Gluten Free Girls (and Guys!)

Options

Replies

• slm638
    slm638 Posts: 64
    Options
    Has anyone made that diet pop cake with a gluten free mix? I'm going to give it a try with Bob's Red Mill Chocolate Cake mix tonight...
  • jessmcwade
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I accidentally glutened myself yesterday. It hasn't happened for a long time but when it does I am absolutely miserable. I was wondering if any of you skip tracking your meals on those days. I know that basically all of the food I ate is not going to be absorbed and I end up extremely hungry later because my body needs nutrients.

Also, since I am an extremely sensitive celiac I have removed everything that has gluten from my home except for two things. Cat food and cat litter and I am going to change them today because I think they are the culprits. Anyone else had to change their pet food and litter?
  • SammiAnne11
    SammiAnne11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Have any of you tired the Ezekiel 4:9 Food for life bread? It isn't gluten free, but is made from sprouted wheat. I was curious how you tolerated it? I found some today, and am curious...

http://www.foodforlife.com/procart_catalog/index.cfm?ProductID=33&do=detail

thanks for any input.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Have any of you tired the Ezekiel 4:9 Food for life bread? It isn't gluten free, but is made from sprouted wheat. I was curious how you tolerated it? I found some today, and am curious...

thanks for any input.
    I guess the obvious question is, if it's not gluten-free, why would you try it?
  • SammiAnne11
    SammiAnne11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

thanks for any input.

The research I have done online, is that since it is a sprouted grain, it is absorbed by the body differently, and can be handled by some celiac patients. I was hoping to expand our diet, obliviously not to harm anyone in my household who cannot have gluten.
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    We are looking at changing our dog food, as we know that the babies have been glutened by touching the dishes before, maybe even from getting nuzzled by the dogs too soon after they've eaten. Periodically they just seem to have a problem, and other than the dog food, we are gluten free entirely.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options

thanks for any input.

The research I have done online, is that since it is a sprouted grain, it is absorbed by the body differently, and can be handled by some celiac patients. I was hoping to expand our diet, obliviously not to harm anyone in my household who cannot have gluten.

My daughter is undiagnosed but very clearly has a wheat issue, we buy Ezekial and other sprouted grain breads, and bake with sprouted flour and she has no issues. I've got two other friends who are diagnosed with celiacs and they too can eat sprouted grain products. But like you said, not everyone can tolerate it...You could buy a loaf and see how it goes I guess.

try www.shilohfarms.com if you want to buy the flour. They also have some pretty fantastic GF and other sprouted grain mixes. We LOVE their graham cracker mix.
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    From what I've read online, the general consensus on sprouted wheat and such is that it still contains gluten and so is not safe for the diagnosed celiac, whether they have symptoms or not, apparently it is still damaging the intestine. For gluten sensitivity, it may be tolerated because there are different levels of sensitivity. As with most things online, I found conflicting opinions on this, but the data saying that it still has gluten looked pretty convincing to me, so we play it safe and don't have it ourselves.
  • jessmcwade
    Options
    I am slowly switching my cats to the gluten free food, so hopefully soon we will be 100% gluten free. I made sure everything in the house including soaps and lotions, etc. were gluten free but never thought about cat litter. So far so good. :)
    My son is most likely celiac as well and I have cut down on his complaints of stomach pain dramatically but every once in awhile he still had a reaction and I couldn't figure out what it was. I feel relieved that I figured it out.
  • runnerdad
    Options
    I am slowly switching my cats to the gluten free food, so hopefully soon we will be 100% gluten free. I made sure everything in the house including soaps and lotions, etc. were gluten free but never thought about cat litter. So far so good. :)
    My son is most likely celiac as well and I have cut down on his complaints of stomach pain dramatically but every once in awhile he still had a reaction and I couldn't figure out what it was. I feel relieved that I figured it out.
    They do make a cat litter with dried wheat meal (other than it being organic, I'm not sure why), which I would think would be a nightmare to have in your house. Most regular brands though should be pretty much gluten-free.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Was at the grocery store yesterday and noticed a gluten-free cereal- Nature's Path Organic Vanilla Sunrise Crunch. It says on the box that it's new, so I tried it and it was awesome! :love: It's all natural, and really great.

Just thought I'd share... I know I was really missing having a bowl of cereal now and then. :wink:
  • runnerdad
    Options
    I think they also make a flavor called Mesa Sunrise - it is really good too. I also like Arrowhead Mills Maple Buckwheat Flakes. And if you are into 'kid's' cereals, most of the Envirokidz cereals are gluten -free and they have some fun flavors (like Leapin Lemurs chocolate peanut butter).
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    I think they also make a flavor called Mesa Sunrise - it is really good too. I also like Arrowhead Mills Maple Buckwheat Flakes. And if you are into 'kid's' cereals, most of the Envirokidz cereals are gluten -free and they have some fun flavors (like Leapin Lemurs chocolate peanut butter).

I did see the chocolate peanut butter cereal but I exercised my better judgment and didn't buy it! I have self-control issues when it comes to anything chocolate peanut butter flavored :blushing: :laugh:
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Anyone know of anything (over the counter anit-bloating capsuls, or any specific foods) that help with abdominal bloating after accidentally consuming gluten? We went to a restaurant today after hearing that they recently came out with a gluten-free menu. It wasn't long after we left that I realized that my meal was NOT gluten-free. Have been feeling crappy, and extremely bloated ever since.

I know it will pass with time (a few days :ohwell: ) but I'm wondering so I can be prepared on our vacation next month in case I accidentally consume gluten. I don't want to be super-bloated or feeling terrible on vacation.

Just wanted to see what (if anything) you guys would recommend! :flowerforyou:
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Did everyone disappear!?!? :noway:
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Anyone know of anything (over the counter anit-bloating capsuls, or any specific foods) that help with abdominal bloating after accidentally consuming gluten? We went to a restaurant today after hearing that they recently came out with a gluten-free menu. It wasn't long after we left that I realized that my meal was NOT gluten-free. Have been feeling crappy, and extremely bloated ever since.

I know it will pass with time (a few days :ohwell: ) but I'm wondering so I can be prepared on our vacation next month in case I accidentally consume gluten. I don't want to be super-bloated or feeling terrible on vacation.

fennel actually helps with that feeling...I am not sure about over the counter stuff...maybe the papaya enzyme pills....some kind of digestive enzymes should help.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I think they also make a flavor called Mesa Sunrise - it is really good too.

I totally just bought that!! I was looking at cereals, and thinking about all the horrible stuff that is in the corn flakes that I usually buy, so I wandered over to the organic cereals, and found it on SALE!! I bought that, plus 2 other kinds. It's very good!

I don't have celiac, but I do have a sensitivity to wheat, (cow) dairy, tomatoes, peas, almonds, and cashews. This makes Rice Dream my best friend for the past 10 or so years! I'm switching over to goat milk though, cause I'm finding that there are too many ingredients in Rice Dream, and I just want to eat simpler.

I give thanks every day for the growing popularity in gluten-free foods, cause it's the main thing I look for when grocery shopping. I consider myself like you guys with celiac cause I buy GF bread, cook GF recipes that I find online, and substitute rice/tapioca flour in place of EVERYTHING. Haha!

I'm just mad that my good friend, who has celiac, is the skinniest thing in the world, while eating GF hasn't helped me all that much in terms of weight loss. Though it has made me the healthiest eater in the family. :happy:
  • iRun4wine
    Options

fennel actually helps with that feeling...I am not sure about over the counter stuff...maybe the papaya enzyme pills....some kind of digestive enzymes should help.

Nicole, I have heard of fennel a little bit- but what exactly is it? :huh: Where do I find it?
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options

Nicole, I have heard of fennel a little bit- but what exactly is it? :huh: Where do I find it?

Kelynn- It's actually a vegetable that you find in the produce section. The best bet would be to use it in the raw form if you can or lightly stemaed so that you don't kill the live enzymes in it, which is what is going to help you. They may have it in supplement form at a natural food store too, I am not sure. I have it as an essential oil and I use it when it happens to me about the gluten and soy.