The way others see your weight loss

Options
Whether we admit it or not, a big part of most peoples’ motivation for weight loss is to improve the way we look or, more specifically, to improve the way we appear to other people. Of course this isn’t the only reason we lose weight but whether we want to be taken more seriously at work, be looked on as more of a contender in our team sports or turn the heads of potential mates, it’s a biggie when it comes to motives.

I’ve now crept over the 40lbs lost mark and over the halfway-to-target milestone. This loss has led me to some very interesting observations about the way other people view one’s weight loss. It seems to me that people fall into distinct groups. I wonder if this rings true for anyone else.

1] The Complimentors
These are the very nice people who comment often on how well you look and commend you for your efforts in a genuine way. They often start to notice even early on and comment on the first sign of weight loss and applaud you when the see you eating healthily. In my experience, complimentors tend to be female and have a healthy body weight themselves.

2] The concerned complimentor
This group also comment on your weight loss and eating habits but urge you to be cautious with “I think you’re overdoing it” or “You’ve lost enough now, it’s time to stop” even when my BMI has just crept out of the obese range.

3] The negative
Luckily, the number of people who have said something negative directly to me is very small so I think and hope this is a minority group. Last week I had one individual comment “How can you lose 40lb and still be so fat?” Ironically, I find the rare interactions with this kind of person more motivating than most as it prompts an “I’ll show you” response.

4] The no commentor
This is by far the bulk of the populous, the people who, despite the fact that you look great, have had a complete change of wardrobe and have dropped 20% of your body, don’t seem to realise. Closer examination reveals that these people really form 2 groups.
Firstly you have those who are genuinely oblivious. Often middle aged men who are not aware of their own weight never mind yours and who, if asked about your appearance before and after, would respond “Emmm, about average?”
Secondly you have the large group of large people who know that they too have a weight issue. And by acknowledging your weight loss they may have to strike up a conversation with themselves about their own health and body image. Often this is too painful so they ignore weight loss in others thus avoiding the subject.

Just a few observations on my part, perhaps others have experienced similar or have noticed other interesting behaviours.

Replies

• pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    3] The negative
    Luckily, the number of people who have said something negative directly to me is very small so I think and hope this is a minority group. Last week I had one individual comment “How can you lose 40lb and still be so fat?” Ironically, I find the rare interactions with this kind of person more motivating than most as it prompts an “I’ll show you” response.

:noway:

That is mean... but those people are going to be mean no matter what. Luckily I'm surrounded by type 1 and type 4 people. Type 2 and 3 are just plain annoying.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Excellent post, and bang on the money!

Weight loss, for me, has really separated the men from the boys in terms of my friends and loved ones. Heartening in some ways; very saddening in others.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I have lost a third of my body wt. and nobody in my small town has even commented on it. They don't seem to notice that I've lost 104 lbs. It is irritating, but I found that I don't need their responses to lose the wt. I am doing this for myself and my multiple health issues that I have from being morbidly obese all my life. I do wish that others noticed, but I can do this, and have, without their support. I have my husband's and family's support, along with the support from all mfp friends, and that's all I really truly need.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Some people just don't think it is appropriate to comment on a persons weight or weight loss - they recognize that it is a personal journey and may bring it up unless you initiate the conversation.

I can't believe someone asked you how you could still be so fat... what a douche!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Add another group to your list. Some people are shy and don't know what to say. I fall into that group a good bit of the time.
  • KateS211
    KateS211 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So true! I especially agree with the non-commentor definitions.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Wow. I never thought about it before, but that's soo true.

I would like to add the over-enthusiastic complimentor. These people also tend to be women, and for some reason gush inappropriately about your weight loss. Maybe someone can weigh in on why these people ar like this, because I can't figure out the purpose of this type of interaction....

"OMG you looks SOO GREAT! I mean, I know you looked good before, but you look AMAZING now!"
    "Thank you, it was hard work, but I'm pleased."
    "Yeah, it must have been SO HARD! You look freaking AMAZING! How did you do it? I can't believe how WELL you've done losing the weight! Come here Tammy! Look at Shay! She looks AMAZING don't you all think? OMG OMG! You're butt looks SEXY! And look at your FACE! It looks SO HEALTHY!!"

By far the most embarrassing complimentor. I've had about 3 of these people interact with me since the summer started.
  • BubbleGumLace
    BubbleGumLace Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The ones I can't stand are the ones that notice early on but don't want you to lose the weight. They start commenting "are you losing weight?", "are you dieting?" and then proceed to try and offer you bits of junk food to derail your path.
  • chrishg
    chrishg Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    All of these are good observations.

It's true that there seems to be a bunch of people who, almost subconciously, want to stop you losing weight. Surprisingly, these people can be amongst your closest friends! I think we underestimate sometimes the role we have played in being someones "fat friend". The person that they can think of when they feel bad about themselves and say "well, I'm not as bad as them yet. Once we drop down to their size we can't fulfill that function any more. It's not a major criticism of this type of person as I think they often do it without realising their own motives.

Also I think people don't like change and worry that the "new you" might redefine the relationship you have with them. I think this can be a really big problem when one half of a marraige makes great progress and insecurities creep in (thankfully this is not speaking from personal experience).
  • twinkychops
    twinkychops Posts: 228 Member
    Options

2] The concerned complimentor
    This group also comment on your weight loss and eating habits but urge you to be cautious with “I think you’re overdoing it” or “You’ve lost enough now, it’s time to stop” even when my BMI has just crept out of the obese range.

This one! It really gets my goat, I have a skinny friend whose always been skinny and has never had to work at being slim and I have JUST gotten out of the obese range and she said EXACTLY this! I mean WTF? way to be supportive love! I'm so happy that I'm on the way to a healthier weight and she has to say something daft like that!
  • i've been around all, gosh.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Excellent post, and bang on the money!

Weight loss, for me, has really separated the men from the boys in terms of my friends and loved ones. Heartening in some ways; very saddening in others.

I agree! I enjoyed reading this post and found myself shaking my head saying, yup I know them, and them, I hate them etc.

I also agree with how it's seperated people from my friends to the people I don't want to be around anymore due to either coments they said about my weight lose or just "those looks"
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate?

Hahaha.

Seriously though, most people are nice and approving, but I noticed that people that seem to have weight issues of their own are typically the concerned ones.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    You forgot the nasty jealous b*ches that sneer and look down their noses when you walk by sporting a hot skirt you haven't been able to wear in years or a new dress that shows off your weight loss quite nicely.

Oh, wait...that's because you're a guy.

LOL
  • mattbuzzy
    Options
    Mainly 1 and a few 4's for me, though probably more would have been 4 if I didn't strike the conversation first, I post my progress to facebook to share with family and friends and have inspired a few to join the journey which makes me feel pretty good, so most people when they see me end up saying "wow I can see you have lost weight how much have you lost now?" as they know I am open about sharing and a few have joined the gym I go to which is great as it gives us all someone to talk to and keep morale high. One of the people who work at the gym I go to approached me today and said he could see I have lost weight and how much I had lost despite it only being about 4.3kg so you are right about some people noticing right from the start.
  • 1sophiesophie
    1sophiesophie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    These ring true for me - it was fun reading your summaries of them.

I was most pleased that you included group 2. In my book, this group is the most irritating by far and I just don't understand the motivation. I am at a healthy weight now which I am very happy with, but I have been much lighter in my adult life. Yet, at my lightest, I was always described as "athletic" (implying "fit, strong, sporty and healthy"), rather than "thin" or "skinny", yet it is by these same people that I receive the "ooh - don't go too far" comments today.

It implies that just because you have successfully "dieted" (yes, I have just used the "D" word), then you're suddenly going to develop a psychiatric condition. Not only does this demonstrate a disappointing lack of understanding of the type of person I am and the careful (slow) way I have lost weight, but also a complete misunderstanding for the complex range of events that likely cause somebody to develop serious conditions relating to body image, such as anorexia. I seriously could rant about this for hours - it is by far the most annoying thing I have come across during my weight loss journey. People confuse "obsessive" with "dedicated" and associate it with the beginnings of a "psychiatric dis-order", which is infuriating (and nonsense).

Then, as you angrily respond, it only makes you look defensive.

Grrrr. Hurrah for those who fall into Group 1!

*rant over*
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    SO TRUE! Great observations!

AND THEY CAN SWITCH! - I have a swticher around me! Someone who, at first, was a complimentor because I have 40 lbs to lose. But now that I am creeping closer into her range, she doesn't mention a thing.
  • beckarini
    beckarini Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the FEEDERS! My office is jam packed full of feeders.
    They know I'm trying to lose weight but the constant comments of 'Oh I'm sure one chocolate biscuit won't hurt your diet??' really wear you down - and make me snappy whenever someone gets up to make a coffee.... :( Though I need to work on my wilpower to try and refuse!
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    How funny - I wrote a blog post on this today on my MFP blog.

Another angle is the cultural perspective - it is more or less appropriate to comment in some cultures, and there are different values associated with being fat...

Small excerpt from my post today:

I have recently lived in Asia and the Middle East, where the culture regarding commenting on weight is WAY different than my own. It's not considered rude or personal to make comments on someone's weight who you barely know. A couple times when visiting Africa, I've been congratulated on being fat, as it's considered a sign of wealth and health. In Pakistan, people won't call you fat - they call you 'healthy'. But they mean fat. My regular taxi driver here in Yemen recently told me that I should do more exercise because I am too big. My work colleagues in Pakistan would never fail to mention any little fluctuation in my weight. Sometimes in friendly, empathetic ways - 'well, it's because you're fat, like me!', other times just very practical - 'well, you should sit in the front of the car because you are the biggest'. Definitely stings a little, and I tend to get a bit huffy, but after a while you become a bit immune to it. People honestly don't mean any harm, and don't consider it to be rude.

Maybe there's a category 5: The well-meaning insulters (:
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options

Seriously though, most people are nice and approving, but I noticed that people that seem to have weight issues of their own are typically the concerned ones.

That's such an interesting observation. Pre-MFP, I can being the one who commented in a 'concerned' manner. Probably because I should have been concerned about myself!