Gluten free

Options
This is not a diet Ques, rather a gluten free ques. Does anyone practice this for gluten allergy?Celiac disease and if so please give me heads up of where they hide. Clearly I know the obviously culprits, (Wheat, flour, barley and sometimes oats), but I've been told it hides in seasoning, soy sauce, restaurant foods etc. HELP. After careful consideration and research I"m willing to give this a shot for painful painful digestive issues.
Anything else you have to offer, ... advice, great reads, etc... feel free to throw that in too.
Please & thank you in advance.
.... miserable :sick:
Ps- even better can you name 10 boxed/pre packaged foods it's NEVER in? I feel like I can't eat anything anymore.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    in damn near everything. you have to read the label carefully.
    even most beef jerkey has it.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    choccy doesnt usually contain gluten
    neither do crisps (or 'chips' if your American, but then i never know how you tell the difference between a 'chip' and a chip) anyway

you just have to be organised, make your own food

Frusli bars are great
    9 bars if you have them...

ummm, i'm probably not the best person to ask, because i dont live in america (and i am assuming you do)

but i found a lot of my digestive problems vanished after giving up gluten (and dairy too)

goodluck!
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is me. Allergies to gluten, gliaden, wheat, rye, barley and spelt. My mom has been diagnosed as celiac. When looking at labels, anything just listed as "spices" could have it; soy sauce has wheat in it unless you get tamari; oats and rice are generally okay, just make sure they don't have a statement about processed on the same equipment.

I don't really eat much processed food other than rice crackers. Bob's Red Mill seems to be good at no cross contamination in their gluten free items. You'll find it much easier to avoid it by cooking from scratch. Some restaurants are better than others, and several do have gluten free menus, you just have to ask. There are several good websites you'll find under gluten free and Paleo with lots of gluten free recipes. One of my favorite recipe blogs is http://beta.primal-palate.com/category/recipes/
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/129-gluten-free You might like to join this group. They can probably answer your questions.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    LaChoy soy sauce is gluten free. Malt is made from barley and you have to watch out for that. Watch out for modified food starch unless it specifies which type. Add me as a friend if you want. Canned chili- wolf brand is gluten free, dinty moore beef stew has always been gluten free, bisquick has a gluten free mix, it is awesome, taste of china peanut noodles is gluten free, rice and corn chex are gluten free. There is a Weight watchers santa fe rice and beans and a cheesy broccoli rice and chicken frozen meals are gluten free and there is so much more.

It took me about 6 months to learn to read those labels. There is also and gluten digest enzyme that is helpful if you want to eat out. I am severely gluten intolerant so I understand your pain.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Is there a gluten digest enzyme available? I hadn't heard this. Could you please share and tell where it can be found? I'm gluten intolerant and find it a challenge to eat out while we are away on vacation. Having a enzyme would be a nice option!:smile: Thank you!
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Look at ingredients on EVERYTHING, even if you've checked it a million times before, check it again every time. Watch for terms like Modified food starch, malt, wheat, ect. A couple reasons why I say check everything:

1) Companies can change recipes on their product at anytime, they don't have to tell you that they've done it so for example that yogurt that you like that doens't have gluten on the label or states that it's gluten free on the label that you've been eating for years, could suddenly have it.
    2) According to the FDA, if an item contains less that 2% modified food starch or wheat product in the entire container (not per serving) it can be labeled as gluten free.
  • jodigirl03
    Options
    Silly ques and I don't have any in the house to just go read a label but are whole grains gluten free?
  • jodigirl03
    Options
    Is there a gluten digest enzyme available? I hadn't heard this. Could you please share and tell where it can be found? I'm gluten intolerant and find it a challenge to eat out while we are away on vacation. Having a enzyme would be a nice option!:smile: Thank you!

That would be GREAT! I'm not aware but I'm waiting patiently ... lol. :)
  • Mokey41
    Options
    Silly ques and I don't have any in the house to just go read a label but are whole grains gluten free?

If a grain contains gluten it doesn't matter what form it is.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of going gluten free... but, I think I'd go crazy. There's just so much you can't eat anymore.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of going gluten free... but, I think I'd go crazy. There's just so much you can't eat anymore.

:) If it stops you from being in constant stomach pain you'd do it. Trust me. In the end you don't even miss the things you're 'missing' out on because your stomach feels so freaking fantastic it just doesn't matter!
  • Mokey41
    Options

If you aren't celiac or don't have a gluten sensitivity there is really no advantage to doing it. You can cut out or back on breads and pastas which are a lot of empty carb calories without worrying about reading every label like someone with a gluten issue has to.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options

:) If it stops you from being in constant stomach pain you'd do it. Trust me. In the end you don't even miss the things you're 'missing' out on because your stomach feels so freaking fantastic it just doesn't matter!

Exactly this! I went gluten free 3 weeks ago because I realized that with my Hashimoto's disease, I've begun having issues with gluten. As in, any pasta or bread would make me stomach hurt so bad and I'd be nauseated for hours. I stopped eating it, and do not miss it 99% of the time. There are plenty of alternatives. I adore almond crackers from Blue Diamond, which are gluten free.

Check your local grocery stores website as well. I know Harris Teeter has an entire list of gluten free foods they carry, as well as alternative recipes. Absolutely amazing!

Added bonus, you'll lose weight faster because you aren't eating as many bad carbs!
  • Marjrides
    Marjrides Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    There's a brand of pasta called Tinkyada that is gluten free. My daughter is gluten intolerant and uses that brand all the time. She feels it is the most like regular pasta of any of the brands available. Their whole factory is dedicated to gluten free products, so no worry about cross-contamination.
  • jodigirl03
    Options
    Lots of good info - thanks :smile:
  • 4jamaica
    4jamaica Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have recently found Think Thin bars, which are, for most flavors, gluten free.

Eating gluten free the last year has helped my arthritis and bloating, but it also helps me avoid all of the foods I used to overeat. If I want a sweet snack, I don't eat cookies and cakes anymore. Instead, I choose cashews, plain dark chocolate, fruit, or greek yogurt. Instead of bread as an appetizer at a restaurant, I munch on celery, carrots, or a salad (or save those calories for the main course!). I avoid pasta and sandwiches now, choosing brown rice or vegetables as the backdrop for protein instead. Overall, this is a very sustainable method of eating once you figure out what replacements work for you.
  • jodigirl03
    Options

If a grain contains gluten it doesn't matter what form it is.

I'm clueless in this department so forgive me, can you please elaborate. So whole grains do include gluten? Why are oats ok in MOST/some cases?
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yes. Wheat, rye, and barley all have gluten. Oats are usually not ok because fields often are contaminated by all the other gluten grains that are grown near them. Hope that helps

Oh I also second this. Very helpful list.