Uncomfortable with the topic of my weight loss

Options

Replies

• sgreen328
    Options
    I am just the opposite when it comes to sharing with a few exceptions. Has anyone been mean in the past about your weight. This has happened to a few people I know and now they don't want anyone to know they are losing weight. If thats the case I agree with a PP about finding someone you trust to start sharing with. You should be proud of what you have accomplished
  • want2belean
    want2belean Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You feel the way you feel, there is no other way around the people you run in to accept to change the subject and if they still presist, just say I rather not talk about it.

I don't know if they are asking how much weight you loss, but that is not the appropriate thing to ask someone.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I dont like when people ask me how many pounds I've lost. To me its like wearing a poster stating how bad I let myself get.
  • adk88
    adk88 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am just the opposite when it comes to sharing with a few exceptions. Has anyone been mean in the past about your weight. This has happened to a few people I know and now they don't want anyone to know they are losing weight. If thats the case I agree with a PP about finding someone you trust to start sharing with. You should be proud of what you have accomplished

I've never had anyone treat me badly or be negative towards me because of my weight. It's not even something I've ever struggled with. I never yo-yo dieted, nothing like that. I was content with myself and I loved myself even before my weight loss. I never felt out of place, or uncomfortable even though I was bigger. I made a decision one day to be healthier, and then I did it. I am very open with my boyfriend about it, but he really seems to be the only person that I am comfortable discussing it with. I know it's a huge accomplishment, and don't get me wrong, I am very proud of myself.

Someone mentioned that it draws attention to what I used to weigh when focusing on the amount that I lost. That seems like a reasonable explanation to me. I guess with never really feeling bad about myself before, I didn't really notice how unhealthy I was. And now, after losing almost 70 lbs, I can finally see it for what it really was. Hard to say if that;'s it for sure, but it's certainly a possibility!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    If I don't want to talk about something, I'll say something like "enough about that, how about those Seahawks this season?"
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I am EXTREMELY uncomfortable with discussing my weight loss with people. (excluding husband and select friends on MFP)

I really would prefer people in my offline life say nothing at all.
  • lustingforfitness
    Options
    It's probably because you're uncomfortable with the way you looked before and you want to put it all behind you and pretend it never happened--that's how I was. But I've accepted it now that everyone has kind of realized I'm a new, thinner person and they don't really comment on the fact that I've lost SO much weight, they just say I look good and I appreciate it now and say thank you. Good luck. xoxo
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't like when people mention it unless they know I'm working on it. I think it's nice to just tell someone how great they look and leave it at that. When someone dyes their gray hair, people don't ask how many bottles of dye it took or congratulate them on doing it. They just say, "I love your hair color!" To me, commenting on a person's body in specific ways is akin to asking someone if they were trying or not when there is a pregnancy. If you are close enough to know, you'll find out because I choose to tell you, if not, it's just awkward.
  • FitinHonau
    FitinHonau Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It is like me! I grew up told I was ugly. In the last twelve years I have lived in so many different countries, and everybody talk how beautful I was!!! it made me so unconfortable. I never believed them, I always thought I was ugly and I had accepted it.

The last 6 years I have done a lot of work on myself. Now, I have started accepting myself and loving myself! I accept any compliment. Unfortunatly,as I am a stay home mother and I do not meet a lot of people, I am missing those positive remarks!!! Even for the 3 kgs I have lost...nobody seems to notice me :(

You need to love and value yourself and you have the right to be beautiful and skinny. It is not reserved only for the others.
  • blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    totally feel the same way! I don't care if people say "you look really great!" but when they start saying "you have lost a lot of weight, etc" I get very embarressed and uncomfortable. I was talking to a guy in one of my classes the other day and this girl who I haven't seen all year ran up to me and said "you look great- whatd you lose like 100 pounds?!" i def haven't lost that much or had that much to lose, but still its just embarressing and awkward.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    huh. I'm not shy about anything and I genuinely love hearing how great I look.
  • Kyrogix
    Kyrogix Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 100%. Weight loss and improvements in fitness level is a personal thing. However, when friends, family and loved one's notice your hard work and efforts take it gracefully. Good luck with your journey!
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Broadcasting my start weight and how much I wanted to lose was my way of holding myself accountable.
    Broadcasting that I gained weight back has helped me kick it in the butt too.....
  • cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I only want to talk to about three people about my weight loss. The questions usually stop when someone wants to know how I'm losing weight and I tell them I run 20 miles a week. I don't like attention being drawn to how I look. That should only matter to me and my husband and as long as we're happy I don't think it's anyone elses bussiness.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm ok with it as long as it isn't my family saying "are you going to stick with it this time?" That's horrific.,.......
  • cassiegal724
    cassiegal724 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I like gettting the compliments, it feels nice to know that my hard work and dedication is paying off. What actually annoys me is when I'm asked for my "secret" and get disappointment when it's eating less/healthier and exercising. I find it incredibly gratifying to motivate and inspire people, but I can't give anyone a quick fix!
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Yes, i feel the same. I would like to just say "Thank you" and move on but when they keep going on about it i get uncomfortable. FOr me i think there are a couple reasons. The first being that im embarassed that i left myself get that big. I like to think that people just werent noticing me/weight gain but when they comment on how much ive lost, i know thast not true. Another thing is that i still get uncomfortable with them looking at my body because im not happy with it yet. So when they step back and look at me completely i get a bit shy and think of all the problem areas that sitll need work.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Def yes! I think it is more a feeling of embarassement for me personally,perhaps because I feel like I should not have gained the weight to begin with ya know? Weird I am getting more comfortable with it now but still hard lol Good luck on your road to success doll ^u^
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I am actually in the same boat. People that haven't seen me in a while will make comments and can't believe it. One of my sorority sisters told me to stop losing weight and not get any thinner because I'm half the bean i used to be (my pledge name is Vanilla Bean) but as i thought about it, i still don't feel any thinner. But what makes me uncomfortable is when the subject comes up about running because a lot of people can't believe that I do 5ks (i have ran 5 so far) and its like "you really think I couldn't do it?" :grumble:

Just say "thank you" and then change the subject. The only one I feel comfortable talking about weight stuff to is my husband, but that is because he has seen me at my heaviest and still loved me, he has seen me at my tiniest (which is what i am now) and still loves me.
  • possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    What about if you just thank them and focus on your health or how you feel? Then change the subject.

Something like, "Thanks. I'm getting healthier.", "Thanks. I'm feeling better.", or "Thanks. I'm enjoying (fill in your favourite activity or exercise here)." Then add a comment about something unrelated, "Did you see the new James Bond movie?" or anything else to introduce a new topic and left them know you are finished having a discussion about your body now!

If you tell them you don't want to talk about it, they may assume that you have health or food issues that are causing you to lose weight.

It is your body so shut the conversation down if you don't want to have it.

Good luck!

I LIKE