Should I be bulking or cutting? Little help please.

Options

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I thought unicorns crapped rainbows.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Because I'm like TOTALLY talking out of my @ss right now......But hey! what do I know?

Fixed it for you
  • Tenster
    Tenster Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hi mate,

I would bulk up a little, I would advise on eating around 300 calories above maintenance in order to limit fat gains.

In my opinion i believe that in the long term you will benefit more from bulking due to it being the winter months, i feel as if you cut now then bulk up after christmas then cut back down in the summer (assuming you would) its a bit stop start.

I would cut your losses now and bulk as lean as you can, the more muscle you have the more fat you will burn so by the time your ready to start cutting your metabolic rate will increase.

This is just my opinion though and everyone who has posted above this has valid opinions too.

Regards
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

For better cutting, you need to make sure you target defining muscles such as your calves and smaller upper arm muscles. There are 12 specific abdominal muscles and generic sit ups won't work them all. There are a lot of exercise that help you target each specific ones. Some people naturally cut, some don't. Keep at it and don't get too discouraged.

nope

You asked for advice, I gave it. This is how I got decent wash board abs with in a year when I needed to shed 40lbs. I got down to 15% body fat, beautifully sculpted arms, legs, back and 75% of my abs. -With out heavy lifting.

Feel free to ignore it, though.

The ignore button is such a wonderful invention. Oh «and magj0y....you are re«ally not having any kind of definition on your arms and shoulders....I would pick up heavy weight.....it would really improve your physique

yeah, it's called I let life get in the way and stopped lifting weights" and yes, I'll be working on that ignore feature.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    You asked for advice, I gave it. This is how I got decent wash board abs with in a year when I needed to shed 40lbs. I got down to 15% body fat, beautifully sculpted arms, legs, back and 75% of my abs. -With out heavy lifting.

It's great that you met and/or exceeded your goals, but you do need to tailor your advice somewhat. Looking at his paradigm you can note that he has a preference for high weight low repetition bb and db movements. He's already heavy lifting, why would you suggest P90X when that's what he's doing? Also, for a lot of men, the big beefy neck you talked about is an end goal. It makes you look bigger and more intimidating. Furthermore, the idea that having a strong yoke is not needed is a pretty bold comment to make. There are plenty of places where it is useful, perhaps not in your lifestyle, but in mine definitely.

I never suggested PX90, please go back and reread the context. Secondly, I advised that making sure you target smaller upper arm muscles gives you better *definition* I never suggested he use light weights. *I* used light weights and achieved what he is looking for. That's all I said. His dismissive attitude was rude...even after I gave him encouragement AND compliments. effing rude. but whatevs. I don't expect everyone to be nice on these forums. That's more naive than believing unicorns crap gold.

Have fun cutting away, you have a ways to go with that. I have nothing more to say.

Perhaps I missed it, but I don't see where the OP responded to any of your posts, rude or otherwise, and he certainly didn't deserve your rude opinion on how much cutting he has to go. I don't see your pics being put out there to show your "washboard abs". Please go back and read the thread...

OP, your progress is great! I would agree with others that say to cut first, though you look great! Sounds like you are almost doing a Leangains style with your eating since you don't eat breakfast. It wouldn't be a stretch for you to at least consider it for a possible plan!
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Yeah now THAT is rude. Totally uncalled for. Think you may need an ego check possibly. He wasn't rude at all, your advice wasn't great, and now your being insulting too. Not cool at all.
  • beezerphd
    beezerphd Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Woah woah woah. I don't know where the attitude came from but if you perhaps go back and reread the thread you'll find that I haven't responded to your post at all, so feel free to take some time to do that.

Then you can come crawling back and apologise.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    cut
  • beezerphd
    beezerphd Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice, critical or otherwise. It will all help me to achieve my goals faster, so I best get started soon since I have a way to go eh. ;)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Here's a photo of my current progress to give you an idea of where I'm at.

You are approximately between a smooth fox and dead sexy.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice, critical or otherwise. It will all help me to achieve my goals faster, so I best get started soon since I have a way to go eh. ;)

Lol I'd just ignore crabby knickers and her dumbass comment. Shea totally talking out of her toned and beautiful *kitten* whilst obviously performing ab exercises to keep her wash board stomach lol.
  • befitandfearless
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your amazing progress! Also, don't forget it's a life-long journey and you will ALWAYS need to check after yourself and adjust your sails according to where you're at and where you want to go.

With that said, I also need to precise that I am not aware of your workout regimen and diet; but here would be my suggestions.

1. For what I understood, you don't mind staying at the size you are (but would like to continue making progress) and you're current focus is on not getting flabby again. My advice is to continue weight lifting. BUT, you are facing a plateau, which is normal. You need to switch things up. Are you still doing a full body workout? If so, you definately need to upgrade to a split workout. If not, then you may need to re-arrange your split to create some muscle confusion and get going again. The point here is: your muscles adapted. You need to push em harder in order to continue seeing results.

For a great article introducing different basic and common workout splits: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beginner-to-advanced-bodybuilder-in-12-weeks.html

2. You seem to struggle between keeping a healthy and high caloric diet. My advice here is to cut back where needed, and incorporate a muscle weight gain catalyst. BUT, you don't want to use it like they write on the packaging. I use 3/4 scoop after my workouts to help my muscles recover, and furnish it with the building blocks necessary to their growth. For you, I'd recommend anywhere from 1-4 scoops per day when training. Experience and adjust. And keep in mind that those calories won't make you fat if you take them while working out. (My guy friends used to tell me I would get fat, and that those weren't products made for women, etc. I didn't get fat or extremely bulky. I had the results I trained for!) I hope you'll give it a try.

Here's the one I use : http://www.allmaxnutrition.com/products-type/quickmass-loaded/
    My flavour is Cookies & Cream, and it is just amazing!

You can also subscribe to my blog: www.befitandfearless.tumblr.com
    And stay tuned for my upcoming website with FREE recorded workouts, workout routines and meal plans!

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck in your journey. <3
  • befitandfearless
    Options
    Here's my current workout split tho:

Monday – Chest, Shoulders & Triceps

Running, 10 minutes

Chest
    3 sets of, dumbell bench press
    3 sets of, incline dumbell bench press
    3 sets of, dips

Triceps
    3 sets of, lying tricep extension
    3 sets of, dumbbell tricep kickback
    3 sets of, tricep cable extension

Shoulders
    4 sets of, barbell front raise
    4 sets of, dumbbell lateral raise

Stairmaster, 20 minutes (10 minutes upfront and 5 minutes each on L&R side)

Stretching, 10 minutes

Tuesday – Abs, Back & Biceps

Running, 10 minutes

Core & Lower Back
    4 sets of 30s, plank (on elbows)
    4 sets of 30s, supermans

Back
    3 sets of, wide grip assisted pull up machine
    3 sets of, lat pulldown
    3 sets of, straight arm lat pulldown
    3 sets of, machine reverse fly
    3 sets of, upright row

Biceps
    3 sets of, standing barbell curl
    3 sets of, preacher curl

Abs & Obliques
    3 set of 12 reps, hanging knee raises
    3 sets of 10 reps, reverse crunches
    3 sets of 10 reps on each side, side crunches

Stretching, 10 minutes

Wednesday – Legs

Running, 20 minutes

Quads, Glutes & Hamstrings
    4 sets of, barbell squat
    3 sets of, dumbbell lunge
    3 sets of, leg press
    3 sets of, leg curl
    3 sets of, leg extension
    3 sets of, thigh adductor
    3 sets of, thigh abductor

Calves
    5 sets of, standing calf raise (heavy)
    5 sets of, seated calf raise (light)

Stretching, 10 minutes

Thursday – Chest, Shoulders & Triceps

Running, 10 minutes

Chest
    3 sets of, dumbell bench press
    3 sets of, incline dumbell bench press
    3 sets of, dips

Triceps
    3 sets of, lying tricep extension
    3 sets of, dumbbell tricep kickback
    3 sets of, tricep cable extension

Shoulders
    4 sets of, barbell front raise
    4 sets of, dumbbell lateral raise

Stretching, 10 minutes

Friday – Abs, Back & Biceps

Running, 10 minutes

Core & Lower Back
    4 sets of 30s, plank (on elbows)
    4 sets of 30s, supermans

Back
    3 sets of, wide grip assisted pull up machine
    3 sets of, lat pulldown
    3 sets of, straight arm lat pulldown
    3 sets of, machine reverse fly
    3 sets of, upright row

Biceps
    3 sets of, standing barbell curl
    3 sets of, preacher curl

Abs & Obliques
    3 set of 12 reps, hanging knee raises
    3 sets of 10 reps, reverse crunches
    3 sets of 10 reps on each side, side crunches

Stairmaster, 20 minutes (10 minutes upfront and 5 minutes each on L&R side)

Stretching, 10 minutes
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    Edit.
  • Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Woah woah woah. I don't know where the attitude came from but if you perhaps go back and reread the thread you'll find that I haven't responded to your post at all, so feel free to take some time to do that.

[/quote]

Yes! Way to go Beezer! There was no need for what she said - absolutely none!

I am so very proud of your progress, my friend! Keep up the good work! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

It's great that you met and/or exceeded your goals, but you do need to tailor your advice somewhat. Looking at his paradigm you can note that he has a preference for high weight low repetition bb and db movements. He's already heavy lifting, why would you suggest P90X when that's what he's doing? Also, for a lot of men, the big beefy neck you talked about is an end goal. It makes you look bigger and more intimidating. Furthermore, the idea that having a strong yoke is not needed is a pretty bold comment to make. There are plenty of places where it is useful, perhaps not in your lifestyle, but in mine definitely.

I never suggested PX90, please go back and reread the context. Secondly, I advised that making sure you target smaller upper arm muscles gives you better *definition* I never suggested he use light weights. *I* used light weights and achieved what he is looking for. That's all I said. His dismissive attitude was rude...even after I gave him encouragement AND compliments. effing rude. but whatevs. I don't expect everyone to be nice on these forums. That's more naive than believing unicorns crap gold.

Have fun cutting away, you have a ways to go with that. I have nothing more to say.

I was hoping to see you come back at that b!tch with something of the sorts^
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

That was actually me trying to be polite, if you can believe it. No matter, I've got better things to waste my time on than this.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Just creeping in to say that the OP is cute and will be cute whatever he chooses to do next :blushing:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You definitely should work on cutting at this point. It's not that you're so muscular that it's serious cut time, it's more that it's much easier to keep a low BF% during a bulk if you start from a lower BF%. While I think you could use some more mass (assuming that's a goal you care about), from where you are right now you may add too much fat with in and just make cutting that much harder down the line. So keep cutting, but use the mirror as a guide. That's because the scale won't do you justice because muscle weighs more than fat.

Good luck!

And pull your pants up.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You definitely should work on cutting at this point. It's not that you're so muscular that it's serious cut time, it's more that it's much easier to keep a low BF% during a bulk if you start from a lower BF%. While I think you could use some more mass (assuming that's a goal you care about), from where you are right now you may add too much fat with in and just make cutting that much harder down the line. So keep cutting, but use the mirror as a guide. That's because the scale won't do you justice because muscle weighs more than fat.

Good luck!

And pull your pants up.