• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    6 sweets is a lot all at once!

no, it's not. :laugh:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Why not just enjoy one or 2 a day for 3 days. So, it seems that it is not the food that is bad. It is your lack of self control? 6 sweets is a lot all at once!

is it?! 50 sweets in one go might be a lot... i dont think 6 is!

I can inhale a bag of halloween candy in one evening.. 2800 calories, and then go get one for the next night. If I let myself. 6 is nothing.
  • laura_lynn66
    Options
    omg ....life really is like a box of chocolates.."you never know what you're gonna get"
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    We need lithium in the ground water.
  • RamoZimm
    RamoZimm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I can appreciate the point he is making and I am surprised by the responses here. Most of us on here mindlessly eat small things or at least have in the past. We walk pass our coworkers candy dish and take one or two peices (there is no nutrition label available), we grab a couple of chips, we eat the last chicken nugget off our kid's plates. Then we do the same thing the next day. It adds up: the small things. We think "one piece" will not hurt. Also, for people saying he doesn't have self control, I think most of us don't or we wouldn't be on here trying to lose weight. This is why MFP is helping us, we either don't have as much self control as we would like or we overeat 'small' things as the OP is pointing out. If some of you are naturally perfect, good for you. But don't judge and be rude. We are supposed to be helping each other.

This. Logging every morsel that passes my lips makes me more mindful of what I choose on a daily basis. I think he was just expressing how awareness of the small things can make a big difference.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    omg ....life really is like a box of chocolates.."you never know what you're gonna get"

^^^that's funny
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

This made me think of a large amount of whiney posts on MFP where people complain that despite rigorously following diet x, y, or z or just plain calorie counting they have lost no weight and how this can only be for unfair reasons such as metabolism, illness or genetics. I always think .. no you ate too much!!! But the calories in this incredibly small random snack did make me, someone who has largely won the battle with food addiction and can have a tendency to somewhat look down on the struggling as any reformed smoker, junkie, eater, etc often does (I never warranted I was perfect or of particularly exemplary character at any point) ... It really makes you think what a fine balancing act all this is ... even if you just overate by that level a couple of times a week, let alone the odd calorie stacked takeaway its still a stone in a year (All though I do appreciate a takeaway can be fine in moderation and worked into your calories along with all other snack food - although you will make the job harder because eating lower carb/ fat food makes it easier to stick to your calorie goal)

^ This is not being patronizing. This makes perfect and total sense. It's not what you said initially, which is why people (including myself) bristled at your "Ha, thin people would say they'd eat it all, those that say go ahead and eat are whiney fails!"

See how different those are? Not everyone is trolling when they disagree with you, or point out that your intent =/= your words. But I can sure appreciate that you took the time to look at what you HAD said and reword it appropriately... without insulting or making big assumptions about people saying opposite of you.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    To the OP, thanks for your clarifying detailed post and my apologies that my self control comment was taken as insulting. Your OP did strike a nerve with me for sure. I have a real issue with labeling foods "good" or "bad".

I am probably somewhat didactic about this. I have seen so many posts that demonize foods when in actuality, the foods are amoral by definition. The value judgement comes in how we view them and consume them. Foods are nutrient dense or not. Calorie dense or not. But they are not good or bad except in the context of what someone is trying to achieve with their eating plan.

Your point that just eating things without mindfulness can lead to weight gain is a valid one. Especially with food like those small sweets where the volume to caloric density ration is very decieving.
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Since we're stumbling into the absurd here at this point, I'll just mention that in places where people speak english english, they call it take away, but here in 'Murika, we call it carry out.
    This has been a public service announcement.
    Now back to regular programming.

PS: Somebody needs to send me some of these exotic Cadbury roses things in order for me to make a clear and informed decision about who's right and who's a complete and utter angry bitter nutjob here.
  • laura_lynn66
    Options
    Since we're stumbling into the absurd here at this point, I'll just mention that in places where people speak english english, they call it take away, but here in 'Murika, we call it carry out.
    This has been a public service announcement.
    Now back to regular programming.

PS: Somebody needs to send me some of these exotic Cadbury roses things in order for me to make a clear and informed decision about who's right and who's a complete and utter angry bitter nutjob here.

Touche
  • jennahowden
    jennahowden Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just want to say that I ate a whole pizza the other night! I couldn't actually be satisfied by just two pieces. In saying that though, this was the first time in around 4 months that I ate pizza. It could be 6 months before I touch one again.
    Also the whole thing was just over 900 calories. It was a gluten free base (I can't tolerate wheat), with a little ham, mozzarella and pineapple. No sauce on the base because I'm allergic to tomato, onion and garlic.
    To me, even this whole pizza can be classed as moderation. Because I know it will be a long time before I eat it again.
    PS, I love exercise. So I don't mind working a little harder to burn it off.
    =)
    Hope that made sense!

Also, those who have the ability to avoid chocolate, you are truly amazing. IF I have a 200g block of (dark) chocolate in my house, I can make it last 2 weeks. I need something sweet every day! Even if it is just a couple of squares of chocolate. There's always room in my calories for chocolate!

Wow I said chocolate a lot in that last paragraph! LOL