Foods that are sooo bad in small ammounts

Options

Replies

• junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily avoid those foods - I have been eating cleaner for the most part, but if I am craving chocolate, I will have some.

the important thing to keep in mind is your portions. I would have eaten only one of the chocolates in your example. Its all about moderation and self control that will last you a lifetime.
  • ardorrequiem
    Options
    I don't avoid any particular food. The moment you tell yourself you can't have something is the moment you want it the most. ardorrequiem.tumblr.com
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Portion control, moderation, and exercise..That's all you need. I eat healthy but I also allow myself treats every now and then. There are just some things I refuse to give up lol
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I can appreciate the point he is making and I am surprised by the responses here. Most of us on here mindlessly eat small things or at least have in the past. We walk pass our coworkers candy dish and take one or two peices (there is no nutrition label available), we grab a couple of chips, we eat the last chicken nugget off our kid's plates. Then we do the same thing the next day. It adds up: the small things. We think "one piece" will not hurt. Also, for people saying he doesn't have self control, I think most of us don't or we wouldn't be on here trying to lose weight. This is why MFP is helping us, we either don't have as much self control as we would like or we overeat 'small' things as the OP is pointing out. If some of you are naturally perfect, good for you. But don't judge and be rude. We are supposed to be helping each other.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I can appreciate the point he is making and I am surprised by the responses here. Most of us on here mindlessly eat small things or at least have in the past. We walk pass our coworkers candy dish and take one or two peices (there is no nutrition label available), we grab a couple of chips, we eat the last chicken nugget off our kid's plates. Then we do the same thing the next day. It adds up: the small things. We think "one piece" will not hurt. Also, for people saying he doesn't have self control, I think most of us don't or we wouldn't be on here trying to lose weight. This is why MFP is helping us, we either don't have as much self control as we would like or we overeat 'small' things as the OP is pointing out. If some of you are naturally perfect, good for you. But don't judge and be rude. We are supposed to be helping each other.

Thank you - exactly the point I was making
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Sure, if you ate a box of chocolate every day for a year without cutting back somewhere else in your diet you would gain weight (or slow your weight loss if still at a deficit). That isn't "sooo bad in small amounts" though, that is a LOT OF CHOCOLATE. If you ate one of those pieces a day in the same amount of time, you cut back your gain/slowed loss by 600%. That is a small amount. Or if you eat a whole box of them once a month, you cut back by 4000%. Also what I would consider a small amount.
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Ya - I read it as the stuff that is easily forgotten after a few minutes adds up over the long term. Maybe you forget to log it because it was so paltry.
    I didn't get AT ALL that this was a bait thread or that it was an attack on anyone.
    I regularly forget little things... which is why I try to regularly eat slightly less that my calories allowed for the day... Between that and not measuring every food, I give myself some fudge room.
    Not room for fudge, though. :wink:
  • 1sophiesophie
    1sophiesophie Posts: 67 Member
    Options

And how is takeaway pizza an entire day's worth of calories? I eat two slices and some breadsticks and come in less then 800 cals. Since I eat 1600 a day (give or take) to lose easily, I can fit it in if I so choose. Are you eating the whole dang pizza or something?

Yes - it used to be "normal" in our household to order a pizza each and eat it all. That's the point I was making...it is stupid, but it is an easy habit to get into until you realise that the whole thing is 1600 calories (for a medium pizza) - i.e. practically a whole day of calories for a 5ft5 woman, under 140lbs. It suddenly makes the pleasure of eating it a complete turn-off.

This sounds distinctly like an issue of "moderation." You're saying that knowing a full pizza is lots of calories is a turn off from eating it? A 2 lb pork roast is about 1200-1400 calories, but you're not going to say, "I'm not going to eat this protein rich, clean food" because of the TOTAL amount of calories, are you?

You're right, I'm not going to say that.
  • changing_4_me
    changing_4_me Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    6 sweets alot. pfft, amateur.

^ that lol!!! valentine's is horrid for me....especially if im alone even with a boyfriend (who works 25/8 and never has time for anything else!!!:noway: :grumble: :explode: :sad: )...chocolates don't last long in this household :drinker:

My husband had crazy hours as well. Valentine's.day isn't do bad for us. We don't do the chocolate thing since he knows I'm not a fan but we do celebrate it when we can if he's working on the actually day.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Why not just enjoy one or 2 a day for 3 days. So, it seems that it is not the food that is bad. It is your lack of self control? 6 sweets is a lot all at once!

is it?! 50 sweets in one go might be a lot... i dont think 6 is!

Well at a calorie load of 75 each, I guess we have different versions of what a lot is. If I'm going to do 450 calories, it's probably going to be in something more substantial and nutrient dense than candies. That's why I'd say one or 2, fine. 6? Too much.
  • geekpryncess
    geekpryncess Posts: 118 Member
    Options

I agree.
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    6 sweets alot. pfft, amateur.

^^HAHA! This.

Christmas is my weakness. My mom makes amazing cookies. -_- Six is average on a light day. XD This year is about moderation, but in the past... h'oh boy...
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I see where you are going with this! Thats how I gained all my weight in the first place... Never ate a lot of bad stuff, just ate a little bit of bad stuff every day, like a hand full of crisps, of two glasses of juice, a bowl of pasta! Added up and WHAM! 10kg's overweight! Now that I don't eat the nice stuff, I lose weight, I only have a treat every once in a while!

Yup, it just sneaks up on you! Happened to me too, especially during pregnancy.
  • geekpryncess
    geekpryncess Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I see where you are going with this! Thats how I gained all my weight in the first place... Never ate a lot of bad stuff, just ate a little bit of bad stuff every day, like a hand full of crisps, of two glasses of juice, a bowl of pasta! Added up and WHAM! 10kg's overweight! Now that I don't eat the nice stuff, I lose weight, I only have a treat every once in a while!

Yup, it just sneaks up on you! Happened to me too, especially during pregnancy.

It definitely adds up! Since I've been mindful of logging my calories I've learned things like that bowl of cereal I used to have, was really the equivalent of 2 bowls...etc. Portion size is so messed up in this country. All along I never thought I ate that badly, or too much. But learning what actual portions are, really opened my eyes to how many extra calories I was consuming without thinking.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Agreed. This is an overreaction to basically saying "It's so easy to gain weight if you just overeat by a bit every day." It was just kind of a little epiphany the OP had.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Six chocolates = nothing! Lol. I just bought some salted caramel ice cream.....oh my it's so good. But the cals - 350 for a half cup! Wow. That's higher than a lot. But I think this is worth it for a treat!
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    What gets me is the serving size on a lot of things - they are so small to make it seem like you can eat 'whatever' it is only 120 cals - but then you see there are 6 servings in the pack!

This bugs me so much
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I love food too much to have any "forbidden food".

That said, I think trash food like McD or BK or donuts is gross, so I don't WANT to eat them.
    But if I did, I would, and I'd count the calories, and if needed, I'd do an extra hour of exercise that day.
  • lesnwhisper
    Options

well said.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Er, did you not see his response to people pointing out that learning moderation and to space things out to fit calorie goals is healthy? He literally called people "whiney fails" who have successfully followed that approach. He made gross assumptions. Plus, you did too, because what YOU have done in the past does not equal "most of us."