Do you have people watching you to see if you eat?

Options
K so here is my beef !!!! I feel everywhere I turn around someone is watching me to see if I will eat. I really want to scream leave me alone I don't have a eating disorder . ( I really don't. I lost my best friend in high school because she had a a eating disorder. I wouldn't do that to myself or my family.) . I eat !!!!! Just because I eat very healthy ( like a plant based diet) doesn't mean I don't eat or that I don't eat enough calories. I really am getting sick of my family and friends always pushing food on me.

Does anyone have this problem? Please tell me how you are handling this.

I don't have a mean bone in my body but I sure wish I did cuz I would love to tell them off instead of crying in my room.

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Well, can't say that I do.

But this might be something you want to talk to them about. It's pretty natural for them to check up on this if you are really skinny, they're just concerned
  • breeZrizi
    breeZrizi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i do :/

they think 1300 calories are not enough in the day. and yeah it a HUGE difference from what i used to eat. Its the comparison i think is what's freaking them out. I'm perfectly fine with a 1200 calorie day. im definitely not full but im alright

dont stress on it. we know how our bodies work. low cals and excersize is the way to go to lose weight. its working for me. others will judge but are they trying to lose weight? what they dont understand they will critisize. they dont have to like it

keep doing what youre doing girl! :)
    eat healthy
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You are 44....If you eat well and there is no reason for your family and friends to worry about your weight, they are weird....But if you are the only one thinking you are eating enough and is at a healthy weight, and so many of your family and friends are worried enough to watch an adult woman, then maybe there is a problem....
    Open your diary if you want an objective look from strangers....
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Are the folks making these comments heavy? If so, I've found it's often one part concern, one part ignorance on how we really should be eating, and one part jealousy. The point is, while there may be some genuine concern motivating this, often there are other things going on that no amount of convincing will change. I wish I had some great piece of advice here, but I think you're just going to have to grin and bear it.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I feel like people are paying way to much attention to what I eat, but not because they think I have an eating disorder. They are watching because they are convinced I must eat weird to have lost so much weight. It's annoying!
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    Are the folks making these comments heavy? If so, I've found it's often one part concern, one part ignorance on how we really should be eating, and one part jealousy. The point is, while there may be some genuine concern motivating this, often there are other things going on that no amount of convincing will change. I wish I had some great piece of advice here, but I think you're just going to have to grin and bear it.

This
  • breeZrizi
    breeZrizi Posts: 213 Member
    Options

^^^^true

they may be ignorant and jealous of your weight loss
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    my sister is about 70 lbs less than me and 7 inches taller so I am definitely the fat twin. she eats what she wants and doesn't work out and I work out like CRAZY so the gap between our weights is lessening. It used to be 100+ difference. The closer I get to her weight the more she seems to be looking at me, and not in a supportive way. she always has comments when she sees me eating something she thinks I shouldn't. "you're eating pizza!!!??" It doesn't bother me that much but as I start looking slimmer than her I expect she'll start paying less attention to my diet and focus on her own.
  • thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    LOl Thanks guys I knew I could find some support with my MFP friends.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Only my dog, but I suspect she is only hoping I drop some....
  • velsbree
    Options
    People are jealous, you are using self control no excuses and losing weight \. that said at 44 you should not care what they think do or watch. simply do not engage in the conversation they will get tires of it and stop.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Nope; it's been way too obvious that I eat.
  • mdearmond
    mdearmond Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    my family does it to me constantly. I started eating better over the summer (cut out all fast food, soda, etc) and started training for a half marathon. The first time I went to my parents' house after starting this (it had probably been a month or so since I had been to my hometown to see them), I thought my mom was going to cry. No sooner than I had walked in the door, she started asking me "where the rest of me was" and "was I sure I was eating" (asking this as I was sampling everything on the stove that she was making for dinner didn't seem quite logical to me, but hey, who knows). I stayed home for about a week and constantly noticed everyone in my family kind of watching me and asking me if I was sure that I was eating and if I was taking care of myself.

I understand how it can be kind of disheartening and definitely somewhat of a hassle to have to explain yourself for taking care of your body and eating well, but that's finally what brought me to the point of kind of going off. I finally just explained that yes, I was still eating plenty, i was just making better choices of what to eat and had become more active and that although I had gotten smaller, I still had plenty of meat on my body from the muscle I had built. Basically, I learned that all I can do is assure them that I am eating fine and there is nothing to worry about and that hopefully if they feel the need to keep watching some of my habits will at least maybe rub off on them. If you have to, show them your food diary so they can see just how many calories you eat in a day.

Keep it up though, as long as you're taking care of yourself don't let it get to you :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    No, but I have coworkers commenting my weight a lot. It's annoying.
  • chrisc16
    Options
    I have to agree. It seems the new "norm" today is eating like a horse, and if you try and be conscious of what you are eating, well, you must have a problem. I just tend to ignore it - after all, I eat just not like I used to (or everyone else seems to be doing).
  • LCHOLT71
    LCHOLT71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have people at work telling me that they are going to have to start feeding me. It's said jokingly, but I think people must wonder if you are actually eating when you do lose weight. I also have family members asking "when are you going to stop losing weight" and "you don't need to lose any more". I agree with chrisc16 - people have been trained now to overeat, so they think if you watch your calories, then you're not eating enough.
  • thoseblueeyes
    Options
    I also agree everyone thinks you should eat huge amounts of food. I went to lunch with a friend last week. She wanted a cheeseburger so I said that was fine. I order a kids meal and ate about 70% of the hamberger and about 1/2 of the fries. She totally flipped on me and told me I needed to finish my meal. I just looked at her and could not believe she just said that. If I am not hungry I will not keep on eating.

LOL I usually don't eat like that but I went cuz she wanted a cheeseburger.
  • thoseblueeyes
    Options
    K here is something funny. I just got a friend request from someone that wants to lose as much as I have. I guess they didn't see this post on what a heart ache weight loss can be...
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    Totally this!

[/quote]