sweet potatoes

Options
2»

Replies

• jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet potatoe just waiting to made into fries.
    Yum, these sound so good.

The best part of Thanksgiving for me is the sweet potates and the squash.
    So why dont I eat more of them during the rest of the year?
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sweet potatoes. But I'm no help because I'm the opposite of you. I leave mine plain because I want to taste every delicious bite.
  • jenny1ca
    jenny1ca Posts: 16
    Options
    I did sweet potatoes just last night. But Im no help to you either, because I opened them from a can . Just microwaved for a minute with a little butter.
  • aprildh
    aprildh Posts: 90
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes cut up in bit size chunks with just a little olive oil drizzled over them with salt & pepper and tossed on a cookie sheet. Then roast them in the oven on 400 till done ( I think 30-40 minutes). I learned this from Barefoot Contessa on Food Network. I also roast butternut squash, carrots & parsnips this way all together. It makes a great root vegetable side.
  • atlmom
    atlmom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i love to slice them cross wise-like a potato chip. spray olive oil on cooking sheet. place 25-30 slices (i like them really thin-but you can do it thicker). spray again with olive oil. cook at 375 for about 20-25 minutes. turn once as they begin to dry out-about 1/2 way through. careful, they may burn.

i really didn't like sweet potatos, but love them this way. go figure.
  • melgibson
    melgibson Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Bump!!

These recipes sound Good!! :o)
  • CSimpson
    CSimpson Posts: 20
    Options
    If you have left over sweet potatoes from last nights culinary adventure and they are sweet, you can mash up the left overs, add dry pancake mix, liquids and throw them on the griddle. I do this everytime for my family and they love them. Best part, you only need a little bit of butter on top and can skip the syrup, unless your a real die hard syrup fan. I'm not sure what the caloric intake is but I do know there are several sites where you can figure out the portions.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I like to peel them, and cube them, and put them in a frying pan with a little butter & a lot of cinnamon (and nutmeg,,, punkin pie spice,,, whatever you like) - and cook covered over medium/low heat. You're not frying here, and if you get a lot of sizzle you need to turn down the heat.

Once in a while, when I'm in the kitchen, I just pick up the pan, hold the lid down with the thumbs and shake the crap out of the whole works,,, but you could stir too if you're into that. My way is quicker

This is a bit of a slow process. Ever taste raw sweet potato? Don't,,, it tastes like shoe. But when you cook them the starches convert to sugars and they're so good. Usually takes 45 minutes or so to cook down. When they start to soften you can hit 'em with the masher. Just take the good ol' tater masher and pound the snot out of 'em.

4 or 5 pounds of sweetaters is a nice batch. A couple dinners' worth, unless you have the Minnesota Vikings coming for dinner. We put the excess away and lunchbox it. I like to cook way too much dinner and fix box lunches in Gladware and take 'em to work. My wife pretty much won't eat anything not cooked by moi, which is sweet.
  • CasperO
    Options
    I also like to use them in beef stewish sorta thing. Take some stew beef, sear/brown it a little, pour in a little BBQ sauce to season, and add veggies. Some onion, some baby carrots and some cubed sweet potato, maybe some shroom or some green pepper, whaddaya got? Season with a little salt, simmer 'til the veggies cook, and enjoy.

Protein-veggie-starch all in one pan. Park a salad next to it and you're done. Good good stuff, and reasonably light.
  • pamh5555
    pamh5555 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I make my as a twice baked potato. I back for about 1 hour on 375 and then let cool. Scoop at the middle and mash with a little milk, Walnuts, pecans, 2 mini marshmallows, Cinnanmon, pumpkin spice, etcs. whatever i have on hand at the time. Then put back into the shells and rebake again for about 1/ 2 hour on 400.

Remember it is all about portion control. If you like them a certain way, just cut back on the amount of marshmallows, or even look for items that are low in fat/calories. Instead of stick of butter, just use a pat for flavor.

I do this with regular potatoes using fat free cheddar cheese, fat free sour cream, a little bacon, etcs. This way you are getting a treat every now and then and not feel like you are depriving yourself.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I like to peel them, and cube them, and put them in a frying pan with a little butter & a lot of cinnamon (and nutmeg,,, punkin pie spice,,, whatever you like) - and cook covered over medium/low heat. You're not frying here, and if you get a lot of sizzle you need to turn down the heat.

Once in a while, when I'm in the kitchen, I just pick up the pan, hold the lid down with the thumbs and shake the crap out of the whole works,,, but you could stir too if you're into that. My way is quicker

This is a bit of a slow process. Ever taste raw sweet potato? Don't,,, it tastes like shoe. But when you cook them the starches convert to sugars and they're so good. Usually takes 45 minutes or so to cook down. When they start to soften you can hit 'em with the masher. Just take the good ol' tater masher and pound the snot out of 'em.

4 or 5 pounds of sweetaters is a nice batch. A couple dinners' worth, unless you have the Minnesota Vikings coming for dinner. We put the excess away and lunchbox it. I like to cook way too much dinner and fix box lunches in Gladware and take 'em to work. My wife pretty much won't eat anything not cooked by moi, which is sweet.

My Hunny does the mashing technique. He puts a lil spary butter and cinnamon and mashes away!!!!!!! I am like your wife, I pretty muh only like eating his cooking. He works offshore 2wks on 2wks off. The night before he leaves he makes me a batch of sweet potatoes for a few lunches. I have read a lot of your comments (respect your opinions) on here, and you remind me a lot of my husband. That's a good thing by the way.
  • CasperO
    Options
    Thanks Ape, right back at ya' sweetie. Try my stew beef thingie, it's good.
  • sarahof
    sarahof Posts: 2
    Options
    I found a great sweet potato dish. Just sprinkle turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, salt, pepper, and paprika on your potatoes before you bake them. I also add raisins and cashews to the same dish if i want extra sweetness.