some advice please

Options
Hi everyone,

i started MFP a month ago i joined at 175 pounds (height 5ft 6 "/31 yrs old/female) after a month of counting calories and exercising im at 174 pounds. (before MFP and over the last year i have lost 24 pounds then i put back on 7 pounds to be at the 175lbs mark)

not sure if im undercalculating my calories although i take it as per MFP and i excercise min of 4 times a week ( 2 spinning classes/ TRX class and a walk/jog the other night if not 2 nights)
I drink water everyday and i havent drank alcohol either.

i have about 10-15 lbs to go and cant see what im doing wrong.

just wondering if anyone had any advice or similar situation, be grateful for the help

Replies

• oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    If you open up your diary, we can see what your food intake looks like.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    open your diary
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    How do you feel? How about your measurements? The last few pounds can be the most stubborn, but it doesn't mean your body isn't changing... sounds like you have a good plan and are sticking to it... don't let what the scale says determine your success
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? And are you measuring your food? Did you set MFP to lose 2 pounds per week? If so, that is probably too much of a calorie deficit. You should have it set for half a pound a week since you don't have very much to lose.
  • sharonole
    sharonole Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i think i opened it there, can you check please!!!!
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Do you weight or use measuring cups/spoons for food? Do you use a HRM? If you're using the calories burned that MFP gives you, those could be too high.

I find if I don't weigh/measure my food I grossly underestimate what I'm eating.....

And if I don't use my HRM I find MFP grossly overestimates my calorie burn.....

Couple those two things together....disaster! Lol!
  • sharonole
    Options
    i had it at 2lbs then changed it to 1lb so my calories went from 1200 to 1400.
    i eat on average 1600 cals and then eat back my exercises cals - is that wrong???
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    add sodium to what you are tracking
  • sharonole
    Options
    Do you weight or use measuring cups/spoons for food? Do you use a HRM? If you're using the calories burned that MFP gives you, those could be too high.

I find if I don't weigh/measure my food I grossly underestimate what I'm eating.....

And if I don't use my HRM I find MFP grossly overestimates my calorie burn.....

Couple those two things together....disaster! Lol!

i do measure the food the majority of time and if i dont i normally make sure to over estimate . i dont have the HRM - ill have t invest in one lol
  • jasperuk
    Options
    Do you not eat a breakfast ????

Not sure if skipping breakfast helps your weight lost programme, i am sure someone will know more about the effects of skipping it than i do but i was told to eat regularly all through the day and not miss meals out !!!

I am on 1700 cals a day and never exceed that without taking into consideration any exercise i do that a bonus to me not a reason to be below my cals per day limit....
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast. It gets your metabolism going. I used to have to force myself to eat in the morning. It really helps. Even just a little something.
  • sharonole
    Options
    i didnt take measuerments ( hindsight is great).
    My husband thinks im def after toning up ( but then again he is biased lol)

i just assumed the 7lbs i put back on would drop of once i got back into it, and that ya maybe the last 7 would be hard but this is the worst i have ever been, even when i wasnt watching what i was eating i was losing half pound to 1lb a week... Now Nothing :(
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Eat breakfast. It gets your metabolism going. I used to have to force myself to eat in the morning. It really helps. Even just a little something.

breakfast has no affect on metabolism and it only helps if it helps an overall calorie deficit for the day

MANY people do not eat breakfast, me included, and save those calories for later in the day
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options

Yup!! Track your sodium! For myself, one day of high sodium affects my weight for 3-4 days after....so if I have a higher sodium day every three days, the scale doesn't like to move down. Lol.
  • sharonole
    Options

Yup!! Track your sodium! For myself, one day of high sodium affects my weight for 3-4 days after....so if I have a higher sodium day every three days, the scale doesn't like to move down. Lol.

Sorry but how do i track the sodium????
  • dutchman24
    dutchman24 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    As you get closer to your goal, the slower the results...I'm at that point now. But the prev.comments are right...open your diary, for more input.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

a lot of people would disagree with the "gets your metabolism going" part, but yes, definitely eat breakfast, cause at the very least it will make you cranky.

FUEL YOUR BODY!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I can not eat my exercise calories. I was never a lucky one like that. I eat less than what MFP has set. And just record my exercise so I can see what I have done.
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Every body is different just like each of us is different. What works for me may not work for you. What I can say for sure is that you should not jump around. Choose something, try it for a couple of weeks. If it is not working then try something else.
    Lots of advice/information on eating every three to four hours to keep the insulin and your metabolism burning, however, you may not be able to tolerate food first thing when you get up - the real issue is not the scale but how you feel, how your clothes fit. try eating something small, healthy and full of protein in the morning and see if that jump starts you out of your plateau.
    Overall, you have to listen to your body. And, increase your water intake - that will shake out the extra sodium and move things along.
    Good luck!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Actually, fasting in the morning is very beneficial.

Your insulin sensitivity is highest when you wake up, and your body is in fat burning mode.

If you eat something, it will spike your insulin, and all fat burning will halt.

Other bad stuff will happen, but it's best to wait at least 3 hours after waking up to eat anything.

Coffee with heavy cream is okay, though.

If I were you, OP, I would look into eating less or no grains.