Do you eat your exercise calories?!?!?!?

Options

Replies

• quietcoral
    quietcoral Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I usually eat at least half back mainly because creating too big of a deficit is going to cause your metabolism to slow down and you're going to start lose more muscle that way. You will lose weight faster, but for a price. If you are more overweight a large deficit is ok, but the closer to goal weight the less of a deficit you should have to lose weight in a healthy way.
  • RiotMTB
    RiotMTB Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yes. A caloric defecit is already built in to MFPs caloric calculation. Eating back your excercise calorise means the body has the nutrients to properly repair (build muscle, and maintain bone) and refuel (blood, muscle, and liver glycogen) itself from the results of the excercise.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    if i am hungry i do. if i am not, i don't. i earned a ****load of calories from exercise today, so it'd be asinine to do it.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    uum yes! all of them and sometimes other people's too.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I eat the majority of mine back and sometimes still go over but it hasn't affected my weight loss. Plus I like to eat:)
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Yes, usually about half, sometimes more if I'm especially hungry that day. Works fine for me. I feel like i've been a pig this last week or so, and I've finally started to lose again, so obviously my body needed some extra fuel. I'm actually trying to eat more, and be more consistent.
  • jnp96
    jnp96 Posts: 163
    Options
    I do. Not all of them and not all of the time. It really depends. If I am hungry I will. If not than I don't.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Yup...feed the muscle, burn the fat! I eat to sustain my LBM and work out hard to burn away the fat.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i eat most of my exercise calories back. if i didn't eat any exercise calories back i would be STARVING and that just doesn't fly with me, i get cranky :wink:

even with eating back most of my exercise calories i am still losing at a faster than expected pace, so i'm going to enjoy being able to eat more when i push myself harder at the gym!
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    It depends on the day. Sometimes yes sometimes not.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Always ate them. Very happy with the results.
  • edieb63
    Options
    Sometimes- if I'm really hungry.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I usualy do.
  • moonpieto
    moonpieto Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yes at least part of them that is what motivates me to exercise.
  • GFON
    GFON Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do but almost never all of them. If you exercise you are going to get hungry so you may need some of them back.
  • Eavie0513
    Eavie0513 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Not always, but unfortunatly tonight I drank my exercise calories and then some.
  • dan95130
    dan95130 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. I have the rest of my life to reach my goal weight, so aside from a 500 calorie deficit, I eat the way I expect to eat the rest of my life.
    Do whatever works for you, what's right for me might not be right for you
  • Risser
    Risser Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I may sometimes eat 1/2 of them, but I try not to. But some days you just do ????
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It depends on how many exercise calories I've burned. I'm supposed to consume 1200 calories without exercise. On average, I'm burning about 700 a day from going to the gym. On those days, I wouldn't usually eat them back. But some days I'll burn 1500 at the gym. Those days, I'll eat some back.

I very, very rarely eat them all back. But the way I see it, this way, it doesn't matter if once every couple of months I have an epic fail cheat day. At the end of the week, my calorie defecit is still going to be where it should be. It's what keeps me sane.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    RIght now I'm trying not to eat them back...if so, it's only a couple hundred or so. I have about 20-30 lbs to lose...possibly. Once I hit 155 (18 lbs or so) I'll re-evaluate. My plan is to lose 1 lb/wk so any additional workouts should raise that to around 2 lbs/wk if I don't eat most of them back. Of course I do have days where I'll eat 2000-2200...but really trying to stay around 1600.