HELPFUL TIP FOR THE DAY

Replies

• JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Don't waste food! Think of the starving children in China!

This, plus nearly every other continent(I know China's not a continent) on earth.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    My "no longer hungry" button is broken, so I do it a bit differently. I very carefully measure my portions onto my plate, and when my food is gone, I declare myself no longer hungry.

I'm definitely hungry again for the next meal (4 per day). I don't know where this notion that you should never feel hungry comes from!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Great idea if you're at home....what about at a restaurant. I had this issue when we went away for our anniversary. The portions were too big and I only wanted to eat about 1/3....we were staying in a very nice hotel and there were not in room refrigerators....he had a COW that I was going to waste it...he forced me to eat more and then I felt like throwing up....I ended up feeling horrible after both nights out. Why can't they offer 1/2 portions on the menu? I understand why they offer such large portions, but I AM NOT A VERY BIG PERSON AND I CAN'T EAT 1000 CALORIES AT ONE MEAL or even 500 really. It's WAY too much and I would rather throw it away then stuff myself and feel ill.
  • GOOD IDEA
  • I tried it. Lemon does help the water go down easier. Good Tip
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    It's definitely tougher at a restaurant. Sometimes I figure out what my portions should be by eyeballing/comparing with what I would have at home. And sometimes I declare it a diet-free meal and eat however much of it I want.

And I wish they would serve human being size portions, too. There really should be an option to order half portions.
  • catinohio
    catinohio Posts: 82 Member
    Great idea if you're at home....what about at a restaurant. I had this issue when we went away for our anniversary. The portions were too big and I only wanted to eat about 1/3....we were staying in a very nice hotel and there were not in room refrigerators....he had a COW that I was going to waste it...he forced me to eat more and then I felt like throwing up....I ended up feeling horrible after both nights out. Why can't they offer 1/2 portions on the menu? I understand why they offer such large portions, but I AM NOT A VERY BIG PERSON AND I CAN'T EAT 1000 CALORIES AT ONE MEAL or even 500 really. It's WAY too much and I would rather throw it away then stuff myself and feel ill.

I definitely understand not wanting to waste, especially a meal at a pricey restaurant. Maybe you & hubby could have SHARED a meal, & if he wanted more he could have ordered an appetizer, extra side, or whatever. Or was there a Senior portion or option to order ala carte? This was your ANNIVERSARY, and he wanted to treat you to something out-of-the-ordinary & special. But I also think you two may need to have a conversation about sabatoge. How could you really enjoy the weekend if you felt sick?
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    My plate that I always eat my dinner off of is a good 3 inches smaller than a normal dinner plate. not as small as a dessert plate and no where near as big as a dinner plate. I base my portions on that and when I eat off that pl;ate because I feel like I have had a full plate of food I am done. I also measure my food and if I am having a lot of protein and know I will fill quickly I put only a half serving of the other stuff on my plate. If I am still hungry I go back for the other half. When the full portion is gone I immediately store the left overs so I am not staring at them.

For all giving her crud about food wasting my ex mother in law swore that to maintain weight you never ate the last bite of food. Somehow this has always worked for her.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    I only eat about half of what they serve in a restaurant. Most recently I've been asking for a to go box when I place my order...
  • KatKisses
    KatKisses Posts: 296 Member
    thats really interesting.........wish I thought of it............
  • Annette8479
    Annette8479 Posts: 82 Member
    I never understand why people on MFP are so unnecessarily harsh on each other.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member

When I'm at a restaurant, I ask for a to-go box to come with my meal. When it arrives, I pack up half of the portion to take home, and then eat what's on my plate. I did this even before I was losing weight because restaurant portions are HUGE!!
  • katealbright
    katealbright Posts: 134 Member
    I'm crazy about logging so I will log a meal before I eat it and then I won't eat more than that so I don't have to go through my madness of perfectly calculating it again lol
  • Why not just put less on the plate and not waste food?

That's what I do :smile:
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    lindsiswatchingyou Posts: 114 Member
    I never understand why people on MFP are so unnecessarily harsh on each other.

Probably because everyone's hungry :laugh:
  • I could never throw away food!
    To cut down portion sizes I got a smaller plate. Now I have less, it feels like I'm eating a lot, I eat slowly, and in all I'm eating less.

Same here I can not see myself throwing away food my cousin does that and gets me so upset!!
  • How about sharing your meal if you are with someone tell them to take 1/2 of it if you know that you will be thowing some away, that's what I do with my husband and if my kids like what I am eating I do it as well with them!!!
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    I only eat about half of what they serve in a restaurant. Most recently I've been asking for a to go box when I place my order...

^^ this is what I do. But unfortunately, the OP didn't have this option for lack of place to store it over the entire weekend.
  • eatinghappy
    eatinghappy Posts: 11 Member
    The purpose of drinking water before a meal is to fill your stomach so you will eat less and still feel satisfied. Water actually helps you to better absorb the nutrients and digest the foods you eat. It also keeps you hydrated. During this time of the year (with a bit of chill in the air) I drink hot decaf tea between meals and sometimes at mealtime. Hot liquids also fill you up faster. Soup is a great choice if you are watching your A1C levels. Hope this is helpful!
    tlc

PS
    I also live in the atlanta area!
  • I usually try and eat my dinner on a salad plate. I can fill my plate up and not feel like I'm not getting enough to eat. I'm not a big leftovers fan, but my husband is, so he always takes what we had for dinner to work the next day for lunch. It is harder to gauge portion sizes at restaurants. I also ask for a to-go box before I get my meal so that I can put half in the box and not be tempted to pick at it while waiting on the bill.

Does anyone struggle with eating more while with friends? When my husband and I go out to dinner I usually don't have a problem but when I'm having lunch or dinner with my girlfriends and we get to talking, I don't even realize how much I'm eating. That's something I need to work on.