slimming thighs

Options
Hey everyone, So here's my issue. I want to slim down my thighs. I have been active my entire life and all it does is add bulk. I'm 5'2 and I've got a couple of tree trunks for legs (or as my husband calls them "soccer legs") I'm tired of putting jeans on and having them so tight on my legs you can't even pinch the fabric. Any Suggestions of exercises that will slim my thighs?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    lose body fat
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    lose body fat

Pretty much.
  • er03bald
    er03bald Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    losing body fat does nothing when you're legs are mostly muscle. therefore any working out will only add More muscle and increase the bulk.
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I been doing the eleptical and the fat on my legs it's just melting! Now their is space between them and getting toned I love my legs now!!

3A04A0CF-00B9-4F7C-97DC-B383A691A877-2285-000001A79EEF96AC.jpg
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    There are no exercises that will slim your thighs specifically. You can't target fat reduction. You just need to reduce your overall body fat percentage (with a calorie deficit) and hope that it comes off where you want it to. You can target your muscles, but it sounds like you don't want to do that. The only way to make muscles smaller is to not use them, and let them atrophy.
  • EatWorkoutLive
    Options
    I been doing the eleptical and the fat on my legs it's just melting! Now their is space between them and getting toned I love my legs now!!

how far apart were these picuters taken? And how long/often do you do the eliptical
    LOOKING AWESOME
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    losing body fat does nothing when you're legs are mostly muscle. therefore any working out will only add More muscle and increase the bulk.

Okay, then you need to lose muscle. So, don't do any exercise, avoid moving your legs too much and eat at an extreme calorie deficit. You'll lose muscle mass.

^Obviously sarcastic.

Chances are, you have more body fat to lose than you think. Have you had it measured? It might be worth looking in to. You can't change the shape of your muscles....no exercise is going to make your leg muscles longer or thinner.

The lady in the picture has thinner legs because she lost FAT that was on top of the muscle - not because the elliptical is a magic machine that makes legs look better.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Run. Running burns muscle on your legs and burns a ton of fat. But really, the biggest change I noticed in my legs was when I started biking. Are you sure it's all muscle? I would get your BF % measurements done and then if too high, lose overall body fat. It's pretty difficult for women to build up enormous muscles without additional "enhancements". Losing fat, even if you add some muscle will most likely help.
  • skyeliz525
    skyeliz525 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried any pilates or ballet (pure Barre) exercises?
  • er03bald
    Options

You're photo is awesome! I was thinking of running or the elliptical, but I am so afraid of adding muscle. I'll have to give it a go and take what I get, any change is a good change. (but if my legs get any bigger I wont be able to even wear jeans lol
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Also, I read on your profile that one of your goals is to not have your thighs touch any more. That might not be possible at a healthy weight, depending on the structure of your skeleton.
  • er03bald
    Options
    well, I obviously have fat to lose I'm not saying that I'm pure muscle or anything like that... but I know that at least 70% of my legs are muscle due to 13 years of martial arts.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    canelly those are some nice legs.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Also, I read on your profile that one of your goals is to not have your thighs touch any more. That might not be possible at a healthy weight, depending on the structure of your skeleton.

Yes, keep in mind that a gap between your thighs doesn't equate being thin. It's mostly related to your hip and thigh bone structure. Ain't no gap in my thighs!
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Your body is amazingly adaptable. to slim legs do long distance running/elliptical. anyone seen a single female distance runner with heavily muscled legs?? strong /cut legs yes but big legs?
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My husband calls my legs "horsey legs" since they are pretty strong from riding. However, Im totally unhappy with them, but it is from fat over the muscles.

I am currently doing about an hour a day of cardio - elliptical, stationary bike, treadmill and am seeing improvement after about a month.

Good luck!
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

That's just not true. It's extremely hard for women to "increase the bulk" especially when not lifting weights and eating at a calorie surplus. If you lower your body fat %, you will see a reduction in your size all around, including on your thighs. I thought my thighs were mostly muscle, too. But then I started losing body fat and they have gone down 3".
  • kwatkin
    kwatkin Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Yes, keep in mind that a gap between your thighs doesn't equate being thin. It's mostly related to your hip and thigh bone structure. Ain't no gap in my thighs!

This makes me feel better, thank you! I always hoped that if I lost more weight, I'd finally have that "gap"... but I have literally NO hips so this probably would explain it, and helps me make my goals more realistic
    I can't beleive I never thought of that! Thanks to both of you. :flowerforyou:
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" as well and have the same "power muscle" issues that you do. Running is doing great things for my legs as yoga. When I was younger I had super solid leg muscles that I had the hardest time finding jeans to fit over them. My jeans would be two sizes too big in the waist so that they would fit over my legs. At least right now, several cuts of jeans are popular so that really helps too.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Women do not bulk up. It's fat over the muscle. Lose the fat and your legs will slim down.

As for not having your thighs touch that's genetics and the way your body is shaped/made up. I am small framed and my thighs touch. I know that the only way they will not touch is if I stopped working out and lost the muscle (and yes, it IS muscle on my thighs not fat) and that ain't going to happen.