What do I do with it....

Options
2»

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Throw some into a smoothie blend. The fibrous part will sink to the bottom and the yummy juices will mix into the rest.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    The only thing we ever did with them as kids. We would stab ripe ones with an ice pick. Then throw them at girls nice white blouses n there way to school. It made one heck of a mess. But we all got caught... You guessed it... The stains on our hands.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    the pomegranate is made completely of seeds. There is no real "flesh" to eat. The seeds are delicious but they are a biotch to get out sometimes, and they stain everything! Be careful when pulling them apart!

YES I forever stained white cabinets! careful!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I eat pomegranate with cottage cheese and a little granola. I had to put them in my sink to get the seeds out. Less mess that way.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating tons of it as a child in South Africa - and now all of a sudden its a "super food" and crazy expensive...:bigsmile:
    Eat the seeds, nothing else... And it's nice if you keep it in the fridge - a big bolw full of seeds as snacks, lying in the shade under a tree with a good book on my grandma's farm......:love::flowerforyou: Thanks, brought back lovely memories!
  • Bess_74
    Options
    I love them plain. I just cut off the very top & start peeling away the skin & picking out the seeds. I like them because they take a long time to eat and keep my hands busy so I don't end up eating mindlessly while watching TV. Wear something old though....again with the stains, I also have yellow fingers right now 'cause I've been eating one a day for past few days!
  • MizKittyB
    MizKittyB Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Are the seeds hard? I've only ever had pomegranate juice, because the seeds look to me like they would be as hard as unpopped corn kernels.

...I'm always paranoid about breaking my (soft) teeth. I had to get an inlay done after a run-in with a baby carrot, so... I'm probably a little more paranoid about crunchy food now. (And it's all genetics, too! Most of my dad's side of the family has exceptionally soft teeth.) :noway:
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    I have a tree in my backyard, I spoon out the fruit with the seeds (okay my mother-in-law does it) into a container and eat it all down.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I think you just scoop out the seeds and eat them.

After getting SEVERAL bad ones, though, I can't stomach them any more. Just the sight of them makes me gag.
  • HoneyIShrunktheMom
    Options
    I love them! They are my favorite fall fruit. The easiest way to get them out is to cut off the top. Slice 4 slices about 1/4" in from top to bottom. Soak in a bowl of cold water for 15-20 minutes. While in the water, pull apart at the seams you cut. Keep the pieces in water and begin to pull the membrane and peel away from the seeds. Pull out the seeds and rinse in cold water. Store in the refrigerator in an air tight container.

i eat them plain. I mix them in yogurt. I put them on a salad. I put them in oatmeal.

They are tart but in a sort of sweet and sour way. To answer one of the above questions they are very soft and tender with a small seed on the inside. The seed is not bigger than say, a blackberry seed.

P.S. Wear old clothes when you clean one! :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Are the seeds hard? I've only ever had pomegranate juice, because the seeds look to me like they would be as hard as unpopped corn kernels.

...I'm always paranoid about breaking my (soft) teeth. I had to get an inlay done after a run-in with a baby carrot, so... I'm probably a little more paranoid about crunchy food now. (And it's all genetics, too! Most of my dad's side of the family has exceptionally soft teeth.) :noway:

Not hard at all. think of them more like a berry texture than a popcorn kernel.