Splenda has 4 calories a packet

Options

Replies

• felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I would be more concerned with the fact that Splenda will kill you...

seriously, in the middle of the night...it will sneak up to your bed and suffocate you with your teady bear.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I count that I used the packet, even though it shows as 0 calories on here, just to make myself realize that it went into my system. I wouldn't have used it at all if the coffee place I got my iced tea from this morning offered anything else...no real sugar, no sugar in the raw, not even sweet n low...you get splenda or NOTHING.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It's true. I can't wait until you find out about the cooking spray scam :)

Damn straight. I have no idea how many calories I'm actually spraying on my popcorn. But the fake butter flavor will kill me anyway.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    So then 875 packets will make you gain a pound. How many of these do you eat in a day, month, year?
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The caloric content of splenda should be fairly obvious to anyone who's ever noticed that 1 packet also contains 1g of carbs (which is approx. 4 calories).
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I do think it's important to know that anything with less than 5 calories a serving can be labeled as zero calories, as someone stated above. Thus, cooking spray (read the ingredients: usually it's the oil it claims to be and therefore MUST have calories) is 'zero' calories for 1/8 second of spray (something crazy like that). But in actuality, if you're spraying for longer, the calories can add up! Just something to keep in mind and another reason to find natural alternatives to use less of.

Why agave is a somewhat healthier alternative:

"Agave offers no advantage in terms of caloric content: about 16 calories per teaspoon, the same as table sugar. But the syrup's chemical makeup can differ significantly from that of other sweeteners. Whereas table sugar is composed of sucrose, which is broken down to yield half fructose and half glucose, agave can contain up to 90% fructose, Shelke says. That increase in fructose means -- theoretically, at least -- that agave nectar doesn't result in the same dangerous spikes in blood glucose that other sweeteners can cause in diabetics" -Kantha Shelke, a food chemist specializing in natural foods
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I use it in my coffee every morning, so I log it. (I'm ocd like that) The database shows zero calories but 1g of carbs. I don't think it would create a problem, unless you were consuming like a cup of it a day or something.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    How many kilograms is that?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

O.M.G. I just died.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    *falls over dead*

Best post of the day.

/thread
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    any substitute has no effect on a diet I wouldnt worry about it there are no calories in anything synthetic or processed
  • lharvey2797
    lharvey2797 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    So why doesn't MFP list it in the Database as 4 calories? I use splenda in my coffee every morning and it counts it as "0" calories!!
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I count everything! Negligible or not! a calorie is a calorie is a calorie .. I see people logging only their food .. and then I see 0 water intake .. and nothing else to drink all day .. not even a plain black coffee.

(can't help but wonder if they're not counting that soda .. or sparkling water with 15 calories or whatever) Alcohol has tons of calories too .. I can't imagine people not drinking anything at all! lol
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Heh \m/
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I am waiting for someone to mention the calories in ummmmmm you know...
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    So then 875 packets will make you gain a pound. How many of these do you eat in a day, month, year?

^^
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I am waiting for someone to mention the calories in ummmmmm you know...

with that, it's more the sodium than the cals :wink:

Dont forget the protein!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I burn 4 calories logging it