NSV: Free Tummy Tuck

Options

Replies

• guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Try clenching it a bit throughout the day, and you get a micro-workout in too. That's how I still maintain being able to do 80 sit ups in under 2 minutes, even when I wasn't working out.
  • MindfulVegana
    MindfulVegana Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bump nice tip
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I strongly believe my last 10 lbs to go is all belly related. Will be more conscious of this.
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    they are literally swimming on me

Good advice, but just so you know, 'literally' means 'actually', 'without exaggeration'. You could have said 'practically swimming on me' or 'virtually swimming on me', but 'literally' indicates that your pants have genuinely donned a swimsuit and gone for a paddle in the pool.
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I do this sometimes. It is much harder than people think lol
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I used to do this all the time as a teenager and into my early adulthood. I actually had a chiropractor tell me I had military posture as a result, therefore he needed to do very little adjustments to my spine. As I started gaining weight, it became more and more difficult to do so, though. I have been trying to get back in the habit when standing, walking, and exercising, but it's still physically difficult to suck it in when I'm sitting down because of the compression effect that happens when my lower abdomen is resting on my thighs.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Fizzletto said:

Good advice, but just so you know, 'literally' means 'actually', 'without exaggeration'. You could have said 'practically swimming on me' or 'virtually swimming on me', but 'literally' indicates that your pants have genuinely donned a swimsuit and gone for a paddle in the pool.

Thanks for this info--FYI, I looked it up and found this...I'm using it in the#2B and latter #4. (in effect) version :wink:
    lit·er·al·ly/ˈlitərəlē/
    Adverb:

1A. In a literal manner or sense; exactly: "the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the traffic circle".
    2B. Used to acknowledge that something is not literally true but is used for emphasis or to express strong feeling.
    literally
      Visit the shop Use Literally in a sentence Origin
    lit·er·al·ly
       [lit-er-uh-lee]
    adverb
    in the literal or strict sense: What does the word mean literally?
    in a literal manner; word for word: to translate literally.
    actually; without exaggeration or inaccuracy: The city was literally destroyed.
    in effect; in substance; very nearly; virtually.
    Relevant Questions

1525–35; literal + -ly

Can be confused:  figuratively, literally, virtually (see usage note at the current entry ).

Usage note
    Since the early 20th century, literally has been widely used as an intensifier meaning “in effect, virtually,” a sense that contradicts the earlier meaning “actually, without exaggeration”: EXAMPLE: The senator was literally buried alive in the Iowa primaries. EXAMPLE: The parties were literally trading horses in an effort to reach a compromise. The use is often criticized; nevertheless, it appears in all but the most carefully edited writing. Although this use of literally irritates some:wink: , it probably neither distorts nor enhances the intended meaning of the sentences in which it occurs. The same might often be said of the use of literally in its earlier sense “actually”: The garrison was literally wiped out: no one survived.
  • NJSunshine13
    Options
    I remember taking karata and being told to breathe with my stomach so your stomach moves in and out (like a baby sleeping). I tried to explain to them that women just don't breathe like that. We are taught to suck our tummies in and hold them there. To this day, I still hold my stomach in .... except after Thanksgiving dinner, when it all hangs out.
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I loved reading this post today! You have encouraged me to get back in the habit of holding in and up for good core and posture. It reminded me of my Dad, who used to do "Isometric exercises" all day, including this lovely diddy! There are many more of these type of exercises used for lengthening and contracting specific muscles/ muscle groups. If you are interested in learning about a few more, google "Isometric Exercises." You might add something like I.E. for the arms... or the core... etc.

I also wanted to direct attention to a previous poster who mentioned that these exercises messed up their back. ( I should have quoted it, I will follow this with the quote.) I would only suggest that, when you focus on an area such as the core, it s good to also focus equally on the opposing muscle so you don't weaken it. In this case, you would want to strengthen your lower back equally to your core. That way everything is balanced and doesn't get pulled or stressed to counter act the activity. I have a roman bench at home and I whenever I do say, 25 crunches on it, I also turn over and do 25 back extensions to even out my core musculature. This has been highly encouraged by my doctor and chiropractor. I will also say that it is the same for every muscle group so if you do 25 quad lifts you must also do 25 hamstring curls etc. When you don't you can really strain your muscles and that will lead to the need for recovery and repair time.

This would be a tremendous help to folks that have been posting about whether they could get their stomach back in shape after labor/ c-sections! Fantastic thread! Best wishes to all of you :-)
  • m0ll3pprz
    Options
    I have been doing this since I was a self conscious teen and I have to warn you that if you are not doing core exercises to strengthen the OTHER muscles THIS WILL MESS YOUR BACK UP. I have suffered from back pain for years, and didn't realize that flexing that muscle has caused the others to weaken from misuse.
    Sure it makes you look like you have a flat stomach and it's fine in the interim, just don't let this be the ONLY thing you do to make your core look better!

This is the post I was referring to in my previous reply. I believe this definitely can happen in certain circumstances but if you manage/ train your opposing muscles, you shouldn't have to worry or suffer over it. Good luck!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Pilates!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
  • m0ll3pprz
    Options

Fizzletto said:

Thanks for this info--FYI, I looked it up and found this...I'm using it in the#2B and latter #4. (in effect) version :wink:
    lit·er·al·ly/ˈlitərəlē/
    Adverb:

1A. In a literal manner or sense; exactly: "the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the traffic circle".
    2B. Used to acknowledge that something is not literally true but is used for emphasis or to express strong feeling.
    literally
      Visit the shop Use Literally in a sentence Origin
    lit·er·al·ly
       [lit-er-uh-lee]
    adverb
    in the literal or strict sense: What does the word mean literally?
    in a literal manner; word for word: to translate literally.
    actually; without exaggeration or inaccuracy: The city was literally destroyed.
    in effect; in substance; very nearly; virtually.
    Relevant Questions

1525–35; literal + -ly

Can be confused:  figuratively, literally, virtually (see usage note at the current entry ).

Usage note
    Since the early 20th century, literally has been widely used as an intensifier meaning “in effect, virtually,” a sense that contradicts the earlier meaning “actually, without exaggeration”: EXAMPLE: The senator was literally buried alive in the Iowa primaries. EXAMPLE: The parties were literally trading horses in an effort to reach a compromise. The use is often criticized; nevertheless, it appears in all but the most carefully edited writing. Although this use of literally irritates some:wink: , it probably neither distorts nor enhances the intended meaning of the sentences in which it occurs. The same might often be said of the use of literally in its earlier sense “actually”: The garrison was literally wiped out: no one survived.

Ahh, Lol! I love this post! I suppose that would make me a " smart a** " would you say "literally" in my case? Ha ha! Sometimes you just have to laugh and take life a little less seriously!
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I feel the burn and i've only been doing it for 3 minutes! :cry:

Thanks for this tip! :flowerforyou:
  • sohi_firefly
    Options
    bump
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    thanks for the post - been trying to work on this but good to know that it works in the long run :)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I feel the burn and i've only been doing it for 3 minutes! :cry:

Thanks for this tip! :flowerforyou:

You are so welcomed. What I've discovered this week is to try just pulling it in just a bit....instead of full tilt. Doing it this way, I still am tucking it in, but it's not as hard and yet I still really feel it too.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Bumping for a reminder for myself--LOVE the wee bit at a time, I'm definitely feeling and seeing a difference too :love:
  • fonitoni
    fonitoni Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    just posting because i needed another reminder to do this- I did it for a bit and now am slacking
  • Toshiana123
    Options
    This definitely works! I used to model and this is what they told us to do and now it just comes naturally. You're telling them right...good advice!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!