1/2 Marathon tips needed please

Options
2»

Replies

• HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I too am training for my first half; I've only ever done 2 5Ks and they were Warrior Dash, so not an easy race by any means. I've run as much as 8 miles and once 9 miles. I was regularly running 3x per week; shorter runs during the week and longer run on the weekend.

I am using the Hal Higdon novice1 training schedule and I've not actually signed up for a half yet. But I've identified a 5K that fits perfectly into the schedule to sign up for (Reindeer Romp....haha sounds fun).

I too need to read a little more on training for half's; I already have good shoes and was fitted at a running store after they evaluated my gait. I have some regular running clothes, but need to add to them; I don't have enough cold weather running clothes.

My only issue for training is where we live is all hills...so unless I'm running on the treadmill...I'm doing hills every run. We do have the option of driving 1 hour to a greenway to do a more level run but we don't do this but maybe once per month if that. Any recommendations for me on this?
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing my fifth Half next month. I generally do the walk/run for it and followed Jeff Galloway's training plans. I have modified it over the years and plan my entire year's mileage schedule in advance. Do what is on your plan and don't skip! Also agree with not doing anything different on race day. Adding that if your race is early, early in the morning or at night, make sure one of your last long training runs is at the same time of day.

The treadmill is all right, but you definitely need to put foot to pavement so your body knows how to deal with the harder surface. My long day is always outside unless it is raining, but I live in FL so it doesn't get cold enough to keep me inside.

Check out the course if you can. See if it is hilly or flat to help you prepare.

Most importantly...have fun!!! There is no better feeling than crossing the finish line!
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I do like the tip of trying to run outside at least once a week to get the feel of it. I've done a few 5ks outside and 2 of them were in the cold. I have one more that I'm doing on Thanksgiving day.

Thanks for all the advice! I've downladed the Endomondo app and I'm having my friends do the same so we can track each other's training. Great idea!
  • JennS19
    Options
    I have a question on recovering after a 1/2. Do I not run for a few days after? I know after some 5ks I'm sore because of the course and a run a day or 2 after helps my muscles.

Any advice? Thanks!
  • LMG130
    LMG130 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Find a buddy to train with! It makes the runs so much more fun!

Also, think about when you want to start fueling. I find anything above 10 miles is tough to do without a bit of fuel.

Be ready to have good runs and bad runs when you're training too. Some days you feel like a million $, but some runs are torture the whole time. It's good for building mental strength and determination though :-)
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I have a question on recovering after a 1/2. Do I not run for a few days after? I know after some 5ks I'm sore because of the course and a run a day or 2 after helps my muscles.

Any advice? Thanks!

I'd say leave it as an option, but listen to your body. If your body says to keep resting, take it off. If running feels right, do that. I wouldn't plan on doing hard-core intervals the next day or even the day after. Likely your body will tell you precisely what you should do, if you pay close enough attention. And everybody's different - there's no shame in taking cues from your own body and doing your own thing.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    While training make sure to run inside and out. There is such a difference and it will help you so much for your body to be conditioned for both.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Good Running shoes are key. Go have yourself fitted if you haven't done so already.

Listen to your body, you will have good running days and bad, don't get discouraged on a bad day.

Enjoy the experience. It's such a WONDERFUL feeling of accomplishment once you cross that finish line!

THIS!!

And dont worry if you dont run that longest training length before the race, you CAN do it. I did my firt one this past june and didnt run more than 6 miles before the race!!

( I do not recommend this, however LOL )

Good LUCK!!!
  • eknobbe
    eknobbe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump!!! I am going to ned this!!! great topic!!
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Some great advice here! I just signed up for my first Half in April too. I have power walked a couple of full Marathons, but this will be my first Half and the first one running.

Seconded/ thirded on the running shoes thing, I got fitted properly for a new pair a couple of months ago and it really does make a difference.
  • JennS19
    Options
    I'm going to go to a running store in the next few weeks and get fitted properly. I'm excited to get some new shoes!
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Another thing I've done which has worked well for me is seeking out a training program. My area has LOTS of them - between local community running clubs, some of the running stores, YMCA's, and even community health programs. They are great with helping you stick to the plan! Many also have pace groups to help you stick with the training pace you are looking for in your goals! Just look for one that's friendly to runners and walkers of all levels!
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I started running in April doing something like C25K, only without the real program. Just kinda naturally did it.

Oct 21 I ran my first half marathon which went up a mountain, then back down right in the middle. it was a tough race!

My advice:
    1. Buy technical fabrics! I ran in cotton for the first month. Never again. Now I have a whole dresser of running clothes and often wear running shirts in lieu of normal tee shirts. They are so comfy!

2. Get good shoes as everyone has said. But also remember what works when you are first starting out might not be the right shoe a few months down the road. As you lose weight, correct running form, increase pace, increase strength...your gait may change a little. So get re-evaluated every time you get new shoes, at least until you "settle in" as a runner. I have been through 3 different types since April.

3. Bring TP everywhere you go if there are not public restrooms! I cant tell you how many times this has saved me. Sure, there may be a bathroom at mile 8...but I need to go NOW at mile 7. Oh well.

4. As you increase your mileage, you may find a day where you feel completely drained. My first 8 mile run, at mile 7 I felt like I needed some fuel. I struggled through the last mile. After that I started carrying "food". I usually carry GU bloks (mainly for fiancee) and dried fruit for myself. If you ran out of gas at mile 7 last time, try eating a little bit at mile 6. After a while, I no longer needed the food. Your body will adjust and become more efficient. I ran the half with only a piece of dried pineapple (about 15 calories) and water. I probably could have done better if I ate more, but I didnt feel the need. Listen to your body.

5. If your body hurts, try to figure out what hurts. Mainly, is is muscles (and can usually be worked out), or is it ligament/bone (which require RICE). This was very difficult for me to do, probably because Im stubborn and my calendar said 10 miles so I need to run it. I should have taken a day off, a few times. Treat your body well during training, after all, you are expecting it to carry you 13.1 miles!

6. Sign up for races in between. Get used to the environment of racing, how to pace yourself when there are tons of people zigging in and out of the crowd, and how to "kick" at the finish. Also remember, if the race has finishers photos, SMILE!

7. Learn to like pasta/carbs. Once I started doing 10+ mile runs on Sunday, pasta became my family's Saturday night dinner. Since we are both runners, and run together, it wasnt too much of a pain. But if there are kids involved, the same old same old might not fly.

8. Hydrate! If you wait to drink until the run/race, you are too late. Drink plenty of water every day, whether you are running or not. Your body will like you more.

9. Try to go potty before leaving home. If not possible, definitely bring TP. :D

10. The taper period sucks, but you are not alone. I think most runners hate it. But it is there for a good reason, and your body will thank you on race day for the break.

11. Recovery : This is tough for me. After my last half, I was signed up for a 5K the week after, and another half 3 weeks after (This Sunday)...so I didnt have a lot of time to rest. I walked for 2 days, then did a slow run, then a normal run before the 5K. I PR'd the 5k by 3 minutes without thinking too hard about it. Then I did 8 more miles of slow running that day. I did one week of normal training, then I got a cold. It sucks getting sick the week before a race! I still plan on running the half this weekend, just might need a lot of tissues to get through it. Anyways, that was my "recovery"...but my fiance took a whole week off running, then ran the 5K, then took the next week at 50% mileage, and this week at 25% mileage. Point is, everyone recovers different. As long as you listen to your body, you should be fine.

Oh also!!!!! I would not have survived all this running without epsom salt baths! I highly recommend it!

but most importantly, have fun! Take pride that every week you are doing what you couldnt do the week before. It isnt all about the actual race, the training means a lot and is something to be proud of. It takes commitment and dedication and hard (sometimes painful) work.