Anyone know what is best Body Media vs Fit Bit

Options
Ok so I want to work on getting a better reading on what I am burning.

This is what I am wanting it do do. Ok I want it to accuratly tell me what I am burning durring Zumba or durring the day. I think I might be putting that I am burning too much.

I looked a hear rate monitors and everything. These things are so expensive :grumble: and I don't mind spending the money if it is worth it. A friend had the fit bit and hers broke in two months of having it.

Anyone know from personal experience... help me! go ahead and weigh in on it please

Replies

• katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    i lke my fitbit personally.

i've had mine since the beginning of october, and the only time it's been tempramental is today.

ultimatley, it depends what you want.

I wear my fitbit all day every day, it's easy and discrete, and i do a lot of running and walking.

If i was the type to do regular sessions in the gym including a wider variety of workouts than walking and running, i'd be more tempted by a HRM. But i wouldn't wear it all the time.
  • inktink
    inktink Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've had my body media fit band for over a year and I still love it. It's more accurate than the fit bit because it takes readings (I believe over 5000 a minute) of a couple different things to accurately predict your calorie burn. The fit bit is really just a glorified pedometer. I lost 24 lbs before I got pregnant, and since I had my LO, I've lost 40 lbs. Now that MFP and BMF "talk" to each other, it's even better.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I had a fitbit and lost it. It worked great, but not for telling you what you're burning doing anything other than walking. It kept good track of how many steps a day I took, and was essentially only useful for monitoring how many calories I burn doing my normal daily activities.

I also have a heart rate monitor and it does accurately tell you exactly what you burned doing an activity. I will say that the values on there were sometimes higher than what MFP gave me, and sometimes lower.

If you want an accurate measure of what you're burning with a specific activity, I'd recommend a heart rate monitor. If you want a fun tool to see what you burn doing normal, daily stuff, then go with fitbit (btw, my heart rate monitor was significantly less expensive than my fitbit. I have a polar - got it at target on sale for $35, but even on amazon it's less than the fitbit).
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I have both, and wear both when I'm running, biking ect. I go by what my HRM (it's a polar FT4) tells me I've burned. They're 2 different things so it really depends on what you want it for more. I got my Polar for under $75 (with shipping) through amazon. com and it was worth every penny! My fitbit was worth every penny as well since it helped me get moving more but if it ever broke, I don't think I'd replace it cause I love running too much now to need something to push me to do it.

I've had issues with my Fitbit (first the dock didn't work so it wouldn't sync then it went blank and was very dim) both times, customer service was great and I got a new docking station then they replaced my fitbit with a new one.

For Zumba, I think you'd be better off with the HRM but honestly I've never done it so I can't compare the 2
  • talaysia3
    talaysia3 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I had the fitbit. I replaced 3 of them in a 6 month timeframe (Lost, Dead, Broke). I didn't find the calories burned very accurate because really it's just a pedometer. I did find it a great motivator to get moving. I really hated when MFP did an update with the syncing of the fitbit, then the calories burned really went out of whack for me. I have since gave up on my fitbit and bought the bodymedia fit link. This is only my second week of having it, and I feel that it the calories burned a little more accurate. Beware, to use the bodymedia fit, there is a $6.95 monthly charge, but the first 3 months are free. I have already lost 2 more pounds using the bodymedia fit whereas it was taking me awhile to lose 1 pound with the fitbit. I think that my calories burned were under estimated and I wasn't eating enough with my fitbit.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my blog, I just posted yesterday's results for my body media... as I started using it again after a year (I bought it last year and used it for about 3 months)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/crazyellybean

Now I also own a Garmin FR60 (which can be synced with Body Media) and I love that thing!! Mine has a footpod for distance and also has wireless sync. I can wear it well swimming, or whatever. The body media is useful for information, but the FR60 was well worth the purchase
  • SassieChik03
    SassieChik03 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at the Polar FT 60 for a few months. I'm thinking about putting it on my Christmas Wish List this year. It's super expensive, but I've not heard anything bad about the product in six months. :)
  • catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I've had my body media fit band for over a year and I still love it. It's more accurate than the fit bit because it takes readings (I believe over 5000 a minute) of a couple different things to accurately predict your calorie burn. The fit bit is really just a glorified pedometer. I lost 24 lbs before I got pregnant, and since I had my LO, I've lost 40 lbs. Now that MFP and BMF "talk" to each other, it's even better.

I agree with this. I have the bodymedia too..

To add... the dashboard for the bodymedia is alot better than fitbit.... and its not "lost" as easily. I hear lots and lots of people lose their fitbit or it falls in the toilet or any number of other things. Leave it in their pockets and wash it...

I also read you add to certain activities with the fitbit, another disadvantage compared to the bodymedia!

Also love the "talking" now with MFP, and not having to log the exercise. it automatically "syncs" up!!
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I think the cost between an HRM and Fitbit are pretty similar, depending on brand of HRM and features of the Fitbit. I have both, and my Fitbit was $30 more than my Polar HRM. I think the HRM gives a more accurate calorie count than Fitbit since Fitbit is just counting steps, not exertion. It would work fine for Zumba (aside from not knowing your heart rate), but does not work at all for strength training since you're not really moving your feet. I use both when I work out, then enter the workout manually on MFP (entering in the calorie burn listed on the HRM, not using what MFP suggests). As long as you type in the time that you worked out, your MFP calories will sync with your Fitbit (if using both) and will not be double counted.

Bottom line...I think you'll get a more accurate calorie count with an HRM, but I still love my Fitbit:)
  • serenalesley
    serenalesley Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitors are the best way to ACCURATELY know what calories you're burning. The most accurate HRMs are the ones with chest straps. Polar are considered to be a very good brand. AFAIK, the FT4 is the cheapest one with a chest strap and calorie counts, though I could be wrong. It is also fully waterproof so can be worn swimming.

A Fitbit (Zip, Ultra or One) is great for easy, automatic step/calorie counting but not suitable for cycling, swimming, anything with tiny movements such as pilates, or anything that is more strenuous than the movement would suggest such as weight lifting. You need a HRM for tracking those things. You can use a fitbit for everyday stuff (automatic tracking and syncing with MFP) and manually add individual exercises from your HRM readings into MFP which will then update that time period in your Fitbit account so that it's definitely accurate and so that you don't get credited twice.

A Heart Rate Monitor isn't suitable for 24/7 use like the Fitbit. A Fitbit has limitations that the Heart Rate Monitor doesn't. For the best of both worlds, many people (including me) have both.
  • August_1958
    August_1958 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my blog, I just posted yesterday's results for my body media... as I started using it again after a year (I bought it last year and used it for about 3 months)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/crazyellybean

Now I also own a Garmin FR60 (which can be synced with Body Media) and I love that thing!! Mine has a footpod for distance and also has wireless sync. I can wear it well swimming, or whatever. The body media is useful for information, but the FR60 was well worth the purchase

Where do you buy the body media?
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have had the FitBit for 4 months and find that it is pretty accurate for calorie estimation. There are times when it is not useful though. You can't go swimming with it and cycling is not accurate. I don't like the idea of the Body Media because it is big, first of all and I don't like the idea of a monthly charge to use a something that I have already purchased. It seems like a bad business model.

I think that either one will work and neither will be totally accurate.
  • talaysia3
    talaysia3 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Where do you buy the body media?

I got mine from Target.
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit and a HRM. Don't know much about the Body Media though. I got my FitBit a couple weeks ago and I really like it so far. I have a desk job and it helps me become more active during the day; it also helps me determine my average TDEE and track my sleep. However, for most workouts a HRM is better since it will be more accurate at calculating calories burned (since FitBit focuses on steps for that). I think a mix of both works well.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have an HRM and a Fitbit. In the beginning i was skeptical of the fitbit but to be honest I do not agree with the posts above. It does keep very accurate calorie count and I tested it while walking, running and Zumba and all of them were very close to my Garmin HRM (within about 20-50 calories). I am very pleased with it. I still wear my hrm with all planned exercise not sure if im going to continue that or not though.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    i used the body media for a month before returning it...it was really uncomfortable on my arm wearing all the time, and would start to irritate it...it just felt reallllly intrusive...i have a fitbit now and love it. i dropped my jogging and when i found it it had been run over and no longer worked, so i emailed the company and they sent me a brand new one. The newer fitbit they are just releasing looks even better, as i think it is less likely to fall off, but i still reccomend a leash. Also, the fitbit website is really useful and it integrates awesomely with MFP
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    I LOVE my Body Media Fit Link. The real time information I can get over my phone (via bluetooth) helps keep me on track and I LOVE the interface with MFP! I only wish it had a Heart Rate Monitor on it. Heck it even monitors sleep (which I have also found to be rather accurate).

It tracks way more data than a FitBit but it can also be a bit more pricey (not by much if you consider the information it provides). I have not had mine a very long time but I am geekin' out on the data and recommending it to all my friends and co workers. It is so easy to use.
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have a body media fit and a polar ft7 HRM. Both are extremely accurate. HOWEVER, the body media fit will give you a lower calorie burn INITIALLY than the HRM but at the end of the day the overall calorie burn is the same. I was using both but now just wear my body media fit. It's an amazing device and well worth the money spent.
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Don't you have to pay for an account to use the Body Media?