Odd Foods You Loved As A Kid

Options

Replies

• ChrissME
    ChrissME Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I loved fried bologna sanwhiches :glasses:

OMG, I remember those! Are you from Western PA??
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    The strangest thing I used to eat as a kid was a fried mashed potato sandwich with loads of ketchup on it!! Where I'm from, its common to fry up your mash the day after having a roast dinner so you get a nice crispy coating on the top, and I discovered this was lovely between 2 slices of bread, yum! Would still eat it now actually!
  • MED2012COLORADO
    Options

YES I AM!! :laugh: Thats way to funny you knew that.
  • Tenster
    Tenster Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Tomato ketchup sandwiches
  • hugsee
    hugsee Posts: 36
    Options
    The strangest thing I used to eat as a kid was a fried mashed potato sandwich with loads of ketchup on it!! Where I'm from, its common to fry up your mash the day after having a roast dinner so you get a nice crispy coating on the top, and I discovered this was lovely between 2 slices of bread, yum! Would still eat it now actually!

and bubble and squeek on bread nom nom nom

my favourite sandwich filler was ham and peanut butter will still eat it now
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options

Did that in Illinois as well.
  • ChrissME
    ChrissME Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Had them every Saturday. Big thick slices on spongy Town Talk bread. I'm from Pittsburgh...go STEELERS!
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I used to eat ketchup sandwiches.. Which was basically just ketchup and bread.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    raw beef and butter. I used to get in trouble all the time for getting into the fridge and getting that. My mom was convinced that I would die if I ate raw meat, but I kept doing it anyway. I'm not sure why I craved it so much.

I remember sneaking slices of raw bacon and eating it. Just tasted better to me eating it raw. Still like my steaks bloody and mooing at me....yum! Also, I used to eat kipper snacks and liverwurst as a kid.

Raw/rare beef (especially if my mom was making meatballs/meatloaf) and raw bacon for me, too! Love my steaks rare. Gave up all meat for a while after taking microbiology courses, but I've come to my senses since then. Still haven't been killed by a food-borne illness!
  • qnofharts
    Options
    I loved taking shredded mozzerella cheese and chocolate chips and mixing it together. then i'd just eat it with my hands. WEIRD!
  • audrine
    Options
    While the other kids ate Lucky Charms and Cocoa Puffs and those kind of sugary cereal for breakfast, my favorites were always All-Bran Originals... I ate them because I liked the taste (didn't know anything about fiber when I was 5)! I still eat that today almost daily for breakfast.

I also prefered the lemon-flavored lollipops and candy. Never liked the "red" candy everybody else liked best and fought over.
  • MED2012COLORADO
    Options

Had them every Saturday. Big thick slices on spongy Town Talk bread. I'm from Pittsburgh...go STEELERS!
    From Erie Pa . Sometimes i would pile on potato chips put the top piece of bread on and smash it down and munch away. :bigsmile:
  • _Calvin_
    _Calvin_ Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I loved to let a brick of Philly Cream Cheese soften for a few minutes before taking Lay's Potato Chips and slicing sections of the cheese off and eating it. The saltiness of the chips went so well with the creaminess of the cheese. I would eat a whole brick and half a bag of chips per sitting. I almost had a heart attack, figuratively and literally, when I log that snack on MFP the first time. Now I still eat it but just portion it out better.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    As a kids my sister and I drank the juice out of pickle or olive jars...Mom would get so mad
    Ate toasted butter, cinnamon and brown sugar sandwiches
    Ate sandwiches of ketchup, relish, mustard, lays plain chips and sliced olives
    Ate raw potato slices soaked in vinegar with salt and pepper
    Ate fried egg/balogna sandwiches with mustard.
    cucumbers/tomatoes dipped in ketchup
    :sick:
    we were weird.....lol Though I still get a craving from brown sugar toast now and then
  • letobot
    letobot Posts: 205
    Options
    cream cheese sandwiches
  • design_cowgirl
    design_cowgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I remember eating bologna and ketchup sandwiches......gross! lol
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    raw potatoes jus peeled...

Yes! So good! I still eat that, though.

Peanut butter and sweet pickle sandwiches. ...though, I still eat those.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I used to eat bouillon cubes like hard candy, but not very often because my dad would get mad at me. I tried it once a few years ago, just for nostalgia's sake, and I about ralphed.

I had a friend who would come over after school and drink the olive juice out of our green olive jar. Only on rare occasions did she actually eat any olives, which REALLY p***ed off my dad. Ha ha. She also liked to dunk Club crackers into chocolate pudding. THAT was magnificent.
  • catneon
    catneon Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Plain white toast with butter ...dipped in ketchup yummm! I still have it about once a year.
    Apparently when I was small at my family's New Year gatherings they would always have steak I wouldn't eat the meat I would only have the fried fat from the steak.....gross!!! and eat all the olive condiments (still love olives today) go figure I was skin and bones back then..!
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Canned sardines. Yuck! You couldn't get me to eat them now. Oh, and Spam. I can't even believe my parents bought that stuff. I can't believe I ate it!