Working out in Flip Flops

Options

Replies

• WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    My gym is letting me do my work outs barefoot temporarily (it's a very small gym) only because I broke a toe in two places (not at the gym, it was a skydiving shark attack) and my trainer couldn't stand to see the look on my face when I put shoes on and tried to move with a shoe on. As soon as I can have a shoe on my foot with minimal pain, the shoes go back on as far as I'm concerned.
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it, because it sounds like an accident waiting to happen, but to each their own.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I would think some kind of safety issue. Dropping a plate on his bare foot or a toe getting caught in a moving part. Shoes keep your toes safe. Let's not even talk about the germs < cringe >

My thoughts exactly
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I workout barefoot at home, but if I did go to a gym, I would use VFF's. Not sure your average shoe is going to offer you much protection from dropping a weight on your foot, and steel toe boots seem impractical.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I lift at home -- barefoot.

Me too. Sneakers won't really help that much if you drop a plate on your foot anyway. I wouldn't do it at the gym though. I'd be afraid of athlete's foot.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it, because it sounds like an accident waiting to happen, but to each their own.

Yes. If i worked out in flip flops, I would proceed to drop a barbell on my feet, then trip over the flip flops and face plant.

And the feet near the face? Ew.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing my Vibrams for lifting the last two weeks and it is amazing how much it has improved my balance and consequently, form. I understand the draw, but would complain to the staff about someone going truly barefoot. That is a lot of germs that I'd rather not be passed around. This is a public place not the privacy of your own home.

And really, shoes do NOT protect you from falling weights or moving parts unless you are wearing steel toes, which isn't the typical gym wear. As a Vibrams wearer, I also don't buy into the whole "your foot NEEDS the support" deal either, my back pain and posture are a million times improved since switching to minimalist shoes.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I see a guy in the weight room lifting pretty heavy wearing crocs...lol I don't care what he wears, but :laugh: it doesn't look very manly while lifting those big heavy weights!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'd just be proud that I dead-lift heavier than a guy but also pretty icked out.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I'd just be proud that I dead-lift heavier than a guy but also pretty icked out.

Ahaha okay I must admit I thought that too.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I wear sandals with black socks.. I think it gives a "euro" feel to the gym. LOL
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I take my shoes off to squat, I leave my socks on though.
  • chsmith79
    chsmith79 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I take my shoes off to squat, I leave my socks on though.
    ^^^^This and Deadlift^^^^
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I lift at home -- barefoot.

Me too. Sneakers won't really help that much if you drop a plate on your foot anyway. I wouldn't do it at the gym though. I'd be afraid of athlete's foot.

When I worked out at home I lifted barefoot with that same thought process. Weight on the toe ain't gonna matter much unless you're in boots of some sort. I can't think of a time when I dropped a plate at all. Been a couple times I hopped out of the way after dropping a 2.5 or a 5 lb plate though.

I wouldn't worry too much about the germs. The skin on your feet is probably the toughest on the body and it's designed to be that way. I'd be more afraid of athletes foot and germs in the locker room.

That being said. I'd never lift barefoot in a public place because there are social norms and while I've been called "that guy" about some things. I'm not "that guy" in the gym.
  • Lillyeatslilies
    Options
    I don't do anything at the gym without shoes. It's a place with a lot of foot traffic and can be hazardous. If I'm at home that's a different story but at the gym, I'm not the only person affected by my stinky feet.
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    As someone who has had warts on the bottoms of both feet (treatments needed to be aggressive and progressed to surgery to remove them)...I would definitely say something to the management at the gym. That's a health issue (he can pick something up, or leave it behind on the equipment - fungus, bacteria, etc, etc that can be transmitted to someone else's hand, leg, whatever). Also, if he drops that barbell on his foot, he's likely to have severe injuries, and the gym can be liable even though he made that decision. I know at our gym, we actually have a dress code we have to follow - footwear MUST be athletic shoes. For me, I wear running shoes when I work out to give me the most support possible when I'm working out.
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Agreed, I always wear cross trainers or running shoes when I'm at the gym. If I'm working out at home, I'm barefoot since I workout on carpet.
  • Eric53066
    Eric53066 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    ...because I broke a toe in two places (not at the gym, it was a skydiving shark attack)...

Holy cow, if I ever saw sharks skydiving, I'd know we were in for it...

Please tell me they didn't have lasers on their heads too!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I see a guy in the weight room lifting pretty heavy wearing crocs...lol I don't care what he wears, but :laugh: it doesn't look very manly while lifting those big heavy weights!! :laugh: :laugh:

Crocs are pretty freaking comfortable..
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I lift at home, and wear sneakers because, well...my garage floor is dirty and who knows what is on there, lol.

To the lifters who go barefoot/socks only, is there a reason? Does it feel better, make it easier, etc?