Starbucks

Options
daniellealys
daniellealys Posts: 301 Member
Lately I have become obsessed with flavored coffees! But, just as I had mastered the guilt free version of the pumpkin spiced latte, I see the sign this morning for their new winter flavors! They are Caramel Brulee Latte, Peppermint Mocha, Gingerbread Latte, Eggnog Latte, Peppermint White Hot Chocolate and Peppermint Hot Chocolate. OH MY!
Now, I dont do dairy so I have to substitute Soy and never do the whipped topping. But, even then, the nutrition stats are still outstanding (in a bad way!)

I would love to hear your recommendations!

Here is what I do for the pumpkin spice latte:
1. If I order from Starbucks: Grande Blonde (or your fav blend) with 1 pump pumpkin spice syrup and soy steam. This runs about 100 calories and some sugar but much better stats then the PSL and just as good! plus cheaper :D

2. Making it at home: Brew a pot of your favorite pumpkin blend (I get the pumpkin blend at Aldi. Cheap, good, gluten and lactose free and zero sugar or calories) add some extra pumpkin spice (From Trader joes) to the coffee before brew. Warm some coconut (or other non dairy preferred milk) in the microwave for 1 minute and add to coffee! This is literally 20 calories and sugar free if you use unsweet non dairy milk (which I recommend).

Replies

• Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • geekpryncess
    geekpryncess Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I love flavored coffee too, esp pumpkin spice! However I can't justify the cost (money or calories) of Starbucks any more. I can make my own and know exactly the calorie count, use the type of milk I want, and splenda, etc. I often just have regular coffee with a couple tablespoons of sugarfree flavored creamer, so it's about 60-70 calories max. There are always seasonal flavors in the grocery store, I've been through two bottles of pumpkin spice and one bottle of peppermint mocha so far this fall. The last couple weeks I have taken a break from coffee and using the sugar free apple cider mix that is only 15 calories.

But I know every so often I do like to have an authentic Starbucks, so just order it skinny with no whipped cream, and small.
  • geekpryncess
    geekpryncess Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I will have to get some of the Aldi's pumpkin spice coffee you mentioned, that sounds good! I like coffee but I don't often brew it myself. I usually just get it at work! When i make iced coffee I use instant coffee. But this sounds good, so I will have to try it.

Also, you can just add regular pumpkin pie spice (from the spices section) to any coffee and it tastes good too.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Would love to see the suggestions...I LOVE the winter flavors (especially caramel brulee and eggnog) so I'll be interested to see if there's a calorie saving shortcut. I usually get an iced soy chai which (for a grande) has a whopping 240 calories!
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If you need more of a caffeine boost I usually get an americano with the syrups. That is just espresso with hot water and it's delicious :) I add some cream in there too if you like that and it cuts down on the calories from the milk or you can get it without. I can't go the season without getting a gingerbread americano because it's by far my favorite. I also will do any of the sugar free syrups and it's 25cal without the cream in a venti. Delicious :)
  • TinaLosesIt
    Options
    Just a tip from a former Starbucks employee, espresso actually has LESS caffeine then drip coffee. For the biggest caffeine jolt pick the lightest roast drip coffee. The longer the bean is roasted the more of the oils/caffeine to leech out. A lot of people assume the stronger the taste the strong the caffeine but it's actually the opposite :)

My fav coffee right now is a venti pike roast misto with 1 pump pumpkin spice and 1 pump white mocha!!
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I typically get the flavoured coffee for the Keurig (pumpkin spice, etc) and put a couple of tablespoons of nonfat vanilla creamer in it, I'm sure you can find some non-dairy. It gives me enough sweetness and flavour.

Usually when I go to Starbucks it's a treat so I get whatever drink I want in the smallest size and make room for the calories in my diary. I tried some of the "skinny" options and I just can't over the taste of the syrups they use for them.
    My fav coffee right now is a venti pike roast misto with 1 pump pumpkin spice and 1 pump white mocha!!

That sounds amazing!
  • daniellealys
    Options
    thanks everyone for sharing!!!

I have some options now!
  • daniellealys
    Options
    oh, and I just wanted to add one thing.
    some of you stated that you dont go to starbucks often or its only a treat thing cause of cost. I had never been to starbucks utnil 2012 and i just started really going in the past 2 weeks. I have no idea why but for some reason I want that in the AM. I skip breakfast and it keeps me in check the rest of the day, I have no idea why. but, it is crazy expensive. i have gone like 5 days in a row!
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I try to fit in a hot chocolate from Starbucks on a daily basis. I haven't tried the pumpkin spice. I've been tempted though.
  • jaclyndanette
    Options
    I loooove Starbucks and it is expensive, but if you use a gift card, you can register it and then you start getting rewards. I now have a Gold card (yea, I'm that addicted) and get a free drink after every 12 drinks. I try to limit my Starbucks trips to once a week because even though it's so good, it's also high in calories even when it's "light" or with skim. I might try some of these suggestions though.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been adding hot cocoa mix to my coffee, along with a splash of milk. It's really good and under 100 calories. My favorite ones are Ghiradelli white chocolate peppermint and Private Selection caramel sea salt hot cocoa. So good with mixed with coffee :D
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been adding hot cocoa mix to my coffee, along with a splash of milk. It's really good and under 100 calories. My favorite ones are Ghiradelli white chocolate peppermint and Private Selection caramel sea salt hot cocoa. So good with mixed with coffee :D

Hahahaha...I've been doing this too!
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    i think a tall peppermint mocha skinny is only like 100 calories. and it's delicious.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    i always get so stressed out when ordering from Starbucks. I don't know what half the things are and if I want it soy, skinny, iced, hot, grande, tall, etc... my head starts spinning and I just order whatever the person with me gets! Needless to say I don't go often but it is always very tempting when I go shopping.
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Peppermint Mocha at home: 8 oz strong coffee, 1 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder, 1-2 packets of Stevia or other sweetener, 1/3 cup skim milk or light soy milk, and 1 Tsp peppermint extract. This is also very good iced or blended with ice!

Sub the peppermint extract for vanilla extract and sub the skim milk for coconut milk for a tasty coconut mocha.

Each of these has about 50-60 calories depending on brand/type of milk
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I work at starbucks, and get food/coffee from there all the time. Yay discount and free meals heh

I jsut work it into my cals. Sometimes I go for the skinny no whip, and sometimes I go full fat :D
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i use a tassimo and i get the sugarfree syrups from starbucks (got some sf peppermint right now) and add 1/2 cup almond milk, so creamy and yum, 20 cals
  • mrsmustgetmuscles1
    Options

OMG that Ghiradelli white chocolate peppermint sounds delicious! Might just have to go out and get some to try for myself. When I do indulge in a Starbucks, I always go for the skinny white chocolate mocha with no whip...for a whopping 350 calories it's just not worth it as an all the time thing.