on your weight loss btw, I love to see such dedicated people.
  • readanddance
    readanddance Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Your post made me smile as I can relate to those who smile and turn away. My first month on MFP has concluded, and I have made small changes that are doable for me. Exercise has not been a priority during the first month. Now, as I approach my next 30 days, I am gradually adding in more activity.

Why the smile/grimace? It is based on my personal historical experience with losing weight and exercising. Still, when I think of exercise, I think of pain, going beyond your comfort level, etc. It is boring, hard, and hurts. Almost a "no pain = no gain" mentality. Pre-MFP, exercise only counted if it was in a gym, on a treadmill, and took at least an hour. (Side note.....with an eating disorder, I had very distorted views on exercise.) And yet, I did not consider dance or walking or swimming to be "working out" as those were fun.

It's taken time on MFP to realize that exercise can be anything and can be enjoyable That exercise does not need to consume my life to burn calories. When I think of exercise, my first inclination is to shudder. Then, I get started.

For the people in the shop, I wonder if it would help to add in a sentence about, "Yes, I exercise. It took me some attempts to find something that I enjoy doing, but I enjoy....." If nothing else, it allows them to start contemplating the possibilities. Since everyone is on their own journey, it may or may not generate a conversation. That's ok.
  • shelleyspots
    Options
    Seriously! I walk my poodle two miles a day, and it's the best part of the day! I feel energized, and victorious and my dog loves it too. I hit the gym twice a week for a little weight lifting, swimming, but not too much. It's the consistent walks that are really paying off. What's not to love?
  • mls4455
    Options
    I must be the exact opposite of a lot of people cause I enjoy exercising it's the dieting and eating healthy part I don't care for. I would much rather eat junk food than vegetables, but I know I have to eat healthy and exercise to lose weight cause if I just do one or the other, I'll basically just maintain my current weight and wouldn't get anywhere.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    This thing that always bothered me on my first weight loss journey (from 175-133) was people saying they were jealous and that I was "lucky". That irritates me to no end. I know you ALL can relate. We aren't lucky. We're dedicated, we sweat, we forced ourselves to start bettering our bodies. Luck has nothing to do with it. Heart does
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I hear this all the time with people asking me how I lost 60 lbs. But I did NOT exercise at all when I lost 60 lbs. Maybe once here and there but all I did was count my calories and it came off. So yes, it's VERY possible to lose a lot of weight without exercising but it's still hard work whether you exercise or not. And some exercises I love to do and others I dread. LOL But it's all part of the lifestyle change.
  • MidgetGidget
    Options
    A few years back I lost over 60 lbs and was only a few pounds away from my goal. I remember that I wasn't proud of the weight loss really or the healthy eating. I was proud of my physical fitness. I was at the gym at least 3 days a week, taking aerobics classes and was power walking 1/2 marathons in under 3 hours. That from being a couch potato.
    I know many of you won't agree, but getting the eating under control is relatively easy in comparison to the exercising. You have to eat, the only thing you need to control is what and how much. But the exercise... not so much, you can just choose not to do it. The hardest thing is getting up off your butt, getting prepped and walking out that door. If you get that far, it's an amazing thing... but it's getting there that is the hardest part of a healthy lifestyle.
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I've lost 53lbs in the last 5 months and I get people asking how I've lost the weight, but when you actually tell them - healthy eating and exercise, they lose interest.

It seems everyone wants you to say you've found some magic pill and the weight just melted off with no effort :laugh:
  • jenniferrow
    Options
    Yes, I've had friends and relatives ask me how I'm losing weight. I'm very happy to tell them, but then I hear tons of exuses why they can't do the same. I don't want to argue, so I just smile. Weight loss is such a mental thing. When they're ready, they'll do it.
  • shelleyspots
    Options
    A few years back I lost over 60 lbs and was only a few pounds away from my goal. I remember that I wasn't proud of the weight loss really or the healthy eating. I was proud of my physical fitness. I was at the gym at least 3 days a week, taking aerobics classes and was power walking 1/2 marathons in under 3 hours. That from being a couch potato.
    I know many of you won't agree, but getting the eating under control is relatively easy in comparison to the exercising. You have to eat, the only thing you need to control is what and how much. But the exercise... not so much, you can just choose not to do it. The hardest thing is getting up off your butt, getting prepped and walking out that door. If you get that far, it's an amazing thing... but it's getting there that is the hardest part of a healthy lifestyle.
    I agree. Now that it's colder in the mornings, I have to really psych myself up to get out there and walk! Getting my butt out the door is hard some mornings, but I talk myself into it. I guess that's what a lot of people think about when they ask if I had to exercise.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I love how you put this! It is so true. A shine is such a great way of describing it. I feel more powerful, confident, happy, at ease, etc etc when exercising is a part of my life.
    Yes, there will be some effort, yes you will sweat, yes you will be short of breath......for a little while. Then the rest of your day takes on a whole new shine!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I've been asked that, too, and get the same frowns about it when I respond with something like "That's the best part because I feel so much younger now that I'm stronger, have more endurance, and am able to do more fun things because of it. Use it or lose it! I want to go out dancing, not sitting in a rocker" Whatever, you get the idea. I've had quite a few people who have said that they've never thought of it that way so, hopefully, they have been inspired to make some changes.

I post on Facebook sometimes about my little fitness victories, like biking a century, running in my first race in 30+ years, whatever, and I do get a lot of positive comments on there with a lot of people telling me how inspiring I am to them. So that's the main reason I post those things. Not to brag but to inspire. I believe it's helping a bit. At least two friends are now riding their bikes semi-regularly because of it and another has taken up running.

Anyway, I would suggest that your own approach to the matter may help make a difference. Saying something like "yeah, it was hard at first but I enjoy it now" is a bit of a negative statement, imho. It almost sounds apologetic. But giving them a big smile and saying with enthusiasm how the exercise is so much fun, may give you a bit better of a response.
  • ezwryder
    Options
    Weight loss is such a mental thing.

That's the big "secret" right there, in seven words.
  • shelleyspots
    Options
    I've been asked that, too, and get the same frowns about it when I respond with something like "That's the best part because I feel so much younger now that I'm stronger, have more endurance, and am able to do more fun things because of it. Use it or lose it! I want to go out dancing, not sitting in a rocker" Whatever, you get the idea. I've had quite a few people who have said that they've never thought of it that way so, hopefully, they have been inspired to make some changes.

I post on Facebook sometimes about my little fitness victories, like biking a century, running in my first race in 30+ years, whatever, and I do get a lot of positive comments on there with a lot of people telling me how inspiring I am to them. So that's the main reason I post those things. Not to brag but to inspire. I believe it's helping a bit. At least two friends are now riding their bikes semi-regularly because of it and another has taken up running.

Anyway, I would suggest that your own approach to the matter may help make a difference. Saying something like "yeah, it was hard at first but I enjoy it now" is a bit of a negative statement, imho. It almost sounds apologetic. But giving them a big smile and saying with enthusiasm how the exercise is so much fun, may give you a bit better of a response.

Great suggestion, thanks! I would love to inspire people to get out there and just take a walk. Exercise doesn't have to be hard. Once you get started its fun.
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This thing that always bothered me on my first weight loss journey (from 175-133) was people saying they were jealous and that I was "lucky". That irritates me to no end. I know you ALL can relate. We aren't lucky. We're dedicated, we sweat, we forced ourselves to start bettering our bodies. Luck has nothing to do with it. Heart does

This
  • smilesalot1969
    Options

It seems everyone wants you to say you've found some magic pill and the weight just melted off with no effort :laugh:

^^^^^^
    THIS
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I remember a few months ago, I posted something about my weight loss on my facebook, some people commented saying the typical, good job, how are you doing it? and blah blah. I just said, If Im doing it, you can do it as well, then this girl that i went to school with said ´no, you know im so damn lazy, If i have to exercise , I pass...´
    It didnt bother me back then, but now that I remember I just feel sorry for her, she is missing it!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    When people see me and I have lost a dramatic amount of weight they always seem to ask as if there is a magic potion or quick fix. When they hear they have to exercise they go back to smoking their cigarettes and cups of tampico. Its a shame, just walking around your neighborhood helps wonders.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I'm not originally from the U.S. My thoughts on this subject are that because one has to take a car/public transport to get anywhere, daily walking is unusual. People have to actually set aside time to walk in the U.S. In many other countries in the world, walking is a normal part of life - you walk to and from work, to and from the grocery store, to and from the doctor's office, to and from a friend's house. You get your daily exercise (and your plate of pasta!) without considering it exercise.

In the U.S. the distances are so great that you need transportation for everything. So yeah, walking is something you do because you have to carve out an hour or more from an already full day and most are unwilling to do so.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!