THE GROUND IS LAVA ~!

Options

Replies

• ma66ie72
    ma66ie72 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    LOL!!! I do something similar! This is a great way to keep going and to push yourself a bit further.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I've never told anyone this, but I'm on kind of a stone age kick lately. When I'm walking, I pretend that I'm going to gather grains or something so I can feed my tribe through the winter, or if I want to walk briskly (I never run--blech) I pretend that the cave elder is sick and desperately needs the roots I just gathered to survive.

I'm so embarassed to have put that on the interwebs. :/

Don't be embarrased! Real Jane Auel's books, pretend to be Ayla :)
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I've never told anyone this, but I'm on kind of a stone age kick lately. When I'm walking, I pretend that I'm going to gather grains or something so I can feed my tribe through the winter, or if I want to walk briskly (I never run--blech) I pretend that the cave elder is sick and desperately needs the roots I just gathered to survive.

I'm so embarassed to have put that on the interwebs. :/

I like it! Have you ever read the Clan of the Cave Bear series?

I'm usually focused on time or distance so I'll talk myself into going another minute or getting to a certain spot. Most of the time I'm able to keep pushing past but on bad run days at least I can console myself with the fact that I met the goal. Love the lava idea and may use it myself sometime - or at least get a chuckle out of it when it comes to me. :)

I immediately thought of "Clan of the Cave Bear" when I read that!! For some reason, my mom let me read that series when I was like 11. Along with a lot of VC Andrews :noway: I have no idea what she was thinking......

Okay....just went to Amazon and bought the Kindle version. I know what I'm doing tonight!!

I've never heard of this book/series by V.C. Andrews - my all time favorite writer... My favorite book was My Sweet Audrina (the only stand alone novel that didnt have a series to follow) of course I loved the Heaven series and Flowers in the Attic.
  • Ceckersley1
    Options
    My friend has an app on her iPhone that is called zombie run, and at random times the app pretty much screams at you that zombies are running after you and want to eat your brain. She is my running buddie and its so funny that when are on a peaceful run and then she just books it like her life depends on it!
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Your lava game is a lot more interesting than mine. When I'm on the various gym "machines", I "play" with the maths, constantly setting myself mini goals until the total time is up - e.g. "I burned an average of 10 calories per minute for the last mile, if I hang on at that pace until 4.3 of those little "progress bars" on my screen have been gobbled down, then that is half of the sneakycroissant that I gobbled this morning, GONE".

See - not very interesting, but it keeps my motivation up!

I am numbers-obsessed as well and will definitely play these sorts of games when I'm on any equipment! I will set mini-goals as far as distance, time, average time, calories burnt, etc and then keep making new games once I accomplish one, on and on until my workout is finished and/or I pass out/puke/both.

The lava game is useful for outside when I don't have a big red digital number flashing in my face. :laugh:

Yep, anything to keep me staring and thinking about that display flashing every second at me.

I also cannot walk on the treadmill unless I'm singing at the top of my lungs, with radio up full blast., pretending I'm on stage and I have a big audience clapping and cheering... I've spent too long working out indoors - I could never do that outside. :-/
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I also cannot walk on the treadmill unless I'm singing at the top of my lungs, with radio up full blast., pretending I'm on stage and I have a big audience clapping and cheering... I've spent too long working out indoors - I could never do that outside. :-/

I love it. #gonnabuyatreadmillnow
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I figure I can keep going as long as this next step doesn't give me a heart attack. Survived it? Great. Next step... yup, still good. Next one... no heart attack yet, one more. Etc. But much faster in my head.

On really long runs (15 miles+) it's more work to break cadence and walk than it is to just continue shuffling on at whatever is passing for running. Inertia is my friend, but only once I get going.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Treadmill person here. I listen to music videos. Some favorites are Queen's Who Wants To Live Forever (for warmup) and Another One Bites The Dust (for walking fast). Also Michael Jackson's Thriller. I also hear the head dinosaur from The Great Journey saying, "Keep moving! Only the strong will survive!" I also have the "I can last another 5 minutes" game with myself.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    When I'm barefoot running - gotta keep running past this grinning couple or they're gonna think I'm in pain!
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    If you are ever in a park in Ohio, and you see a very tall, big guy "running" very slowly saying out loud, "Just keep running, just keep running, just keep running" in a Dori like voice......Make sure you say hello to me.

love it =)
  • ma66ie72
    ma66ie72 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

I’m so embarassed to have put that on the interwebs. :/

LOL!! Don’t be embarrassed ! I pretend all kinds of things not just when I’m trying to get through exercising! I’m sure there’s a psychiatric label for it….
  • crw72209
    crw72209 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If you are ever in a park in Ohio, and you see a very tall, big guy "running" very slowly saying out loud, "Just keep running, just keep running, just keep running" in a Dori like voice......Make sure you say hello to me.

AWESOME!
  • dadzpeach
    dadzpeach Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Here is my embarrassing game I play with myself... I really love the group Big Time Rush and I pretend that I'm running with James (the really in shape one) and that I can't stop because he will make fun of me and it will make Kendall or Carlos (depending on my mood) not want to date me anymore, or make fun of me too....

Or I dance while I run, although I think that is more in my head than actually dancing.

Last night though I was running and it was freezing (literally) and I had Pandora going on my phone, so I just started belting out songs... or fragments since I was breathing heavy... Good thing no one was around to hear that lol
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    No one feel embarassed for silly running games... In the final stretch of my run last night, I felt so exhausted and ready to give up -- but I imagined one of my particularly motivating MFP friends trotting alongside me easily, telling me not to quit. :blushing: I didn't. I made it all the way back and finished strong.

Thank you, unnamed MFP running buddy, for that extra motivation :wink:
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I had to comment because of the title.

Throwback Thursday = :happy:
  • SusannaDandana
    Options
    My dog is loose and running towards the street! (for the sprinting part of intervals)
    That's a great one and would totally work for me! Thanks!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    The app "Zombies, Run!" shows me having short bursts of speed of up to 15mph (4:00 minute mile) when my brain thinks it's in danger of becoming food.

IMAG0970.jpg
  • JessMySize
    Options
    LMAO :D
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I play the "How much longer can I run before it feels like my lungs are going to shrivel up and die and somebody will have to pick me up off of the road and bring me to the hospital" game.

I'm gonna go with this one :o
  • breeZrizi
    breeZrizi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I DO THE SAME THING!

im huffing and puffing but when i see another runner ahead i am calm and keep it moving.

as soon as theyre out of site..STOP and back to acting like im going to die