What is wrong with my body??!

I see people on here all the time, "going from a size tight 24, to a comfortable 16/14/12. (dont get me started on 6,4.2) lol .. whatever....
I commend you all... beautiful job :) And you all look fantastic!!!

What I don't understand is WHY I don't seem to get there? I look at the profile pics of these people saying they are 16/14/12 etc...
And they are double my size. (or maybe I'm stuck in denial) lol Which is totally possible. Maybe I just THINK I'm thinner than I am??? (I'm not knocking ANYONE!!) I'm just saying, I feel like the people saying they are my size, don't seem at all close to my size) I've lost 26 lbs, and I'm technically the same size I was when I started :(

I'm 5'7" ... 195.... and I BARELY get into a 16. ( I can't believe I just said that out loud) :ohwell:
Is it just in the way your body carries? Is it muscle, or fat? Body shape? Whatttttttttttttttttttttt is wrong with me??
I'm at the point where I feel like 'sizes' are starting to define me... and that sucks. :cry:

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    First off, it's very dependent on how you carry your weight- like, if you tend to be pear- shaped, you're not going to move quickly through pant sizes. Secondly, the bigger the size, the more # lbs lost between them- like when you're down in single digit sizes it might be a mere 10 lbs between sizes, but in bigger numbers it might be 20 or 30- it's just the way it is. :( And body composition definitely has something to do with it- When I started lifting weights I actually skipped a whole size without losing a single pound.

Finally- have you gone out and tried clothes on recently? As your body is changing, it might just be that the stuff you have isn't cut right for your body as it's changing.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    I agree. Maybe I just don't carry weight well? Idk.
    I'm apple shape for sure.
    No I haven't gone out recently.... its embarrassing. :( Even after the weight loss I've had, I can't seem to get out there and try clothes on. I get disappointed quickly and give up. After losing half the weight I wanted to, I feel like I should be able to look a size or 2 down from where I started. But it doesn't turn out that way...
  • ExplorinLauren
    Bump??
    Any advice?
  • RyanJK85
    RyanJK85 Posts: 580 Member
    for me I lost pant sizes, but not near as much off my stomach...went into a guys 36 now
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Everyone carries the weight different...and have different body types. You just can't compare yourself. Work hard, eat right and it will all come off. Some people have a harder time losing...belly fat, thigh, and lower body. It just depends. Don't give up, or give in. You will get there.
  • almcculley
    almcculley Posts: 5 Member
    Honey, a size 16 is great!! I am in an 18 and I weight 193!! Don't despair!! You have lost a lot!! Is that a picture of you? You look fantastic!!:wink:
  • First off, it's very dependent on how you carry your weight- like, if you tend to be pear- shaped, you're not going to move quickly through pant sizes. Secondly, the bigger the size, the more # lbs lost between them- like when you're down in single digit sizes it might be a mere 10 lbs between sizes, but in bigger numbers it might be 20 or 30- it's just the way it is. :( And body composition definitely has something to do with it- When I started lifting weights I actually skipped a whole size without losing a single pound.

Finally- have you gone out and tried clothes on recently? As your body is changing, it might just be that the stuff you have isn't cut right for your body as it's changing.

^^ Agree. Also if you're trying on your older clothes, realize that sizes have gone up. I wear a couple sizes smaller in new outfits than I do in my old skinny clothes. You may be surprised what size you can wear.
  • What has been said, and also remember pant sizes can vary immensely among brands. Some stores, like Old Navy, I'm a 4, yet others I'm a 9. Depending on your go-to brand, it may be that they just run smaller. I also suggest going out and trying on some other brands, sizes, etc.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    What country are you in? Sizes can be different depending where you are. Here in Aus we don't have a size zero in most standard brands. Lowest is usually a 6.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    First off, it's very dependent on how you carry your weight- like, if you tend to be pear- shaped, you're not going to move quickly through pant sizes. Secondly, the bigger the size, the more # lbs lost between them- like when you're down in single digit sizes it might be a mere 10 lbs between sizes, but in bigger numbers it might be 20 or 30- it's just the way it is. :( And body composition definitely has something to do with it- When I started lifting weights I actually skipped a whole size without losing a single pound.

actually, I am short (5'4) and currently size 6. Only 5 lbs at my height and I will be up or down a size.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    I want to point out, that EVERYONE goes into stores and tries things on and EVERYONE hates most of the things they try on. I feel like this is a misconception on the part of people who are overweight/trying to lose weight, that only they are the ones who hate how clothes look on them and that they are the only ones who struggle to find things that fit just right. When in reality, I'm in a size zero or two and am maintaining and love my body yet I still go into a store and may only find a few things that fit me how I want them to!! Trying on clothes is a game with sizes and with fit and with what types of clothes you like on your body. Some stores I'm a two and then I go to H&M and I'm an 8! Every store is different and everyone likes their clothes fitting differently.

Don't worry, eventually you will changes sizes, but it takes a while. You just have to keep losing weight and your size will change eventually! Keep on keepin' on.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    depends on the brand. while i lose weight old navy is pretty much my go to store since the clothes are cheap and cute and if i have to buy new stuff 2 months later because they i'm in a smaller size then it's not a big deal since a) the clothes were cheap and b) the clothes probably wont last 2 months anyway :laugh:
  • kaj44
    kaj44 Posts: 38 Member
    I know it's hard to NOT get caught up with the size thing..........................BUT, you are doing so well.....................LQQK at what you have lost............................that is amazing!!!!! I agree with everyone who said it depends on where you are carrying the weight.................and also, are you taking measurements? I have found that the measurements say more about what is happening than the weight number...................as you exercise you gain muscle, which weighs more....................but you loose inches because its leaner..................................as for the number thing.....................has it occurred to you that maybe "THEY" aren't totally truthful?
    I know its hard not to compare.....................I get caught doing that same thing myself, especially with the number thing.................but then I tell myself, "Self....................it's a journey, and your are on your way to being healthy..............and loosing weight in a way that will stay off........................" I know its silly.....................but try it............................YOU do look amazing....................stay strong.......:wink:
  • ExplorinLauren
    Honey, a size 16 is great!! I am in an 18 and I weight 193!! Don't despair!! You have lost a lot!! Is that a picture of you? You look fantastic!!:wink:

Thank you :) Made my day! :flowerforyou:
  • ExplorinLauren

^^ Agree. Also if you're trying on your older clothes, realize that sizes have gone up. I wear a couple sizes smaller in new outfits than I do in my old skinny clothes. You may be surprised what size you can wear.

Did not realize that. AT ALL. I haven't been going out much lately. I just have a pile of clothes in my closet from 2 years ago that I feel I should fit into by now lol
  • ExplorinLauren
    What has been said, and also remember pant sizes can vary immensely among brands. Some stores, like Old Navy, I'm a 4, yet others I'm a 9. Depending on your go-to brand, it may be that they just run smaller. I also suggest going out and trying on some other brands, sizes, etc.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh Old Navy. Love them bc they size big... so I always feel skinny. lolllllll But, I've never ordered something online from them that ACTUALLY fit. Its either wayyyyy too big, or wayyyyy too small :(
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    I could have written this myself. I am down 42 pounds and still fit into the same clothes (some are big but not enough...Lol). I know exactly how you feel. You'll see on here people that have lost 20 pounds and down 4 sizes! How?!?!? Either they're full of it or they are 3'4"!! My theory is I am perfectly proportioned. Meaning, I am/was fat all over the place. So instead of just losing it in my waist or hips or wherever, I lose inches all over. Some people probably lost in one area rather. Also, you could have lost it in your waist but not your hips so if your pants didn't fit over your hips they still might on your waist but you wouldn't know yet until you lose a little more weight in your hips. Its all just a guess but that is how I justify my pounds lost to no pants sizes lost yet. Add me as a friend if you wish since we can relate pretty well, at least in that aspect.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    From your photo, you have fantastic legs. I'm an hourglass shape and have always had very large legs and thighs, I always have to buy a large calf boot even at my thinnest.

The people who look bigger than you but are in a smaller size - they are probably shorter than you. You can't tell height from photos. I'm also 5'7 - you sound on target.
  • emilysmellz
    emilysmellz Posts: 85 Member
    with all these weird sizings at EVERY single store, and different body types, it's all hard to say!
    i'm 174 & still stuck at a 14/16, most of the time!
    you're not alone!!
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    What has been said, and also remember pant sizes can vary immensely among brands. Some stores, like Old Navy, I'm a 4, yet others I'm a 9. Depending on your go-to brand, it may be that they just run smaller. I also suggest going out and trying on some other brands, sizes, etc.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh Old Navy. Love them bc they size big... so I always feel skinny. lolllllll But, I've never ordered something online from them that ACTUALLY fit. Its either wayyyyy too big, or wayyyyy too small :(

That is Old Navy, not you. Old Navy is notorious for not being consistent in sizing.