No more soda?

Options
A doc from MGH, aka Man's Greatest Hospital, aka Massachusetts General Hospital just announced on TV that a study showed that as few as 2 cans of soda per week increases you risk of pancreatic cancer by 87%.
Yet another reason to cut soda out of the diet.
*pours self a cup of unsweetened almond milk*

Replies

• dori1979
    dori1979 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I cut out diet coke almost two weeks ago and have never felt better. Stopped drinking crystal light too b/c of the aspartame. Just straight water for me after my 2 cups of coffee in the am. LOL
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    A doc from MGH, aka Man's Greatest Hospital, aka Massachusetts General Hospital just announced on TV that a study showed that as few as 2 cans of soda per week increases you risk of pancreatic cancer by 87%.

I'd reserve judgment until some solid research is released.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

This.
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

This.

How do you guys define "solid research"? It was a small study but it did pass the test of statistical significance. MDs do have to pass epidemiology in medical school. Most doctors won't go on national television and report study results that aren't based on solid research. They do have licenses to protect. But whatever - you want to drink your soda, go ahead. I'm basically a libertarian at heart. Smoke 'em if ya got 'em (and the smoke doesn't go up into my air vents and choke me out.)
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I cut Soda completely out of my diet a year and a half ago. I do not miss it, and after about 2 weeks of no soda in my system, I felt so much better.

When I do crave something carbonated, I will have some club soda with Lemon and cucumber. Or I'll add some crystal light to it.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    well for one - where is the study?
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda around two and a half years ago
  • Chewster001
    Options
    well for one - where is the study?

http://bit.ly/YT8LLA
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options

This.

How do you guys define "solid research"? It was a small study but it did pass the test of statistical significance. MDs do have to pass epidemiology in medical school. Most doctors won't go on national television and report study results that aren't based on solid research. They do have licenses to protect. But whatever - you want to drink your soda, go ahead. I'm basically a libertarian at heart. Smoke 'em if ya got 'em (and the smoke doesn't go up into my air vents and choke me out.)

do you have a link for said study

only curious
  • djk721
    djk721 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda a year ago. I will have a sparkling water (no sugar added) every now and then. I don't miss it at all.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Everything in this world is said to cause some sort of risk to get something one way or another....It's pretty much pick your "posion".
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet Coke because I craved more junk foods when I had it...I loved it, and miss it. I really feel so much better that I have changed my diet.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda (with an exceptio of maybe 1-2 servings per year) 23 years ago. I will always remember the biology teacher in high school that one day came in to class, put a 1 Liter bottle of coke on the desk and then quietly proceeded to pile up sugar cubes next to the bottle. :frown: After a few minutes and a big pile of sugar cubes he looked up and asked us if we would drink a liter of water with all the sugar dissolved in it. Just the thought made me gag and pretty much everybody agreed that it was gross. He then said that the sugar he had piled up was the equivalent of the sugar in the coke........Cured me from drinking much soda!!!! :noway:

Edited for typos
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I quit my 6-can a day Diet Coke habit in March. Seriously the worst addiction I've ever had and I've been addicted to some stuff that could be on a day time talk show. Feel tons better! I feel like it was making me "snacky" for some reason and low energy. No studies, just feelin better. :)

I did recently find Crystal Light Pure, made with Stevia, which I use sparingly for a treat.
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    My issue with most studies like this is the causal link...how can they isolate diet soda as the culprit...
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Everytime I decide to get back into exercising, one of the things I cut off is soda, and within the next two weeks since fully cutting it out, I lose at least 5 pounds (and this sorta has been proven from experience since I keep getting on and off the wagon. Thank god, i've got some sense knocked into me now, and this is be the last time, and it will be permanent =D).

HOWEVER, I am not into demonizing any food. One of the reasons I may have dropped those pounds is because, the thing about sodas for me is that I don't just have 1. I have a couple at the very least. Thus going over my calories = weight gain.

And as for cancer, EVERYTHING causes cancer. So really, just enjoy yourselves. Eat your favorite foods in moderation, and again, this is your life, you can keep restricting all sorts of things and feel deprived, OR take control and still BE ABLE to enjoy what you love.

There is my 2 cents.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I have some beachfront property for you.
  • Chewster001
    Options
    My issue with most studies like this is the causal link...how can they isolate diet soda as the culprit...

Actually, they didn't isolate diet soda. It was just full strength soda, and they think it has to do with the relationship between sugar and the pancreas.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    *sips my cherry Coke Zero*

Now, what is it that you were saying?
  • Chewster001
    Options
    *sips my cherry Coke Zero*

Now, what is it that you were saying?

*whispers about her undying love for diet cherry vanilla Dr. Pepper*