Alcohol Calories don't count?

Options

Replies

• IDCY843
    IDCY843 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hard liquor has 65-100 calories per ounce.

But you don't care after 400 calories.

this lol
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    Wow, that would be as awesome as zero calorie Double Bacon six Cheese Pizza.

________[img]http://sfgf.lilyslim.com/PzhJm6.png width="400" height="80" border="0"[/img]________
  • PHXBlondie
    PHXBlondie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body processes things differently. I think the key is to figure out how your own body works and eat in a way that supports your weight loss. I lost 60 lbs in 2010 and was able to maintain the loss quite well eating whatever I wanted - as long as it didn't include wheat. I could eat butter, cream, cheese, corn, rice, etc. in whatever portions I felt like eating without gaining. But, as soon as I started eating wheat again on a regular basis, my weight just skyrocketed. I've gained almost 20 lbs in the last 2 months (4 weeks of which I was traveling) and the culprit for me is the wheat. I know it and I don't know what I was thinking ... like the results would be different for me this time. lol So, I'm back to the low fat and wheat-free diet until the weight comes off again - when I can add more fats back into my diet.

If your friend can maintain his weight loss drinking alcohol freely (without all the high calorie mixers, I'm sure), then more power to him. The proof is in the ... well, the proof. He's maintained the loss doing what works for him. Here's to hoping we can all figure out what our kryptonite is and stear clear of it. :-)
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    The Drinking Man's Diet.

Plus, if you spend the next day puking your guts out ....

I think your friend may have killed off a few too many brain cells with that hard life.
    He does not count calories

Since he doesn't count then he really doesn't have any data to back up his claim that alcohol calories don't count, does he?
    Maybe he just gets so wasted that he doesn't eat.
  • Colstriper
    Colstriper Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Good enough for me! Let's go to the bar!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It is actually true that alcohol does not lead to weight gain... in alcoholics. So basically, if you are an alcoholic, you can drink all you want and stay skinny. Until your liver fails and you die.
  • Alcohol counts. A lot.

If your friend is drinking as much as you say, suffering from blackouts he most likely has a serious drinking problem, and looking for excuses the justify that it is OK for him to drink because he read online that alcohol calories don't count, and we all know that everything we read online is true (LOL) The fact is he drinks too much to the point that he is staying thin from the alcohol. I have a sister who is an alcoholic and is rail thin as a result.

The occasional glass of wine, or even a drink drink will not do you great harm, but drinking as much as your friend is will work against your dieting.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I think that only works if you dance all night long too. LOL
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Drink as much as you want.
    Step 2: Eat as much as you want.
    Step 3: Throw up everything.

Repeat as needed.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Well, as a matter of fact. If you drink enough you don't remember it in the morning. And, if you don't remember a drink, the calories don't count. Right? Sound logic to me. :bigsmile:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Whether there is any truth to that, I know I personally make poor food choices when I have a lot of alcohol, both the night of and day after drinking.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Of course alcohol calories don't count. Neither does anything labeled fun size, anything eaten while standing up, anything eaten so fast you barely tasted it, or anything labeled a kids meal. Food eaten off other peoples' plates or while in the process of cooking doesn't count, either.
  • 20tulipgirl20
    Options
    Bottoms Up!!!!! More Smirnoff fo meeeeee.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    GOSH-I haven't drank in 2 months because of the calories.... You are the BOMB!!!!!!!
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    He drank just as much when he was obese so I don't think its that he's not eating the next day or is subbing alcohol calories for food calories.

I also do not condone for one minute someone who drinks as often or as much as he does, and he knows it.

And I did google alcohol and weight loss and found a few different things. Some saying that straight alcohol will not hinder weight loss. Another thing I read was that while you cannot gain weight from alcohol, while it is being 'digested', anything fatty that you may have eaten can not be broken down and you could gain weight from that.

Made me go hmmmmm, so I thought I would ask the class. :happy:
  • Llorraine11
    Llorraine11 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    oh yes they do count..
  • PHXBlondie
    PHXBlondie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When I was in bartending school they explained to us that your body processes beer and wine the same as food - while you process alcohol differently. Your stomach will digest beer and wine the same as food, however, your stomach will dump alcohol into your intestines straight away - as it doesn't recognize it as food to be digested. We learned this to understand blood alcohol levels. If you drink alcohol without food, you get drunk MUCH faster than if you eat when drinking (as your stomach digests the food and sends the mixture to your intestines incrementally - as opposed to just dumping it there right away). Perhaps that's the reason your friend doesn't gain weight drinking alcohol, while would when drinking beer/wine.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    When I was in bartending school they explained to us that your body processes beer and wine the same as food - while you process alcohol differently. Your stomach will digest beer and wine the same as food, however, your stomach will dump alcohol into your intestines straight away - as it doesn't recognize it as food to be digested. We learned this to understand blood alcohol levels. If you drink alcohol without food, you get drunk MUCH faster than if you eat when drinking (as your stomach digests the food and sends the mixture to your intestines incrementally - as opposed to just dumping it there right away). Perhaps that's the reason your friend doesn't gain weight drinking alcohol, while would when drinking beer/wine.

I get all my dietary advice from bartending school too
  • leejayem
    leejayem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    When I used to drink alot I didn't necessarily put on weight from it but I suspect it was more to do with the fact that I would spend hours shaking my groove thing on the dance floor (which I never did sober!!!!) & chasing guys around!! I would hazard a guess that your friend just burns those calories & doesn't even remember how!! :drinker:
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Whether there is any truth to that, I know I personally make poor food choices when I have a lot of alcohol, both the night of and day after drinking.

LOL! THIS!!!!!

And the 400cal thing. ;-) LOL

Interesting article though. I'm not going to be overly concerned about my alcohol calories (which are maybe once a month). And going to couple that with Chicken Bites (Baked, not fried with no skin). But my wine calories... Yeah, going to be watching those LOL