Single Mom leaves no tip

Options

Replies

• lightweightdiva
    lightweightdiva Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    When I was a server we called it a "verbal tip" whenever someone would repeatedly tell you what a great server you were... chances are they weren't going to leave you a good tip. It's amazing how people know it's wrong, but they continue to screw their servers over.

Regardless of your opinions about our tipping culture, it's important that you know that not only is server wage incredibly low, but servers frequently have to tip out bussers/hosts/bartenders/etc. I worked at a place where I had to tip out 20% of my total tips, but at other restaurants I've worked out we had to tip out a percentage based on our SALES. Which means that a server can owe money if someone doesn't tip them enough. On top of that, servers are usually there early to prep and stay after the last customer leaves to clean the entire restaurant, while still getting paid a couple dollars an hour. So, please consider that when you think that waiting too long for your diet coke refill is reason enough for not tipping 20%.

**Steps off soapbox**
  • lightweightdiva
    lightweightdiva Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    BULL!!! A bill that large should have had tip added in...

No, usually there has to be a certain minimum of people in order to add an automatic gratuity, and at some restaurants those people have to be over a certain age to count into the total.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    When I was a server we called it a "verbal tip" whenever someone would repeatedly tell you what a great server you were... chances are they weren't going to leave you a good tip. It's amazing how people know it's wrong, but they continue to screw their servers over.

Regardless of your opinions about our tipping culture, it's important that you know that not only is server wage incredibly low, but servers frequently have to tip out bussers/hosts/bartenders/etc. I worked at a place where I had to tip out 20% of my total tips, but at other restaurants I've worked out we had to tip out a percentage based on our SALES. Which means that a server can owe money if someone doesn't tip them enough. On top of that, servers are usually there early to prep and stay after the last customer leaves to clean the entire restaurant, while still getting paid a couple dollars an hour. So, please consider that when you think that waiting too long for your diet coke refill is reason enough for not tipping 20%.

**Steps off soapbox**

I left a comment much earlier, so you'll see i do tip well if service is good, but thank you for this information, I honestly had no idea, this is definitely the most detailed info i've had on the service industry, if you can call it that. Thanks again.
  • JosephVitte
    Options
    I can't understand the 'tip' thing at all. Is the waiter not getting paid at all to do the job? I don't get a 'tip' for cooking the family a meal. It's my job.

Its pretty much common knowledge that waitress make about $1-4 an hour from their employers...with the exception im sure but most of their income DOES come from tips. I have always operated under the assumption that If you cannot afford to tip at least %15 for a meal then there is probably a McD's across the street.

It isn't/wasn't common knowledge to me, maybe more common knowledge for people in that "world", I had no idea waiters/waitresses make 1-4 dollars an hour? Doesn't seem legal. is this in certain states, certain types of restaurants.........it just seems hard for me to believe.

Yeah I guess it may not be common knowledge to everyone but usually that is how it works. But it is most certainly common knowledge to tip for good service.

Besides if you eat at the same place frequently, the servers will remember you and go that extra mile to make your experience all that much better. I get my food the way I want it, fast and curteous service and she gets a good tip....seems fair to me.

good service good tip, absolutely, thanks for the info!
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I can't understand the 'tip' thing at all. Is the waiter not getting paid at all to do the job? I don't get a 'tip' for cooking the family a meal. It's my job.

Its pretty much common knowledge that waitress make about $1-4 an hour from their employers...with the exception im sure but most of their income DOES come from tips. I have always operated under the assumption that If you cannot afford to tip at least %15 for a meal then there is probably a McD's across the street.

It isn't/wasn't common knowledge to me, maybe more common knowledge for people in that "world", I had no idea waiters/waitresses make 1-4 dollars an hour? Doesn't seem legal. is this in certain states, certain types of restaurants.........it just seems hard for me to believe.

Yeah I guess it may not be common knowledge to everyone but usually that is how it works. But it is most certainly common knowledge to tip for good service.

Besides if you eat at the same place frequently, the servers will remember you and go that extra mile to make your experience all that much better. I get my food the way I want it, fast and curteous service and she gets a good tip....seems fair to me.

Your welcome Captain Sarcastic.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I have a good strategy, but it only works if it's a place you don't go to much.
    Pay with credit, but write CASH :) on the tip line.
    Then, leave nothing.

That way the waiter only thinks someone snatched the tip off the table, but you get off, without paying a tip!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    $138.00? no tip? oh i get it,she had ten kids.

This actually makes sense to me now. We have no background of this story, only a receipt. Maybe she was taking all 10, or maybe 6 kids out to eat for one of there birthdays or other occasion, and she mentions being a single mom because the waiter/waitress would be able to clearly see she was "alone" besides having the children with her. Should she not be able to take her kids out and have a decent meal because she has to worry about a tip amount or if she could afford one. Should she not spend every last penny she had to spare on that meal, and have her kids and her have a memorable time.

I'll be the first to admit, sometimes we are way to quick to judge, and this girl I quoted, made me think of it a different way, and at the same time, I can not say for sure that's what happened either.

Just a different way to possibly conceive how the situation really was

Yeah, but then take them for Happy Meals at McDonalds, or spend 140 dollars on groceries and make a bomb dinner.

I was a waitress...I usually tip 20-25%.
  • JosephVitte
    Options

Your welcome Captain Sarcastic.

Geez........lol, I can't win with you guys. I wasn't being sarcastic at all, just responding and concurring to what you wrote in response to me..."gets good tip". and I was thanking you for the info, period. Maybe my LACK of a (.) and use of a (,) comma made you think I was being sarcastic. Anyway. I'm done. But thank you as well, because I do have some sarcasm at times, so maybe that helped with the confusion, lol, I'm leaving now.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    The patron's action was clearly wrong, but it was also wrong of the waiter to post the receipt. It's one of those situations where you turn the other cheek and let God deal with the offender.
  • JosephVitte
    Options
    $138.00? no tip? oh i get it,she had ten kids.

This actually makes sense to me now. We have no background of this story, only a receipt. Maybe she was taking all 10, or maybe 6 kids out to eat for one of there birthdays or other occasion, and she mentions being a single mom because the waiter/waitress would be able to clearly see she was "alone" besides having the children with her. Should she not be able to take her kids out and have a decent meal because she has to worry about a tip amount or if she could afford one. Should she not spend every last penny she had to spare on that meal, and have her kids and her have a memorable time.

I'll be the first to admit, sometimes we are way to quick to judge, and this girl I quoted, made me think of it a different way, and at the same time, I can not say for sure that's what happened either.

Just a different way to possibly conceive how the situation really was

Yeah, but then take them for Happy Meals at McDonalds, or spend 140 dollars on groceries and make a bomb dinner.

I was a waitress...I usually tip 20-25%.

I've always heard that from waiters/waitresses, that they tip others in there field well, makes sense, you understand each other. I tip over 100% of a meal if I'm extremely happy with the service. I usually tip 15-20% even if it's bad service. I tip 25 cents when it's horrible service, and that's just the way it's gonna stay, for me at least.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

Perhaps the single mom was also clueless about how wait persons are compensated. I might be, too, if I hadn't worked as a waitress. As the saying goes, experience is the best teacher.
  • Sbaby74
    Options
    If someone writes on the tip line that they are a single mom sorry then they knew they needed to tip. My first guess is this was probably not a single mom at all or at least not a broke one but some jerk just being rude to both the server and strugling single parents because they think they are better than both. A good single mom whose strugling knows better than to spend that much on a single meal even if it was for a birthday or special occation unless she has saved enough to afford it including tip. I'm not saying a single mother couldn't have done it because there are some that think everyone owes them something and should feel sorry for them but you get people like that in every walk of life not just single moms. If it was a single broke mom who did this tjen she should've had the sugar daddy that paid for the meal give her enough for the tip too cause you know if she couldn't afford to leave at the very least a few dollars then she couldn't afford a $138 dollar meal
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    As a server I would be totally ticked off! My theory is, if you cannot afford to tip your server and no matter how bad the service is, prepare for good service and prepare to tip. Don't go out to eat at a dinning restaurant if you can't afford to tip but 138.00 for food and no tip???

You are not struggling if you can spend what I spend on groceries for 1 week at dinner for 1 night. Sorry!! That ***** should be slapped!!! I also can't stand it when younger kids come in to eat and don't tip, if your mommy dropped you off with your friends, she should give you money to tip or take your butts to McDonalds! Sorry had my share of no tippers.
  • TheFitHooker
    Options

We get paid $2.13 an hour we rely on our tips. That is how it is here in the US.
  • LilMissImperfect
    Options
    What I think is fishy is the "single mom sorry" part is in different handwriting from the note left on the bottom of the receipt.
  • TheFitHooker
    Options

**Steps off soapbox**

From a server standpoint I applaud you! Very well stated! I don't know about other servers but where I work, we also have a lot more to do then just serve tables, we do a lot more work then anyone else does there and we are the lowest paid. The hosts make $4.00 an hour and gets 1.5% of our tips and the bartender makes $6.50 an hour and gets .5% of our tips. There been times when I had to tip out $20.00 and that sucks on my end, I go home with $20.00 less then what I really made. Though I only claim what I bring home. Yes if we do not make at least min wages in tips we get it from the store, but I'd much rather make more then min wage in tips and not often does that happen.
  • carrotstick2012
    Options

We get paid $2.13 an hour we rely on our tips. That is how it is here in the US.

It's clearly a cultural thing and I'll certainly consider myself informed of it if I ever visit the US. Given the cost of eating out, a 20% tip seems very high to me but I've been told that it's very cheap to eat out in the US so that might make a difference to how much tip can be afforded.
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I could not justify spending over a hundred dollars--and leaving the wait service nothing but an apology and a lame excuse
    it was insulting and sadistic--kind of like rubbing your nose in it.

Waitress should have taken that check---and said there's been an error--and then added a service fee---- with her own note

Please include this fee--Sorry!:laugh:

Signed
    Underpaid & Overworked waitress from servicing deadbeats like you with a smile:grumble:
  • TheFitHooker
    Options

It's clearly a cultural thing and I'll certainly consider myself informed of it if I ever visit the US. Given the cost of eating out, a 20% tip seems very high to me but I've been told that it's very cheap to eat out in the US so that might make a difference to how much tip can be afforded.

A rule of thumb I know I go by when I eat out as a server, I never not tip even if it's bad service. I may not always tip 20% but I always tip. I only do 20% for outstanding service anything below outstanding gets 5% - 15% I rate on if my cup is filled, how often you check on me, napkins at the table, things I know I do for my customers. I have been places where the server only has 2 tables and can't keep up and other places where servers have 5-10 tables and more on top of things then the one with 2 tables. I usually have between 4 and 8 tables and find the busier I am the better I work.

I was honestly shocked to find out how many people just in my family who didn't know how much servers make. My own mother didn't know till I told her. Now they all, always tip.
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options

Your right and nowadays if your tips don't add up to minimum wage the employers have to pay you more to balance out your pay. I worked in a place that was always slow, (I quit btw) and would write you up if you didn't make enough. If service is slow then that is wrong. But Still everything comes from tips.

My niece worked as a waitress, and at a few places she lost money, because she has to pay a certain amount to the servers, no matter how much she is tipped. She is also a single mom. My son also buses tables. The waiters pay him a percentage of money from their tips.

It is very rude to tip less than 10% You are stealing from the waiter that served you if you do. If you can't afford to tip, go to fast food, or eat at home.

I had to quit one job because we were busy and still people would leave with nothing on the table. I wasn't making enough and was getting wrote up. i can't force ppl to leave money but it still is rude to not tip. I know how hard it can be to bust your *kitten* waiting on people. I am glad i was a waitress, now i know to tip. My friend refuses to tip and i keep telling her to do so because that is how they make money. Everytime we split the bill she leaves a dollar for OUTSTANDING service and I throw a five on the table on top of it. THey deserve it
This discussion has been closed.