THANKSGIVING DINNER

Options
Thanksgiving is JUST around the corner. One of my favorite days of the year. Where I can fill up on 2 humongous plates of the usual; turkey, stuffing, corn, mashed potatoes, butternut squash, and of course pumpkin pie & vanilla iced cream.

But today on Pinterest I found an AWESOME guide from Health Magazine that gives some great alternatives for a healthier dinner... I have recently lost 26 lbs and am indecisive about opting for the usual - or going the extra mile and putting in some hard work and effort to make this a new kind of Thanksgiving.

Will YOU be giving yourself a free pass for the day or opting for the more healthy, low calorie, options? Please share!

nxj69.jpg

ALSO: If you are interested in the link (dont want to spam this post) to the healthier options from Health Magazine/Pinterest then inbox me. Also check out my profile for a link to my facebook page where I share awesome recipes for low calorie meals and pictures along this weight loss journey of mine.....

Replies

• pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK so no thanksgiving to tackle but Christmas day im planning on just upping the veg... If your full up on boiled carrots and parsnip the rest will be easier to avoid...
    though i do have it a little easier than most, i dont like turkey, or roast vegetables, or christmas pudding, or wine, or cream... Stuffing is my only down fall... i could live off stuffing quite happily :D
    x
  • chynatowngirl44
    chynatowngirl44 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am such a commitment freak that since making this choice to eat healthy I don't see myself deviating from that gameplan. this is gonna be difficult this year, because we are heading out of town to my husbands family's house 2 hours away, and they are meat eaters. I am vegetarian / vegan and this is gonna be extra hard on me because they can be very persuasive especially in the way of questioning the choices that I make. but I am determined that I am going to stick to my plan and eat healthy w/o the meat for the holidays. This will be a test of my willpower for sure.
  • hilly215
    hilly215 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hey my friend...My fiance and I decided to host Thanksgiving in our new place this year for our parents so, thankfully, I have FULL control over the menu! :laugh: I've been scoping out some healthier veggie options and turkey options to substitute...there are two staples that I can't substititue....Meat Pie and our family's meat stuffing, but I will just take smaller portions of those and amp up on the veggies...But, I'd love the link to the article. I'll inbox you. :laugh: :laugh:
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    CHYNA -

I also found an awesome link from Pinterest for a vegan holiday too, looked pretty delicious... sent to your wall.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Last year I did awesome on thanksgiving. Filled my plate with tons of white meat turkey, small tastes of the bad stuff, a big salad with light dressing, and a bite of my husbands pie. I don't drink alcohol so that helps too.

This year, as I'm basically on maintenance... I will be going ALL OUT on thanksgiving this year! Then sweating it out the following day with Shaun T.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    One day one set you back that much, even if you tried.
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is about traditional foods, so I'll be making some healthy tweaks, but nothing drastic - as evidenced by the bacon wrapped turkey I'm cooking. You can also find some good recipes at the whole foods website.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 100lbs, my wife has lost 45lbs, we do not do cheat days or meals. But for Thanksgiving we are making an exception. We are going "All in" with a full roasted Turkey/stuffing/potatoes/candied yams/ greenbean Casserole/ pies/cobbler. For the one day only.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is my absolute favorite holiday. I will not be worrying too much about what I eat that day. I do plan on going for a run in the morning, but then Game on! I love spinach dip and crackers. I love the entire thanksgiving feast. And I love dessert. I'm not going to skimp on my favorite holiday. It's only 1 day...and I'll be walking it off the next day while shopping!
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I am planning on celebrating Thanksgiving the traditional way...I just plan on making better choices at the table...ie measured amount of Turkey breast instead of my previous unlimited helpings of (dark meat)....plenty of greens (instead of plenty of stuffing)...making/bring my own version of sweet potatoes/ mashed cauliflower/ dessert...etc...etc..
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'll be giving myself a free pass for a week. We travel to see relatives and it's a whole house of great cooks and amazing food. I'll enjoy it, continue to work out while I'm there and then get back to eating healthy and sticking within my calorie goals when I get back. I'm doing this for life...anything I wouldn't be willing to give up for life, I'm not planning on giving up now. I know that I'll want to enjoy the food at Thanksgiving for years to come so I might as well learn how to chill out and pick back up where I left off after the holiday.
  • jennieth
    jennieth Posts: 105
    Options
    I cannot stand turkey so I usually eat tons of the bad stuff! This year I will be making myself some chicken breast to have with me and just having small servings of all the yummy bad stuff. Running in the morning and evening too! So close to my 100 lbs dont want to kill it.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    So my extended family won't be around and therefore no Thanksgiving dinner at my house. Like last year, my parents will probably have a movie marathon and order Boston Market or something. I was going to go to my boyfriend's again, but his mom decided she couldn't host 54 people at her house and so nothing is going on there. Then his job decided to stay open, so since he works in retail, he has to work anyway. I thought I was going to have a tempting day with his family (they are all Hispanic and Italian and cook such delicious food), but it turns out I won't have a tempting day at all. I'm planning a good workout in the am to be on the safe side, but I'll be able to watch what I eat so much easier now.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'm at the mercy of the cook, which is not me. I'm not really fond of Thanksgiving. I really don't get the turkey hype. I eat turkey like twice a week. I'd be more excited for a huge Greek or Italian spread. Everyone eats dinner at like 2pm and then by 7pm I'm hungry again... it's just weird.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Just eat all the foodz!! It's one day, you'll be fine
  • nickgarner6
    nickgarner6 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am not worrying about Thanksgiving and I am treating it as a refeed day. I have never really overindulged on Thanksgiving anyway. Thursday is my rest day from the gym anyway so I will do my usual 4 mile walk and then eat guilt free. I was going to walk 7 or 8 miles but decided against it.
  • playitagainsam
    playitagainsam Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to overdo it, but I'm enjoying a nice dinner; plenty of turkey, a little stuffing, fresh cranberry/orange salad, baked sweet potatoes, a variety of grilled or steamed veggies, smashed cauliflower (rather than mashed potatoes) and certainly a nice, large slice of pumpkin pie. Thanksgiving dinner will be the first time I actually treat myself since March 30, 2012! I'm looking forward to it. I deserve a little treat. But, my feeling is that as long as you don't go overboard and get right back on track the next day, enjoy yourself!!!
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    PORTION CONTROL ...Thanksgiving is once a year and there are certain food items that I only indulge in during this holiday season. I plan to use a "saucer", not pile it high, but sample my "favs" and be done :) I did this before, it worked, and I did not gain a pound...matter of fact I even lost a pound or two :):):)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is JUST around the corner. One of my favorite days of the year. Where I can fill up on 2 humongous plates of the usual; turkey, stuffing, corn, mashed potatoes, butternut squash, and of course pumpkin pie & vanilla iced cream.

But today on Pinterest I found an AWESOME guide from Health Magazine that gives some great alternatives for a healthier dinner... I have recently lost 26 lbs and am indecisive about opting for the usual - or going the extra mile and putting in some hard work and effort to make this a new kind of Thanksgiving.

Will YOU be giving yourself a free pass for the day or opting for the more healthy, low calorie, options? Please share!

nxj69.jpg

ALSO: If you are interested in the link (dont want to spam this post) to the healthier options from Health Magazine/Pinterest then inbox me. Also check out my profile for a link to my facebook page where I share awesome recipes for low calorie meals and pictures along this weight loss journey of mine.....

That doesn't look like a plate of Thanksgiving dinner at all. :noway:
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I am running a 5K that morning. If that isn't enough to allow me to enjoy whatever then so be it. It will be like casting a pebble into the river of my heathy eating and will not change the course.