Has anyone ever eloped?

Options
2»

Replies

• MissMertz
    Options
    My ex and I (19 years old..) tried, but we let the parents know and they weren't having that LOL They wanted a ceremony of some sorts.. so we had a little ceremony with close family, which I'm glad that I did.. but it was still poorly planned and just quickly thrown together. I say whatever works for you, do it.. but I do say make sure it's what you want. I really regretted not having a wedding..
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My brother eloped with his now ex-wife. He told the family that he was going to Reno with his buddies, but he took his girl and got married. Thing is, we ALL new he was lying about why he was going, and just sighed as he left because we knew there was nothing we could do.

My boyfriend (very soon to be fiancee officially... We have a ring, but he insists on giving me the grand proposal he's been wanting to give me for a year) and I thought about eloping for a short time because his family took a while to warm up to me, and things still seem a bit rocky at times. But we thought about it, and decided to have a ceremony because I'm my parents' only girl, and he's the first of his siblings to get married. Both families would be really upset if we didn't include them.

...Now if only I could convince him to have a small wedding. I want no more than 25 guests, but his list is around 125.
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    edit: I need to learn the difference between edit and quote.
  • nklunk
    nklunk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I did. We had moved out of state and I knew my family wont come or help with the expense. We both took off early on Friday went to the jp got married then went to outback to eat then to Walmart for groceries then home. We saved so much money and still talk bout how much we saved when we go to other weddings. My family could have carried less if they were there but my hubby's was kinda sad but understood. Good luck.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    If I had a son or daughter who felt they had to do that I'd be absolutely gutted!

If you and your parents are all happy about it then why make them miss out on it? Seems a bit thoughtless and selfish to me...
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    My husband and I eloped in Vegas this past April. We've been together for awhile and have a very small family and even fewer friends, so who would we even invite to the wedding? We also didn't want to spend a ton of money on dumb stuff and I (at 285lbs) didn't even want to think about how I'd look in a dress. We spent a ton of money on fancy restaurants and won most of it back at blackjack.
  • AnnaMC1977
    Options
    If I had a son or daughter who felt they had to do that I'd be absolutely gutted!

If you and your parents are all happy about it then why make them miss out on it? Seems a bit thoughtless and selfish to me...

My family is small...just me and my parents. His family is huge..and I am positive I would not be able to afford a big wedding that would accomodate so many people (100+). I would rather, get married by the JP, THEN have a big ceremony at one of their houses (very big, can accomodate lots of people), and have everyone.

Part of me wants that "walk down the aisle" moment, but the little finance angel on my shoulder says "you're in debt" "you dont' have enough $" "you'll never have enough $" "you'll never earn enough $" "getting married shouldn't bust the bank" ect...I'd rather not have to worry about paying more bills and simply be married and then have the families togther for a big celebration.
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally eloped, but my "sister in law" (boyfriend's sister...But I call her my sister we are close) eloped. She had a very bad history with her step dad, but she was underage so couldn't move out. So she got emancipated and got married when she was 16. Her mom understood the situation and signed to ok it (long, drawn out story about how her mom doesn't have a choice but to stay with the step dad, I won't get into it). She is now 20 and they have been happily married for 4 years with their first baby on the way. Her family was shocked at first but eventually got over it and welcomed her husband into the family.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

My family is small...just me and my parents. His family is huge..and I am positive I would not be able to afford a big wedding that would accomodate so many people (100+). I would rather, get married by the JP, THEN have a big ceremony at one of their houses (very big, can accomodate lots of people), and have everyone.

Part of me wants that "walk down the aisle" moment, but the little finance angel on my shoulder says "you're in debt" "you dont' have enough $" "you'll never have enough $" "you'll never earn enough $" "getting married shouldn't bust the bank" ect...I'd rather not have to worry about paying more bills and simply be married and then have the families togther for a big celebration.

The JP then big party route can be wonderful too! One of my best friend's did this because she and her fiance were dealing with a mountain of medical bills, and they couldn't afford a wedding. They hired a DJ for 4 hours (I believe it cost them about $300) and had the reception out at a friend's farm potluck style with everyone bringing their own chairs, tables, and a few food dishes to share. She ended up having about 150 people show up, and they had a blast. It was a great time!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone in my family has been legally married. So City Hall, Vegas or a giant Tuscan wedding, it don't matter.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options

I don't get where exactly the entitlement to have your child's wedding as YOU want it comes in. If I'm the one getting married, I am the one who is planning on paying and making the decisions for it, as it is MY marriage. I think if your child decides to get married and invites you, you should be appreciative of the invitation - rather than just expect it... Didn't you get to do what you want for your wedding? If not, don't you wish that you did?

For the record, if I get married it will be somewhere on the beach with anywhere from 2-20 people :-D Someone's feelings inevitably will get hurt - that won't be a function of my selfishness because this is how I'VE chosen to start MY marriage, but a result of other people's expectations.

I wouldn't have kids according to someone else's schedule, so why would I allow how I get married to be dictated by others?
  • Allison22451
    Allison22451 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I eloped in Vegas.
    It was fun & very exciting.
    the limo, the marriage certificate, the chapel, the minister, the pianist, the unity candles, the ceremony, the photos and the witness all for $186.00. =)
    our parents were surprised and a little disappointed not sharing in the main event... but pleased with the union and celebrated with us later.
    we had a total of 3 post-elopement parties hosted by family and friends. we all had a blast.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I eloped in Vegas.
    It was fun & very exciting.
    the limo, the marriage certificate, the chapel, the minister, the pianist, the unity candles, the ceremony, the photos and the witness all for $186.00. =)
    our parents were surprised and a little disappointed not sharing in the main event... but pleased with the union and celebrated with us later.
    we had a total of 3 post-elopement parties hosted by family and friends. we all had a blast.
    I would do that in a second! I want Elvis to marry us; but first I need to find a husband! lol
  • crabbyab90
    crabbyab90 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    We did! We didn't even tell our parents until after :) we just didn't want to wait for a big wedding and such so we eloped mothers day weekend 2010. It costed us $200 for the JP,the license, and dinner afterwards :) we are planning a vow renewal ceremony that will have a reception but we don't really care.
  • Adina81
    Adina81 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    To this day we wish we did.

There was soooo much drama on one side of the family that the planning and the wedding DAY was stressful as hell.
    If we could go back we would take off to Belize and get married there...Come back and have huge celebration with everyone.

remember its YOUR DAY!!
    However YOU want to do it is YOUR decision.

If we weren't so hooked up on how everyone would feel we would have had a beautiful beautiful INTIMATE ceremony on a beach in heaven....and came back to hell.
  • swarovski75
    swarovski75 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I sort of did...we had our entire wedding planned, venue booked, invitations printed, etc. etc. but then we went to a string of big, formal weddings, and decided it just wasn't our thing. And to be honest, my MIL was being a distruptive b*tch and I was sick of dealing with it. So we decided on a Monday to get married that Friday, but since my husband is an only child, he felt like he had to tell his Dad...who was disappointed...so we ended up flying in all of our parents, inviting a few local friends, getting married at a cute little chapel and having a nice dinner in a pretty swank restaurant (financed by my sweet Dad) and inviting all 10 guests up to the presidential suite for drinks, etc. after. It was pretty awesome - no regrets - although it would have been nice to have had my brother and sisters there. But I think it was totally, totally worth it - absolutely zero stress.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    We didn't elope, but we had a very small ceremony at a little chapel. There were 5 guests, my parents and brother, and his dad and sister( his mom passed away). After we went out for Mexican all together, and once we got back home - the ceremony site was about an hour and a half away- we went to out fav restaurant, the melting pot. It was amazing and I don't regret it. I had no desire to plan a big wedding. It kinda makes my eye twitch thinking about planning one lol.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

I don't get where exactly the entitlement to have your child's wedding as YOU want it comes in. If I'm the one getting married, I am the one who is planning on paying and making the decisions for it, as it is MY marriage. I think if your child decides to get married and invites you, you should be appreciative of the invitation - rather than just expect it... Didn't you get to do what you want for your wedding? If not, don't you wish that you did?

For the record, if I get married it will be somewhere on the beach with anywhere from 2-20 people :-D Someone's feelings inevitably will get hurt - that won't be a function of my selfishness because this is how I'VE chosen to start MY marriage, but a result of other people's expectations.

I wouldn't have kids according to someone else's schedule, so why would I allow how I get married to be dictated by others?

I think you missed the point there...

I didn't say it would need to be on my schedule. It would upset me if my kids decided that what THEY wanted was for me not to be there.