Is it possible to lose 12 pounds in a month ?

Options

Replies

• rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options

Ok... So i'll be honest, I'll never give up processed carbs if it mean not eating bread or pasta, even the healthier versions. Those food were eaten by healthy persons for centuries and they will be part of my diet until the end of my life, so I prefer to learn how to eat them in moderation.

So you want to lose a significant amount of weight in 1 month, but you're not willing to give up processed food to do it?
    I guess you either don't really want to lose the weight as much as you say you do, or you plan on stepping up your exercize by an incredible amount?

You don't have to give up processed food to lose weight. Calories In < Calories Out. I still enjoy several processed things and so do many of my MFP's, its really just moderation. There are some things (highly processed foods mostly) that I currently am not able to practice moderation if I am given the choice to eat them but I eventually plan on reintroducing them into my diet.
  • FITNLUVINIT
    FITNLUVINIT Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What I read here in MFP is that people having more then 75 pounds to lose (which is still my case, as you can see in my ticker) could lose at a pace of 2 pounds a week safely. I normally try to lose 1 1/2 pounds a week, sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more. I thought that if I increase this goal for a month only, I'll still be in a "safe" pace of weight loss because I normally go a little slower then needed.

I don't want to lose 12 pounds each month, it's like a one time goal to boost my confidence before Christmas and all the temptations coming with that.

Yes you can lose 12 lbs. and safely, I never starved myself and you can look at my diary just this last month I have lost 11 lbs. with a lot of exercising at the gym 5 days a week. I don't plan on doing that next month but I will do it it gradually.
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options

Ok... So i'll be honest, I'll never give up processed carbs if it mean not eating bread or pasta, even the healthier versions. Those food were eaten by healthy persons for centuries and they will be part of my diet until the end of my life, so I prefer to learn how to eat them in moderation.

So you want to lose a significant amount of weight in 1 month, but you're not willing to give up processed food to do it?
    I guess you either don't really want to lose the weight as much as you say you do, or you plan on stepping up your exercize by an incredible amount?

As long as we are talking about "processed food" that are made from wholesome ingredients, like good bread made with sprouted grain and whole wheat organic pasta, no, I won't.

In your definition of processed food, even a block of organic tofu is processed food. So no, I won't give up eating tofu neither.
  • DaivaSimone
    Options
    Je pense c'est possible.

That would be approximately 3 lbs per week BUT if you are significantly overweight, advanced weight loss is possible and probably not too dangerous. When I first started, I would lose in the neighborhood of 15 lbs per month and it was not bad. 8 lbs would be a better goal though... That is a 2 lb per week loss. Also, as some have said, set a realistice diet and exercise goal and meet that daily. If you do that, positive results will occur. Don't forget the weight lifting. The real goal here is to be healthy and get your size where you want it... and have the agility and strength to do the things you want to do. I currently weigh 232.4 and wear the same size clothes I did when I was younger and was 170 lbs. and am down 2 pant sizes from when I was last 199. They don't fit quite the same but they are the same size none-the-less. Weight is far less important than the fat percentage you are at present. Ultimately, that should be the goal.

Pouvez vous avoir le grand succès sur votre voyage.

Thank you for that little bit of french ! This is so cute !

I hear your advice, I understand that the number on the scale is not what matters the most.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Why does she need to give up processed foods?
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Yes but it's not healthy, It actually floods the Gaul bladder with toxins when a person loses weight too quickly, Slow and Steady wins the race!

It's gallbladder and this has no scientific basis!

I wouldn't call it toxins but, rapid weight loss (crash dieting) is one of the causes of gallstones. Your body will secrete extra cholesterol into the bile which causes the gallbladder not to be able to empty properly, thus forming gallstones.

This makes sense I had my gall bladder removed at age 21 and even though I was not overweight I was constantly crash dieting. When I look back at that time I would love to look like that again. I could never figure out why I had gall stones and now you have just answered the question with the above post.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    sure it can be done fighters do it all the time to make weight

get one of the silver sweat suits cut out all but the bear min carbs restrict you fluid intake, and workout and cardio up to 8 hours a day.

just give you heads up this is the beginning on the road to hell, the mood swings suck and once you make weight you'll eat a whole box of what ever you've been craving and add up to 10 pounds in a day

good luck

Good advice, because she is definitely at the fitness level of a professional fighter and also doesn't have anything better to do than 8 hours of cardio/workouts per day...

I think she's looking for reasonable, sustainable advice. Use your head.

use my head wow wish I would have thought before I wrote something, here I thought she was at the fitness level of pro- athlete my bad

I'll just go back to picking up weights and putting them down, you go ahead and give out your full 24 years of wisdom
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options

well technically, she doesn't, but she wants to lose a signifant amount but refuses to make healthier choices... so.... unless she is planning on burning off the extra calories, something has to give.
    Processed foods have higher calories than unprocessed, whole foods, fruits and veggies. I suppose she could eat a small french fries and one serving of hamburger helper per day and still lose though. sounds silly to me.
  • DaivaSimone
    Options

well technically, she doesn't, but she wants to lose a signifant amount but refuses to make healthier choices... so.... unless she is planning on burning off the extra calories, something has to give.
    Processed foods have higher calories than unprocessed, whole foods, fruits and veggies. I suppose she could eat a small french fries and one serving of hamburger helper per day and still lose though. sounds silly to me.

Are you reading what I am writing or not ?! I was not talking about eating french fries or hamburger helper, I was talking about eating sprouted grain bread, organic whole wheat pasta and brown rice, which were identified as processed carbs earlier in this thread.

I was pointing out that I will never give up this kind of "processed" food. The kind that I found healthy and can be eaten reasonably in a balanced diet.

I don't want to eat Twinkies, frozen burritos, McDonald's or Starbuck's latte (I never eat those food anyway), I want to eat toast made with my own homemade whole wheat bread. You understand the difference !?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    How about instead of focusing on a specific pound loss goal you focus on an eating/exercise goal to reach by November 30th?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This

If you realistically want to be thinner and healthier, you need to change your life, not go on a crash diet where you gain back all the weight you worked hard (and unhealthily) to lose.

You said this is hard for you. Work at hitting that goal of 1700/day every day and exercising - even walking - 20 minutes a day.

Do that for a month and that is a huge gain. Then do it for December.
  • strenght900
    Options
    watch the biggest loser and you will see hoe people loose 12 lbs in a week.. i think it is definitely possible
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Yes but it's not healthy, It actually floods the Gaul bladder with toxins when a person loses weight too quickly, Slow and Steady wins the race!

I like this. For me anyway.
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have lost 12 pounds and I've been here for just about a month.

First thing is to drink lots of water, then drink more. Don't use your calories on drinks, it's a waste.

*For me* sticking to 1200 calories works best. This is easy to do if you choose your foods carefully.

I also try really hard to keep my sodium intake low to prevent water retention.

I walk for an hour about 4 times a week for exercise.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    How about instead of focusing on a specific pound loss goal you focus on an eating/exercise goal to reach by November 30th?

Great advice from someone who is obviously doing something right.

Exactly~!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I am not saying it is necessarily a good idea from a health perspective, but just because something is processed does not necessarily make it 'bad'. It also will not stop you losing weight as long as you hit your calorie and macro targets.

Edited to insert missing word.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options

Are you reading what I am writing or not ?! I was not talking about eating french fries or hamburger helper, I was talking about eating sprouted grain bread, organic whole wheat pasta and brown rice, which were identified as processed carbs earlier in this thread.

I was pointing out that I will never give up this kind of "processed" food. The kind that I found healthy and can be eaten reasonably in a balanced diet.

I don't want to eat Twinkies, frozen burritos, McDonald's or Starbuck's latte (I never eat those food anyway), I want to eat toast made with my own homemade whole wheat bread. You understand the difference !?

wow, way to be totally snotty.
    I could have sworn it was your diary I saw with over 700 calories for hamburger helper last week, but I guess I was wrong.

oh wait. no i wasn't.
  • DaivaSimone
    Options

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This

If you realistically want to be thinner and healthier, you need to change your life, not go on a crash diet where you gain back all the weight you worked hard (and unhealthily) to lose.

You said this is hard for you. Work at hitting that goal of 1700/day every day and exercising - even walking - 20 minutes a day.

Do that for a month and that is a huge gain. Then do it for December.

What I understand from that is that I probably take the whole thing I the wrong way. I am sad because October was hard on me (you know, autumn here in Quebec could be really depressing, and I am not the only one person to have low energy month), and I try to have a better month. But instead of focusing on the scale number to prove to myself that my month will be better, I should stick to my good habits (eating good, clean food, exercise 4 to 5 times a week). If I do this, my November will obviously "redeem" my October, and the scale will follow.

I really want to hit my weight goal, but you are all right about doing the good things first.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    If you can low carbs for the month, you will lose that much, but a lot of it will be water weight. Cut out the processed carbs you eat and you should lose most of that. No guarantee it will stay off if you add them back in, tho. If you want something more permanent, not a great idea to lose that fast.

Could you please define processed carbs ?

I try to eat mostly sprouted grains bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, quinoa, legumes and rice noodles (those are probably my baddest carbs).

I sometimes eat protein bars, crackers (mostly Mary's crackers, but sometimes things like Pretzel Crisps) and potato chips as a treat, and those will obviously be cut for this month. Those are the one you call processed carbs ?

Sorry, I hate that MFP doesn't tell you when someone responds to you, but you have answered this later. All that bread and stuff you want to eat won't let you lose this fast, sorry. Carbs, all carbs, make you retain a little water. Almost all processed foods, including "healthy" versions, contain sodium that makes you retain more water. If you really restrict your carbs, you will lose the water weight and can lose 12 lbs. quickly.

That said, you can lose weight on what you want to eat, but probably not 12 lbs. in a month. Need to figure your TDEE and eat at least 20% under it and workout 4-6 days per week, cardio and weight training, plus just move more during the day every day. I lost almost a pound a week for 5 months just eating 500 calories under TDEE, and I'm 47 and only had that much to lose.
  • DaivaSimone
    Options

wow, way to be totally snotty.
    I could have sworn it was your diary I saw with over 700 calories for hamburger helper last week, but I guess I was wrong.

oh wait. no i wasn't.

If you read correctly, it was _homemade_ hamburger helper, which I made with whole wheat no-yolk egg noodles, extra-lean grounded beef, homemade chicken broth, low fat cheddar and some spice (actually, you can see the recipe I used here, but I tweaked it a little to use cleaner ingredients) . It was about 550 cals a portion but I eat a little more because, I was confessing to my MFP friends that night, I was eating emotionally because I had a hard day, namely, a job interview where I sucked hard, and a bad news from a colleague at my current work.

That was part of what I was trying to say when I told people that they can look to my diary but it was not accurate to my actual diet because I had a pretty messy week.

I am not snotty, I really feel that you're just not understanding that we were talking about not giving up the good processed food. I never talked about not give up eating crap.

Anyway. Your last answer were really rude. Oh yeah, I was over on Thursday night. Big deal. You're never over ? Well, this is impressive. Have a nice day anyway.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong: I know that this is possible, but I would like to know the best way to achieve it without feeling deprived or starving.

October was a lazy month for me, and I sucked hard at losing weight. If I want to reach my goal of being under 245 pounds for November 31st, I really need to kick butt (mine, at first) in November.

I am not ready to eat less then 1700 cals a day (for me, it's a minimum to be able to eat a variety of food, and if I'm eating less then 1500-1600, I feel seriously dizzy), but I am ready to work out hard, and harder if needed.

Any tips or advice to help me in this journey ?

(You can check my diary, but I was sick since friday so I hadn't log anything in the last two days. Previously, it's almost accurate, I tried to log everyday.).

go to India for 2 weeks, and eat where the locals eat. * guaranteed * to make you drop at LEAST 12lbs in a week

i am from india..and no...you cant drop 12lbs eating what we eat...

and @DaivaSimone..its all bout burning calories..eat well...get ready to workout out 3-4 hours a day..and you can lose that much pounds..!!

No, but western people are NOT the same as Indians when it comes to 'local' food. I am of Indian origin and at my last visit to India I lost around 10lbs in a week as the local food simply made me very very ill...and I'm vegetarian, so it wasn't food poisoning etc...