Morning Workouts

Options
Does anyone get their work out in in the early AM? I have tried before but just could not make it a habit. I am thinking about trying an AM workout before work tomorrow and would love a friend/friends to keep me accountable and to stick to AM workouts with me!

Replies

• Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I am a terrible morning person. I told myself I would do AM workouts and just never did. I said forget it and go straight from work now and it works perfectly for me. I wish you luck with this! It's not easy to become a morning person.
  • chsmith79
    chsmith79 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have in the past. Right now, I am doing a Nov. challenge"morning mile", AND I feel SO much better when I get at least a mile in in the morning(very first thing I do) I still workout in the evenings, but I am thinking about changing my routine.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You need to work out when it suits you, your body and your lifestyle best. I'm a morning person so it's easier for me to get up early and go for a ride or whatever. But by the time I get home from work, I just need to rest and relax.

So just figure out what's right for you.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Don't feel like you MUST work out in the morning--just find a time that will work with your routine! I personally do work out in the morning (4:30 the alarm goes off, 5:15-6:45 I'm at the gym, 7:15 off to work). It's just a matter of not making it a question. There is no "Am I going to the gym today?" The alarm goes off, and you ARE going to the gym today. Now I feel off if I don't get up till 6. But if you told me I had to work out at 5:00, I would still be 40 pounds heavier because I would never go. Just do what works for you!
  • titanium2012
    Options
    I'm not a morning person but it's the only time I know I can get to the gym. After work gets too hectic. Also, it feels so much better when I know I'm done for the day when I get outta work, instead of having to change and hit the gym.

But with that said, I tried for years to do this, and it's only been the past few months that I've been able to get myself to consistently wake up and go. I agree with people who say don't sweat it if the morning doesn't work for you.
  • michelle0989
    michelle0989 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! i do tend to be a morning person and the few weeks i did AM workouts before were awesome, i loved it. but just like someone mentioned i started making it a question rather than a statement of whether i am going or not. it's really the only convenient time for me to workout so i just need to really buckle down and stick with it. these cold winter months will really be a true test :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm at the gym by 4:40am M-TH.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think the trick is to get enough sleep the night before. I am usually asleep well before 10 pm and get up at 4:45 am to workout. Good Luck!
  • bfcano
    bfcano Posts: 19
    Options
    I find that if you pack your clothes i.e. what you'll wear to work out and then what you'll wear to work it's a lot easier to mindlessly get up and out the door. I even take it a step further and pack a healthy lunch the night before.
    This makes it way easier for me to fit in a morning workout.
    Also you might try just one or twice a week a first until you get into the habit of doing morning workouts frequently.
    And always have a little snack before your workout it will give you more energy to push yourself.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    http://magazine.foxnews.com/food-wellness/better-workout-morning-afternoon-or-evening =)

I'm tooootally a morning workout person. But some of my friends tooootally aren't, lol.
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I am a total morning person, and love working out in the morning, BUT, it is much harder for me when the weather is cold. Still do it, but it takes more coaxing. I run outside, so its just the initial blow, then I'm fine.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Wednesday mornings I am up at 3a and out the door by 345a to be at the gym by 4a to swim for an hour before work. The rest of the time I work out in the afternoons.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Tuesday and Thursdays are my AM workout days. I get up at 5:00 to run 2-3 miles and lift. It was really hard to get into the habit, but once you realize how much nicer it is to get it over with, you'll love it!
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I wish I could rise and shine but I practically trip over myself in the morning.
    I work out after work around 5:30 pm.
  • lavendergirll
    lavendergirll Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am trying something different too! got up this morning and put my walking shoes on at 6:00 a.m. and left the house and walked for a half hour. This afternoon I am walking to the polling place to vote. I really enjoyed the walk this morning and I am planning on doing it again tomorrow. Wish me luck; I tend to lose motivation quickly especially if my bed is warm and cozy and my cat is still sleeping!
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    I jog every week day morning from 7am-9am. Strength Train M, W, & F from 10am-11am and yoga Saturday mornings.
  • Selgar
    Selgar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I try to go every weekday morning at 6am - so far, so good! Feel free to add me. I love getting my workout's over with in the morning. I find it easier to make excuses in the evening
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    My workouts start at 5.45am. I pack my bag and put it in my car the night before. Alarm goes off at 5.30am, jump out of bed, plaster my hair down, brush my teeth and off I go!
    If I do not do this, I won't get to the gym due to work, family commitments and lots of excuses.
    I go to work straight from the gym knowing that my work out of the day is done and I feel so good!
    JFDI (just f**** do it) is my motto!
    it takes a few weeks to get in the habit but it's well worth it.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    If I don't get it done first thing, I most likely won't get it in. I feel so much better knowing I worked out already too !
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I aim to walk my pup every morning, whenever it is that I get up or get home-- sometimes it's early sometimes it isn't.

Aside from a few early morning bike rides, I've never been able to plan to get up and make it happen.

With the walk, I know I am burning 100-150 calories early on and getting my blood pumping, but it doesn't really feel like exercise. I usually take my phone with me and just play on it and take photos along the way and before I know it we are back home. :)