iPhone 5 v. Samsung Galaxy III

Options
1235»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'd go S3, as a tech guy I can tell you pound for pound the Galaxy kills the iphone. A few things most people left out of this discussion are. The iphones new charger/adapter is chipped so 3rd party vendors cannot produce them yet which means when you need another one you will drop $30 or more for an apple certified one, yet another cash grab trick from Apple. The battery is not swappable but the phone is 4G, and the screen is bigger which equals faster battery drain with no way to combat it effectivly except for carrying your $30 Apple charger around with you. Apple's turn by turn Google killing maps are so inaccurate and poorly approached Apple is now conceding and working to allow google maps onto their phones. The super cool new ear buds are only useful when dry, if you use them to run/workout/ect they will constantly fall out due to the super glossy grippless finish. Apple phone cameras still do not shoot in true 1080p hd, like their annoying music files they beat to their own drum which mean your pictures/video will not be full screen on any product aside from Apple based one. Thats just the basics
    I have those "super cool new earbuds" and I can confirm that they do not fall out of my ears when I'm working out, when I'm at work for a full shift, when I'm sweating while running, or even when laying down bench pressing. Also, the iPhone 5 has outperformed every smart phone except the Droid RAZR in every battery life test I've seen.
  • Blown_Away1
    Blown_Away1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have the SIII and love it!!!
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I went from a Droid 2 to the iPhone 4S and I cannot wait until I'm up for a new phone in September so I can get the Galaxy III. Droids have functionality that the iPhone just doesn't. Although I've been thrilled with the fact that the iPhone functions seamlessly, I feel like I'm missing out on a lot because of the things I could do in my Droid that I can't now in my iPhone.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Or wait for the Galaxy S IV.

I'm a Droid fan. Razr Maxx now. When I had a catastrophic impact with a tile floor, the SIMM card transferred all my apps to the replacement phone. I didn't have to reinstall any apps from PLAY, just a few from my Amazon cloud.
    Android over fruit any day. :bigsmile:
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S-IV-might-feature-quad-core-Exynos-5450-processor_id36037

Cool. I have a component designed into the GS4. Ship schedule jives with the dates in the article.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    And, yes, I know ... I am a dinosaur for using a Blackberry! LOL ... as far as apps and general "flashiness", it's pretty lame. But man it is a well built, durable phone.

I dropped my Blackberry Storm in a running safety shower (I'm a chemist), and that b!+ch turned right back on and worked. Crazy.

I also dropped my HTC Thunderbolt off of my bicycle while going down a hill at 25mph onto pavement. It also turned right back on and functioned perfectly for another 18 months.

I've seen iPhones shatter when dropped onto a table. Yeah, not for me.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    And, yes, I know ... I am a dinosaur for using a Blackberry! LOL ... as far as apps and general "flashiness", it's pretty lame. But man it is a well built, durable phone.

I dropped my Blackberry Storm in a running safety shower (I'm a chemist), and that b!+ch turned right back on and worked. Crazy.

I also dropped my HTC Thunderbolt off of my bicycle while going down a hill at 25mph onto pavement. It also turned right back on and functioned perfectly for another 18 months.

You have? I'd love to see that, as I've seen iphones dropped down flights of stairs with no damage. They are ridiculously durable.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

You have? I'd love to see that, as I've seen iphones dropped down flights of stairs with no damage. They are ridiculously durable.

Yup, my sisters.
  • shimewazaMan
    Options

Yeah ... despite all the flack that Blackberries get for being behind the times, I gotta give them props for having well-builtm durable phones. I am VERY HARD on my phones and my BlackBerry has made it through 3 years of bangs, drops, and being handled by kids without giving me a single problem. I am actually a bit sad to switch, but as I use my phone more and more as an organization tool and for access the web, the tiny screen (even on my Torch - the screen is small in comparison to other smart phones), really is becoming more and more of a limiting factor. It also isn't the quickest phone.
  • shimewazaMan
    Options

Yep ... I have never had an iPhone so I cannot say anything bad about them. But I have several colleagues who have iPhones with shattered faces from a single drop. So that is the only bad impression I've had of them. However, in defense of iPhones, I did recently see a test where the iPhone 5 fared much better in a drop test than the S3. So, who know. I guess it really does come down to personal preference.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options

Blackberry nerd here too :blushing:
  • shimewazaMan
    Options

Blackberry nerd here too :blushing:
    Aw ... I always have a soft spot for fellow BB nerds!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

Yep ... I have never had an iPhone so I cannot say anything bad about them. But I have several colleagues who have iPhones with shattered faces from a single drop. So that is the only bad impression I've had of them. However, in defense of iPhones, I did recently see a test where the iPhone 5 fared much better in a drop test than the S3. So, who know. I guess it really does come down to personal preference.

Even so, I can buy insurance through Verizon on any phone but the iPhone. Which, given my history, you can bet I do. Apple has their heads up their @$$es though and will only let you buy much more expensive insurance through them, and you can only use it once. So, even if iPhones were better in every way (which I must say I don't agree with), I will stay away from their snooty little services because I'm a walking disaster on phones.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

There was an iPhone dropped by somoene skydiving - the phone lived to tell the tale with with only a shattered screen!

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/mobile/07/18/iphone.skydive/index.html
  • 78Octane
    Options
    Went from an iPhone 4S to Samsung GSIII and hands down, Samsung blows Apple away on this one. For years, Apple ruled the smartphone world, but Samsung really impressed me with this phone. Go with the Galaxy SIII, you won't regret it. It does take some getting used to, but they have the same major apps as apple and you can even upload your entire music library to google music cloud and listen from there without taking up memory on your phone. There really is not one thing that Apple has that makes the Galaxy inferior.
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I went from an iPhone 3, to an iPhone 4, to a Galaxy S3. The Galaxy blows the iPhone away in just about every conceivable way except for battery life. It is a small trade-off to me for such an immensely more capable phone. It only makes sense it burns more juice when it does so much more.
  • Flyersteve18
    Flyersteve18 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Galaxy S3... and if you're into tech like me, you can even root it and play around with different builds and customize virtually every aspect of the phone to your liking. :D

I have the Samsung Galaxy Nexus though, but my friend has the S3. Also, if you want a bigger screen and a stylus, go check out the Note II, that thing is a beast!
  • vice350z
    vice350z Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Galaxy Note FTW...LOVE my phone. If I happen to pick up my iPhone 4 I can't help but laugh at how comically small the screen is.

Note 2 is out with a .2" bigger screen than the Note but its now 16:9 ratio vs the Note's 16:10...i dont like the narrow screen look of it.