I don't watch or own a TV...am I the only one????

Options

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    We have a TV in each room of my house(One for me, One for my Mom and One for my Dad), we also subscribe to netflix.

I don't watch that much, now that i have Netflix.. but I will watch a program or two that I like when it's on.

I also work full time, and go to school two nights out of the week.. so most of the time it's come home and go straight to bed!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have one and I watch it more than I should, though I am working on watching less.

I would get rid of it, but I have a bit of an addiction. :-) The funny thing is, the main reason I keep a TV and cable is so I can watch British sitcoms on Saturday night. The local PBS station doesn't have them, so I need cable to get GPB, which does.
  • carlydevi
    carlydevi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I own a TV, but it's been broken since 2010. So I don't really own one and I don't miss it either. :P
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Just curious. I obviously have a computer, but besides coming here (usually on slow night shifts) checking email or doing research, rarely have it turned on. There is so much to do that I couldn't imagine finding an hour a day, much less several to sit in front of a screen watching movies/tv shows etc...

It's all I can do to fit in an hour workout a day! I have a job, kids, a house that always needs tidying/renovating, and a lot of hobbies! I have owned a TV in the past, and watched it more when I was a kid..but since I became an adult with college, work and then a mom and wife..then a single mom...I just don't have time! I can't remember the last time i watched a movie (tried to watch one with the boyfriend a few mo. back, but fell asleep half way through). To be fair, it was late and my sleep schedule was mixed up from nights shifts...but you get the idea. It was NOT engaging enough to keep me awake. Getting ZZZ's was a much more urgent priority.

Please know that I am NOT judging people who watch or enjoy TV, just can't wrap my brain around how people have time to do so. Do they have servants that cook/clean/child watch for them? Do they just let their house get messy? Do they not have jobs/responsibilities? Maybee they're just better at managing their time? (doubt that, since I'm a nurse and am VERY efficient at multi tasking I feel..but who knows?). I read somewhere that the average american watches 7 hours a day!! HOW?

I hope I am not alone in this. Sometiems I feel like I am in the VAST minority here.

Do you watch Netflicks or play computer games?
  • aphid
    aphid Posts: 47
    Options
    i don't have a tv, and when i lived with my parents they had a tv but i didn't watch it much... i hardly have time for things like that, and when i do have spare time at home i prefer to just read a book, it's much comfier.
  • lynn_1972
    lynn_1972 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    well I am a mother of 2 {19 yr old and 11yr old},I'm a stay at home mom,I cook,bake,clean,laundry,etc....BUT I have 3 TV's in my house,Netflix,and PVR....I tape most of my shows off at night to many on the same time I love and I watch them the next day or on weekends....my shows are ME time when kids are heading off to bed,my hubby works out of town 5 days a week and without TV at night I would crack up.I also live in a town with no family at all and no real friends...I do have a couple of people I talk to alot on phone or visit when they arent busy with their husbands and kids....there are people who spend 7 days a week hours and hours at a time in a gym now that I don't understand if you have a family at home....I just use my treadmill at home when I feel like using it,but each to their own,no one is doing anything wrong weather they watch Tv or not ....most days I don't turn mine on till 8:30pm,but once a week I do watch it in the morning{taped off shows}

good luck to us all in our journey!!!
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a tv until I moved in with my boyfriend, who uses it for playing xbox. if I do want to watch any shows or films I watch them on my macbook (through bbc iplayer, 4od, or good old illegal download websites).

Also, I don't get people who can't 'find the time' for things... if you have time to post and browse on mfp forums, you have time ;)
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    We have tv's in the house. My husband is a news junkie. No cable, netflix or anything like that. I watch PBS sometimes, but no regular tv at all. I do have a big collection of DVD's though. I love movies. My main objection is there is not much worth watching, JMHO.
    I have absoultely no problem with other people watching though. To each his own. None of my business what others do or don't do.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I love tv. I watch it a lot, but mostly Netflix. I can't stand regular tv. But, not having a tv seems elitist these days. You didn't come off that way, but people after you responding do.

I don't understand what people have to do all the time. I used to date a woman that hardly watched tv, and the difference between her and I was she puttered around the house all the time doing stupid *kitten* that didn't need to be done. I am a very direct person, I work fast. When I have a task I do it and I'm finished. I am very organized, neat, clean, and efficient with my life. I don't screw around and I despise people that piddle around (I don't despise them, I just don't want to be around it because it drives me insane). Do what you have to do and be done with it.

As an example, I have a laundry day. I do it on that day, and then the rest of the week is no laundry. I do my dishes at night after dinner. When I'm done, that's it.

I enjoy relaxing. Tv unwinds me. And I love my movies and Netflix. It's really nice. I could live without it, but why? I enjoy it.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    We have a T.V. in ea. BR, plus three more. Most of them are used for video games or watching DVDs. However, I do watch TV often. How? Multitasking. That said, if suddenly all TVs just didn't work anymore, I don't think I'd miss it. I have so many hobbies, plus the things that need to be done, that it would not matter.

Though you're not alone, I am always surprised by folks who just do not watch TV. :noway:
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't watch much anymore. It's usually in the background though. I tend to watch some on Saturday Night with the boyfriend. Although I do watch movies often. Usually As I get into bed I put a film or a TV series episode on before I sleep. But saying this I go to sleep about 1am -ish.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    You're a very active individual, good for you. Not everyone really wants to be that active. It doesn't mean that they're lazy people who shirk their responsibilities. You sound very condescending.
  • KathleenC12
    KathleenC12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    No TV for 26 years, and don't want one. Avid reader and watch dvds or download movies on PC. When I had a TV I'd just watch whatever was on (and claim I didn't!) It's just like food, if someone 'serves' it, you'll take it in.

We raised 2 boys without it and now (in their mid-20s) they say they don;t want one either. We didn't try to limit what they watched at friends'.
  • kjjm08
    kjjm08 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    So great to raise children without TV! Good choice!!! You are not alone : )

Why is it so great? Have you ever seen Sky Arts? A lot of the Discovery Channels?

Watching films, and comedy, and dram and documentaries just helps increase their knowledge and their imaginations. In my opinion.

I don't understand this narrow minded obsession with tv being bad for children. I think any opportunity for kids to have their horizons broadened is a good opportunity.

If they don't sit in front of cartoons all day, I don't see the problem.

And just to be clear, if you watch tv or films or whatever on the internet, you lose the right to smugly tell people 'oh I don't own a telly' as you're still watching it, you're just in a different chair!

Well said! You said you are not judging OP but it sure sounds that way. You are basically saying the only ones who have time for t.v must be those who have a messy house, people who have no jobs or responsibilities etc. And just because you are a nurse, you are better at multitasking then anyone else? I'm sure you didn't mean to judge those who do watch, right?
  • GZinSea
    GZinSea Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You are one of those people, and i mean this in the best way, who is getting more out of life than others who dont realize what they are missing.

does that make sense?

More power to you, you sound like a cool person and a great mom. very inspirational!
  • AnjaZ89
    AnjaZ89 Posts: 235
    Options
    I never had a tv as a kid or teen (of course I had access though).
    Now I dont own a tv and dont really miss it, I guess thats okay :)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Just curious. I obviously have a computer, but besides coming here (usually on slow night shifts) checking email or doing research, rarely have it turned on. There is so much to do that I couldn't imagine finding an hour a day, much less several to sit in front of a screen watching movies/tv shows etc...

It's all I can do to fit in an hour workout a day! I have a job, kids, a house that always needs tidying/renovating, and a lot of hobbies! I have owned a TV in the past, and watched it more when I was a kid..but since I became an adult with college, work and then a mom and wife..then a single mom...I just don't have time! I can't remember the last time i watched a movie (tried to watch one with the boyfriend a few mo. back, but fell asleep half way through). To be fair, it was late and my sleep schedule was mixed up from nights shifts...but you get the idea. It was NOT engaging enough to keep me awake. Getting ZZZ's was a much more urgent priority.

Please know that I am NOT judging people who watch or enjoy TV, just can't wrap my brain around how people have time to do so. Do they have servants that cook/clean/child watch for them? Do they just let their house get messy? Do they not have jobs/responsibilities? Maybee they're just better at managing their time? (doubt that, since I'm a nurse and am VERY efficient at multi tasking I feel..but who knows?). I read somewhere that the average american watches 7 hours a day!! HOW?

I hope I am not alone in this. Sometiems I feel like I am in the VAST minority here.

Do you watch Netflicks or play computer games?

No netflix, no computer games. I go to the gym daily? I read when I can, rock climb and salsa dance...lol. So I guess I could be watching TV instead of doing those things.

Wow. What a crock. I'm pretty active. I don't watch instead of doing things, I watch during downtime. I hate this *kitten*, it's so stupid. OK, you win, you're better than everyone else because you read and don't watch tv. Watch those nose bleeds at those higher elevations.

Maybe we should compare income? Is that an indicator of education, success, and intelligence? Just sayin'. Sheesh. Give me a break.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Idk. I'm no snob (love me some reality tv), and there are some amazing shows being made these days too, but the possible effects on brain activity worry me. I know I feel worse when I binge, even on something really good. But, not everyone binges, so. Still don't know!