So, can anyone recommend good facial cleanser?

Options

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I use St. Ives Green Tea Scrub. Smells amazing, my skin FEELS amazing and it helps control breakouts!! And it's less than $3 a bottle.

I used Proactiv for years. It worked well. But the moment I stopped using it, my acne came right back.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    clarisonic.
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    how about steam sauna
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Ok this may sound a little "hippeeish" but a friend recommended trying baking soda as a natural face cleaner and it worked-just a couple teaspoons w/a little water-makes a nice "paste"-scrubs it well and gently-rinses easily-leaves skin nice and soft.
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have been an Esthetician for 11 years and am begging you not to use Pro-Activ. It's like using battery acid on your face! It's a horrible product. Here is what I use. Since you are in your 30's (like me) and are still getting hormonal acne (which is anywhere from the chin to jawline...and usually whatever side is breaking out worse is what side your a ovulating on) I would try Murad's Time Release Acne Cleanser. It's desigined for woman in the 30's-40's to provide an acne treatment and an anti-age treatment in one. Here is a link to the entire Time Release kit....http://www.murad.com/anti-aging-acne.

The main thing to remember is even though your skin is breaking out and may be more on the oily side....you've got to moisturize. When your skin is dehydrated from lack of moisturizer, your body will produce more oil to compensate for the lack of hydration. More oil=more breakouts! I would seriously suggest you getting a facial treatment from a professional and have them help you find a product line that works best for you and your budget :)

Some other product lines I like are: Dermalogica and Pevonia
    great advice-I agree w/o moisturizer my face immediately breaks out.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have been an Esthetician for 11 years and am begging you not to use Pro-Activ. It's like using battery acid on your face! It's a horrible product. Here is what I use. Since you are in your 30's (like me) and are still getting hormonal acne (which is anywhere from the chin to jawline...and usually whatever side is breaking out worse is what side your a ovulating on) I would try Murad's Time Release Acne Cleanser. It's desigined for woman in the 30's-40's to provide an acne treatment and an anti-age treatment in one. Here is a link to the entire Time Release kit....http://www.murad.com/anti-aging-acne.

The main thing to remember is even though your skin is breaking out and may be more on the oily side....you've got to moisturize. When your skin is dehydrated from lack of moisturizer, your body will produce more oil to compensate for the lack of hydration. More oil=more breakouts! I would seriously suggest you getting a facial treatment from a professional and have them help you find a product line that works best for you and your budget :)

Some other product lines I like are: Dermalogica and Pevonia

I'm also an esthetician... I use the line by Glo Therapeutics and swear by it. They also have a make up line called Glo Minerals. I have cystic acne myself and I don't put ANYTHING on my face that isn't made by Glo.

I'd recommend going to see an esthetician... some regular facials.... check out one that does chemical peels. They are WONDERFUL for acne!! :)

Acne is sorta a specialty for me.. but it's a total guessing game sometimes!
  • jlwbeans0823
    jlwbeans0823 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I use Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleasner.

http://www.sephora.com/aha-bha-exfoliating-cleanser-P4010?om_mmc=Googlepla&_requestid=42976&cm_mmc=us_search-_-GG-_-pla-_-{keyword}&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=653972

I have very oily skin though with some moderate acne. Actually, the acne has been pretty non existant since I started using this stuff. It also evens out my skin tone, reduces pore size and really helps with fine lines. I've also been using Clinque Dark Spot Corrector for acne marks. It's expensive, but it works.
  • Turtlehurdle
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and STOP buying facial cleansers at the mall and drug store.
    Go to a plastic surgeon or dermatologist and buy the good stuff.

113115.jpg
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    cinnamon, nutmeg and honey. It will sting a little if you have sensitive skin, but I loved it! and its cheap!
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I like St. Ives Apricot Scrub with salicylic acid. I sometimes leave it on for awhile as a mask, and then scrub and rinse it off. It works wonders for me, and it's very affordable (stores often have their own brand of it, too).
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    ST ives green tea works good, and I also heard baking soda as well
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    The only 2 cleansers I have found that don't irritate my skin and keep me from "breakouts" are the Cetaphil cleansing bar and the Oil of Olay foaming face wash for sensitive skin. Both are about $5 each.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Burt's Bees Radiance is my favorite.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish - my skins never been better!
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I like St. Ives Apricot Scrub with salicylic acid. I sometimes leave it on for awhile as a mask, and then scrub and rinse it off. It works wonders for me, and it's very affordable (stores often have their own brand of it, too).

This is probably one of the worst products on the market. It is made up of crushed apricot shells with jagged edges that actually make cuts in your skin....... That's the last thing that you want to do with acne is to open up your skin for bacteria to enter. You want to keep your skin exfoliated, but look for something that has round beads - like Jojoba beads.
  • snieters
    Options
    I had the same trouble with hormonal breakouts. I cut back a lot on dairy and started putting soy milk in my coffee etc. it helped a LOT. I also use Jan Marini bioglycolic face wash and it works great! Best of luck!
  • xoxaidaxox
    Options
    I only use ivory to wash my face, then i have a prescription vitamin a cream i put on morning and night, i only use mineral makeup and always wash it off before bed. Dont touch your face with your hands, and sleep on a silk pillow case. Try this for about a week and you will see it get better and better.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I'm an Avon rep, so I'm kinda biased, but Avon Clearskin is pretty awesome.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Cetaphil. Even with my out of control hormones it keeps my face clean, soft and fairly breakout free. I use St. Ives scrub once or twice a week and love Mario Badescu's drying lotion for when I do get breakouts.
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm an esthetician and I have also struggled with acne most of my life. A good cleansing system is key for clear skin. I recommend getting the Clarisonic skin brush (or the Olay one if it works better for your budget), and a good cleanser.

IMAGE is my favorite product line and they make a fantastic line for people struggling with acne called Clear Cell. Look em up online to find out what spa in your area carries them. Best of all, all of their products are PH balanced so you don't need a toner after your cleanser.

If you're concerned with other things like aging or the tone and texture of your skin I would suggest going with their Vitamin C cleanser and then going to your doctor and asking for a prescription for DUAC gel or Benzaclin. That way you can target the acne problem areas while still addressing your other skin concerns.