What Book Are You Reading?

Options

Replies

• PSUgrl921
    PSUgrl921 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Right now I am reading Pathologies of Power by Paul Farmer. It's a real eye-opener to say the least about poverty and structural violence.

For those of you who have mentioned the Twilight series those books are my favorite of all time! They are incredible reads and I have read the series twice since my friend introduced them to me in the fall.

My other favorite book is Scribbler of Dreams. It's a kind of modern Romeo and Juliet in which no one dies. It's a quick read. Usually takes me a day ( I read it at least 3 times a year. It's great for a rainy, "do nothing" day)
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'm reading Upon This Mountain - The Best of Dr. Tom Malone. Compiled by Dr. Shelton Smith.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    OK, that's it, I'm spending way too much time on this website! It is addicting. I'm going to start reading a book NOW.:laugh: And it is.......... tada............ Three Men in a Boat (Jerome)
  • beep
    Options
    OMgosh, this is the funniest book :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (reminds me somewhat of my hypochondriac husband, who thinks he has every latest illness that comes around). If you want a good laugh, read the first chapter at: http://www.forgottenfutures.com/game/boat/boat.htm
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    try the curious incident of the dog in the night-time.
  • beep
    Options
    I don't want to read ahead and spoil the book.... i'm in chapter 2 laughing my head off...
  • uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options
    The World Without Us by Alan Weisman (this is an eye opening book about what we're doing to the Earth. I've already changed about 3 things in my life as a result of this book and I'm not even half way done yet)

and

The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World by A. J. Jacobs (funny little stories about this guy who's reading the encyclopedia britanica from A to Z)
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I wish I liked to read!!! :sad: :sad: :sad:

:heart: KB
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    If you would like a historic, romantic, action adventure, epic series to completely fall in love with...I have one for you! The books are by Diana Gabaldon, and, although I don't know if the actual series has a name, the first book is called "Outlander". Enjoy! :flowerforyou:

I love that series! My friend got me hooked on them! We're half in love with Jamie :heart: :blushing:

Right now I'm reading the Clan of the Cave Bear series (again - although it's been a while). I just finished Clan of the Cave Bear and am ready to start Valley of the Horses. Auel is the last name of the author I believe. Set in pre-historic earth. Love historical fiction of about any kind!
  • adore217
    adore217 Posts: 33
    Options
    Dear John - by Nicholas Sparks. He also wrote 'Message In A Bottle' and 'The Notebook" which were made into movies. Read most of his book and love everyone so far. I'm also reading "Becoming A Better You" by Joel Osteen.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Huff. It examines Taoism in terms of Winnie the Pooh...doesn't seem possible, but the Tao is so simple that it makes perfect sense! It's a fun read too.
  • beep
    Options
    I wish I liked to read!!! :sad: :sad: :sad:

:heart: KB

Maybe you should start slowly.... try putting a book in your purse and carrying it around for a few weeks..... take it out a few times and look at it..... then when you have nothing to do because you are sitting and waiting for an appointment, get it out and read the first page... if it's a good book, you will have to go on to the second page, and voila you are reading and enjoying it :wink:
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I read way too much...my GPA shows that I'd rather read than study but...
    Right now I'm reading Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
    Its really interesting. Its based on the love affair of Frank Lloyd Wright, the "founder" of American architecture.

I am reading a couple of others when I leave this one on my bed side table. ..yeah, i'm one of those.

I'm LOVING the ideas for books. I think next I'm reading Twilight. I've heard so many good things about it so I'm excited!
  • beep
    Options
    I read way too much...my GPA shows that I'd rather read than study but...
    Right now I'm reading Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
    Its really interesting. Its based on the love affair of Frank Lloyd Wright, the "founder" of American architecture.

I am reading a couple of others when I leave this one on my bed side table. ..yeah, i'm one of those.

I'm LOVING the ideas for books. I think next I'm reading Twilight. I've heard so many good things about it so I'm excited!

So many have said how good Twilight is, but I'm having trouble with the whole vampire book type thing. Just doesn't interest me. I find I go through genre phases. Thank God I left the Harlequin romance genre very early; then went on to fantasy (Sword of Shanara, Ring Trilogy), then onto Scifi (Heinlein, Asimov), Mystery (Agatha Christie); then onto spy novels (Le Carre, Ludlum), then self improvement (Love Languages, among many others), Adventure (Clive Cussler). And that's not even including the classics that I read all the time in between the others. But, just can't get interested in anything to do with vampires.... ghosts, ghouls, demons, hauntings, etc.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    I love all types of books but I'm like you Beth...I go through phases...

I went through my Anne Rice phase and I will say I enjoyed "the" movie too...brad pitt and the then sane (sort of:ohwell: ) Tom Cruise....twas quite good!

now I'm into mystery...just finished all of Denis Lehane's dark, Bostonish based books....the newest movie made from one of his is that Gone Baby Gone flick...but I haven't seen it ...the book had me in tears over one part of days...couldn't go on really bad...but he's a local author and he writes about my home town and the surrounding area and I dig his style....other's you may have heard of Mystic River, (book was amazing!) Darkness Take My Hand...scary!!!!!! anyone remember those rumors of clowns in vans stealing kids....*shiver!*

Now I'm into more mellow feel good books, I told you about the book Eye Contact by Cammie McGovern...AMAZING and ten thumbs up!....its sad but so uplifting and gives an amazing insight to lives like the one I live...very touching!

as for horrors...:noway: heck no! lol

hugs!
    ali
  • beep
    Options
    I love all types of books but I'm like you Beth...I go through phases...

I went through my Anne Rice phase and I will say I enjoyed "the" movie too...brad pitt and the then sane (sort of:ohwell: ) Tom Cruise....twas quite good!

now I'm into mystery...just finished all of Denis Lehane's dark, Bostonish based books....the newest movie made from one of his is that Gone Baby Gone flick...but I haven't seen it ...the book had me in tears over one part of days...couldn't go on really bad...but he's a local author and he writes about my home town and the surrounding area and I dig his style....other's you may have heard of Mystic River, (book was amazing!) Darkness Take My Hand...scary!!!!!! anyone remember those rumors of clowns in vans stealing kids....*shiver!*

Now I'm into more mellow feel good books, I told you about the book Eye Contact by Cammie McGovern...AMAZING and ten thumbs up!....its sad but so uplifting and gives an amazing insight to lives like the one I live...very touching!

as for horrors...:noway: heck no! lol

hugs!
    ali

I do have to fight depression every so often, so I do try to read things that are uplifting, exciting and funny. I have read so many books to my kids, and I always start crying in the touching parts and can't keep going :laugh: Anne of Green Gables, Little Women..... you name it, if it has orphans or abused children (David Copperfield) I'ma cryin
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Right now I am reading "Love the one your with" by Emily Giffin.... AWSOME so far.. she also wrote...
    "Something Blue" "Something Borrowed" and "Baby Proff" This is her fourth and i love every one of them....
  • wagsgirls
    wagsgirls Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Tuesdays with Morrie

by Mitch Albom
    is that the first one of his that you read? that is the only one of his that i have not read. the other 2 were good though!
  • beep
    Options
    Tuesdays with Morrie

by Mitch Albom
    is that the first one of his that you read? that is the only one of his that i have not read. the other 2 were good though!

I just read an excerpt of that. What a book! It definitely goes on the list to read this summer.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I'm an obessive reader - I always have at least 5 books checked out from my library and read about 2-3 books a week.

A couple of the recent books I've read that really touched me are:

The Road - Cormac McCarthy (this is a dark book - it was hard to read some sections due to the graphic nature of this book, but amazing visuals, just amazing)

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini (sad, but ends well - very touching)

Transister Radio - Chris Bohjalian (this book deals with the question if love can transcend gender - very thought provoking. He also wrote Midwives and The Double Bind - fabulous author)

I love anything by Pearl Buck (The Good Earth, Peony, Pavillon of Women, etc.), Anne Tyler (Ladder of Years, Saint Maybe, Breathing Lessons), Barbara Kingsolver (Animal Dreams, Prodigal Summer).

I did not like "Eat, Love, Pray" - I didn't find the depth I thought it would have.

I have heard good things about "Three Cups of Tea" (this is non-fiction), and am waiting for it to show up at my library (I have to borrow books because I would be broke if I bought them!!)