Spin Class - what to expect?

Options
2»

Replies

• frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    As asked, I've come back with how it went.

It went oddly! I had done my usual work out before hand which in hindsight is a bit silly! I was under the impression the class itself would be about half an hour, but they were new bikes so we'd probably be doing about 20 minutes of work. Turns out they had a go over the weekend and the session was an hour and fifteen minutes!

It was going great until a specific song came on, which was played at a friend's funeral and it was unfortunately the first time I'd heard it since and I just cried whilst I was going. The instructor thought I was hurt and came over to see me but we sorted me out quickly to continue.

Then about half way through the session I was dying for a wee and had to go mid song- when I came back it was back to it.

The ladies that were in there were really putting me to shame! I could barely stand up after my loo break and they were going like manics! They said for a starter I didn't do too bad and it does take a while to get used to the seats. I think I'll go again next week if I can.

It was like a little disco with bikes
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    As asked, I've come back with how it went.

It went oddly! I had done my usual work out before hand which in hindsight is a bit silly! I was under the impression the class itself would be about half an hour, but they were new bikes so we'd probably be doing about 20 minutes of work. Turns out they had a go over the weekend and the session was an hour and fifteen minutes!

It was going great until a specific song came on, which was played at a friend's funeral and it was unfortunately the first time I'd heard it since and I just cried whilst I was going. The instructor thought I was hurt and came over to see me but we sorted me out quickly to continue.

Then about half way through the session I was dying for a wee and had to go mid song- when I came back it was back to it.

The ladies that were in there were really putting me to shame! I could barely stand up after my loo break and they were going like manics! They said for a starter I didn't do too bad and it does take a while to get used to the seats. I think I'll go again next week if I can.

It was like a little disco with bikes

Great to hear you liked it. Just keep going back. Eventually your legs will get stronger. I always pee before I spin because if I don't I have to in the middle of class! Good job and thanks for the update!
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I was going to say expect your bum to be numb for about a month. LOL. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. It is tough!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Wow, 75 minutes is a long spin class! Glad to hear it went OK though. The first time I tried it I was just so-so on it but after the 2nd or 3rd time I realized that I definitely love it. I only do it about once a week but always look forward to it - even though I am hating it mid-class. I will add though that my butt doesn't hurt when I do it. Not sure if it's my shape or the seats but that parts never really been an issue for me - fortunately! I hope you have an even better experience next time!
  • HMY1
    HMY1 Posts: 3
    Options
    Our local gym runs 2 hour classes when there is a new release happening - it's heaps of fun apparently but I am afraid my boredom threshold would kick in around 50 mins as per usual...

Keep going to the classes, it really does take 3-6 sessions to get the hang of it - and keep us posted on how you are going!
  • OldDog_NewTricks
    OldDog_NewTricks Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Expect it to be exciting and fun, and that you'll feel like there's the distinct possibility that you may die. But after a few times and you begin to master it, expect to feel like it's the most rewarding exercise you've ever done!
  • wargo1et
    wargo1et Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The instructors can definitely make or break a class. I have done spinning at three different gyms and I hated it the first time, the second time I started liking it a bit more, and I am absolutely in love with it now. It really got me into working out again. The music is definitely something that I need to be interested in and the instructors need to mix it up and keep me interested. I can definitely tell what their style is though...one does 'sprints' in almost every song, while another does a lot of resistance. My legs have been constantly sore for a month and it is definitely a class that you can always push yourself harder.
  • janicesweetness
    Options
    very good advice :happy: