Would you chip your kids?

Options
124»

Replies

• magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    They have watches & bracelets now for kids....less invasive I think haha

I will totally have a family tracker on my daughter's phone once she's old enough to have one....

Thing is.. those can be removed. Maybe, eventually, they'll get more creative with placement. and a phone can be turned off.

You guys are already being tracked, it's naive to think you're not. Ever noticed the data mining this site does? Have you ever noticed the banner ads that pop up and sometimes it's from a company mysteriously and magically near your house. Or an ad for website you've been shopping at? yeah. They know. My niece wants an I-phone :shudder, but I love her: guess who/what is being advertised on my screen.
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Why would I chip them when like my pet I could just keep them on a leash or shut in the house? I mean there is nothing that I can do that will 100% keep anyone I know safe. I have known the desire to do so but the world just doesn't work that way. When I have kids I will teach them how to protect themselves with self defense classes but past a certain age they have to go out and experience the world. At that point I can't do more than know they are well armed to handle themselves and smart enough to not put themselves in overly dangerous situations.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    I thought for a moment you meant, would you wood chipper your kids. I thought it was a bit harsh to put on a forum.
  • Crisitunity
    Crisitunity Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'll just lock my kids in the basement until they're 18, eliminate all risks.

LOL

No for me. My husband would never go for it either. He's a bit religious and wouldn't do something like the mark of the beast for the hands or forehead. My memories from my childhood are too fresh for me, parents are too controlling.

I'll definitely track them with cellphones.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I will totally have a family tracker on my daughter's phone once she's old enough to have one....

Thing is.. those can be removed. Maybe, eventually, they'll get more creative with placement. and a phone can be turned off.

You guys are already being tracked, it's naive to think you're not. Ever noticed the data mining this site does? Have you ever noticed the banner ads that pop up and sometimes it's from a company mysteriously and magically near your house. Or an ad for website you've been shopping at? yeah. They know. My niece wants an I-phone :shudder, but I love her: guess who/what is being advertised on my screen.

:laugh:

You always say the darnedest things! :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the thread where the paranoid TV "news" watchers were talking about how they won't let their kids hang out at the mall. :laugh:

I am glad my parents taught me independence and responsibility.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'd even do it myself. Learned how to do that when I was 15.
  • magj0y
    Options
    When my daughter was younger, (3'ish) we had a year pass to a very popular and always crowded zoo. I always had her on a harness leash and got sooo so many dirty looks! It allowed me so so many saves due to the negligence of other people even when she was standing next to me! This toddler climbed over a ledge and fell into a canine exhibit at a zoo and got killed. Wouldn't have happened to my kid, she was always on a leash. Ducks and peacocks ran wild at the zoo and could be obnoxious, and many times a leash allowed me to reign my kid in so much faster. I'm 5'8. holding a kid's hand for hours on end, carrying her or having her in a stroller just isn't practical! She enjoyed the zoo so much better, I didn't get cranky/tired/sore back and we have great memories. The San Diego zoo is a krazy place for a 3 yr old! Balboa park in general was.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I thought for a moment you meant, would you wood chipper your kids. I thought it was a bit harsh to put on a forum.

Sometimes kids just need to be taught a lesson.
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Why would I chip them when like my pet I could just keep them on a leash or shut in the house? I mean there is nothing that I can do that will 100% keep anyone I know safe. I have known the desire to do so but the world just doesn't work that way. When I have kids I will teach them how to protect themselves with self defense classes but past a certain age they have to go out and experience the world. At that point I can't do more than know they are well armed to handle themselves and smart enough to not put themselves in overly dangerous situations.

Exactly! Many times I've defended myself to helicopter parents with the following:

"She knows right from wrong and I raised her with common sense. At some point I have to trust that I did my job as a mother."

I never lived in fear that a random person was going to steal her. Those incidents are so rare that I can't be bothered to worry about them.

I have a smart, confident 19-year-old who - other than a couple speeding tickets - has never been in trouble with the law, was able to spend a month in Europe without mommy or daddy, has navigated some of the busiest airports in the US on her own, and who never called me from college crying that she wanted to come home.
  • magj0y
    Options

It's so true, though!! My husband has been working for internet companies before it was widely used... some krazy stuff goes down, man. Once it's on the internet... it's gone. Google? every little thing you have ever searched for is tracked. Search for strip clubs in a town your visiting? Google knows. Have an uncommon fetish? Google knows. That secret e-mail acct you have for that secret affair? That company knows and they have your stuff stored. It sounds paranoid, but it's true! My husband has a google calendar and a reminder popped up along with estimated time it takes to get to his dr's office. I was looking at college stuff.. so now I have to suffer those ads, too!
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    No. That's crazy.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    They are called cookies and no they are not the one you eat with a glass of milk....:tongue:

It's so true, though!! My husband has been working for internet companies before it was widely used... some krazy stuff goes down, man. Once it's on the internet... it's gone. Google? every little thing you have ever searched for is tracked. Search for strip clubs in a town your visiting? Google knows. Have an uncommon fetish? Google knows. That secret e-mail acct you have for that secret affair? That company knows and they have your stuff stored. It sounds paranoid, but it's true! My husband has a google calendar and a reminder popped up along with estimated time it takes to get to his dr's office. I was looking at college stuff.. so now I have to suffer those ads, too!
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    On another note. No I would not. I work in the IT field and there are MANY other ways to track that do not require implant.
  • laural007
    laural007 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If it meant keeping my kids safe, then yes.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    we'll all have them eventually.

Not me!!! My kids are adults and fortunately, they're against chipping too. It's because we're Christians and to us having a chip is too much like the mark of the beast. Not gonna happen! :noway: