lowest calorie cereal? (UK)

Options

Replies

• MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Technically not a cereal but I second this. I have porridge most mornings.

Porridge is probably one of the most natural cereals, which are defined as the grain of grass such as wheat, oats, or corn - definitely more of a cereal than an Alpen bar, lol!
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I eat Shredded Wheat every morning, great way to start the day (only 189cals) and it has 6g of protein (with semi-skimmed milk), fills me up until Lunch.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/the-nutrition-of-shredded-wheat-cereal.html#b
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hint for those people who think 30g is a small portion: get smaller bowls. Seriouy, this is plenty to fill you up: it just looks small!

broscience. it doesnt matter what time you eat, as long as you get the calories in.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I've been having Waitrose - Fruit and Fibre Cereal which is just 165 calories for 30g with semi skimmed milk. you could even up it to a decent sized portion! :wink:
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Cheerios!! I love cheerios!! 30g is a lot in cheerio world
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I was watching that hungry girl cooking show and she did a bowl of cereal that was 2 cups of puffed brown rice, 1/4 c of corn flakes and a sprinkle of bran twigs with 2/3 c of almond milk for 300 calories. It was a huge bowl of cereal. When I saw her do it I had one of those BOOM That is how it is done, moments.
  • dexter4564
    dexter4564 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Bran Flakes.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    1 Kellogg's All Bran flake

Seriously though, this thread hurts my head.
  • supermoo2
    Options
    Oats that you make yourself are the best - no added sugar and good for keeping cholesterol at bay. If you like to have it a little sweet, add some fruit - all natural or a touch of honey.

Much better than the processed cereals
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    1 Kellogg's All Bran flake

Seriously though, this thread hurts my head.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • katz22
    katz22 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Porridge oats as way more filling compared to anything else. Also really cheap if you buy the plain bag of oats, you just need to have enough time in the morning to weigh out the portion. When I used to have breakfast at work in my old job, I used to have the oats-so-simple sachets & semi skimmed milk - about 220cals.
  • kperito
    Options
    I have to agree with michelleion... I don't look for lowest calories but best nutrition. So here in the US (we have Aldi, too) the shredded wheat is a great calorie bargain; large portion (49g), no sugar, no sodium and it has fiber and protein.
  • ksa49
    ksa49 Posts: 2
    Options
    dont the oats have too many carbs if u are carb counting?
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    katz22 wrote:

Porridge oats as way more filling compared to anything else.
    Also really cheap if you buy the plain bag of oats ...

I agree.
    Buy the cheapest oats you can find.
    It's all instant and easy.
    Don't pay extra to get the word 'instant' or 'easy' written on tbe box.

Put bowl on the scale.
    Press 'zero' or 'tare'
    Add x grams of oats.
    Add boiling water from kettle.
    Put in microwave for 30 seconds.
    Job done.

Try oatbran instead of oats - it's even better for you.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Grape Nuts 45g plus a nut and seed mix with semi-skimmed milk. Quite low calorie-wise and filling. I alternate this with a grilled bacon and poached egg breakfast. Plus two mugs of tea with ss milk. Comes in under 250 calories.
  • ariellyn
    ariellyn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal really is the best! And there are so many healthy variations you can make, so you'll never get bored with it! I add chopped apples, cinnamon and raisins most of the time. A couple slices of banana and a spoon full of peanut butter is another version I often do. A spoonful of sugar-free jam also mixes it up! A drizzle of honey or real maple syrup? I could go on and on with possibilities!
  • hattie491145
    hattie491145 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone has said this - but you get an awful lot of rice crispies for your 30g

Don't know how reliable this is but...
    http://www.breakfast4kids.co.uk/
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'd not thought of peanut butter in porridge. I will have to try this. I like porridge with a few dried apricots chopped up in it, or with the frozen black forest fruits from aldi.
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I came on this post hoping to find some amazing low cal breakfast (knowing that I was just wishing) :( 1 weetabix and skimmed milk it is then, been having it for the past three months and lost 17lbs so another month or two wont hurt! However I'm definatly craving warm ready brek in these temperatures with teaspoon of honey ( tastes amazing)
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I find porridge is the second most filling breakfast - I make it with milk and usually have a banana in.

The most filling, is of course, eggs. I have three eggs on brown toast most mornings. Nom.