THANKSGIVING DINNER

Options
13»

Replies

• tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I am running a 5K that morning. If that isn't enough to allow me to enjoy whatever then so be it. It will be like casting a pebble into the river of my heathy eating and will not change the course.

I'm doing this, too! Get a little calorie burn and hope I don't feel "entitled" to go berserk because of it.
  • Ashsmith07
    Ashsmith07 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Exactly my plan! My mom usually does all of the thanksgiving cooking, but I've asked to take over a few things so that I can make a healthier version. There's no way to make her mashed potatoes healthy though, so just this once I'm going to indulge!
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am making thanksgiving this year and it will be a traditional thanksgiving "dinner". We will most likely eat by 2:00 so we have the rest of the day to burn it off. I don't like to over eat at all anymore so I will eat small portions of everything, most likely have a glass of wine and skip dessert ( only because I am not a big dessert person, particularly after a large meal).
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I am running a 5K that morning. If that isn't enough to allow me to enjoy whatever then so be it. It will be like casting a pebble into the river of my heathy eating and will not change the course.
    While this will create a calorie deficit, it will also increase your appetite.

This by far the GOLD STANDARD for tips on how to deal with special events and the holidays.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/11/cheat-day-strategies-for-hedonist.html
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is by far my favorite holiday when it comes to food. I rarely do cheat days and am almost always under my calorie limit, but that day I plan on just letting myself eat and not worrying about it. I want to be able to enjoy the day stress free and not worry about what I'm eating and how many calories it has. I think if you go into it with the mindset that you are allowing yourself to relax and enjoy a good helping of food and dessert then you won't feel guilty about it. I also, know that I plan on working my butt off in the gym the week before and after to make up for it. It's worth it to be able to have an extra helping of my My mom's cheesy potato casserole and a slice (or two) of my Grandpa's pecan pie. :smile:
  • agoofynut
    agoofynut Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I will be tracking everything and will stay as close to my calorie goal as possible, but I'm not going to overly stress it. I will have two Thanksgiving dinners since we eat with my family and the in-laws, so I'll just make the best decisions that I can.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I wasn't planning on giving myself a free pass, but I wasn't planning on being 100% best. I figure as long as I record I'm happy. That does look good though!
  • hulkklogan
    hulkklogan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience, it's darn hard to resist holiday food. I understand this time of year is chocked full of bad meals, but it's my policy to eat whatever I want on holidays or special occasions. The key thing is to NOT OVEREAT. I figure that this is a lifestyle for me, so I may as well enjoy my time with my family and eat what is available and make up for it later. My first rodeo with Tgiving/Xmas I decided not to cheat and it was rough.. but this time I'm giving in but not going overboard.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It's just our family and DD's BF who are sleeping all day because they're working black Friday which starts at midnight Thursday. So since it will be a later dinner I'll eat light during the day. Then let the feast begin.
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I will be having mostly white meat turkey, plain green beans and salad, but I will be having small servings of mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potato casserole, and a dinner roll. I will also be having a piece of my pumpkin butter cake bars! It's a holiday! In order to be successful and adapt to a "new way of living" you have to allow yourself to enjoy your once a year Thanksgiving dinner. If you resist your family traditions and favorite foods on Thanksgiving day, I guarantee a binge later! You will be thinking about what you wanted so much that you'll end up eating more of something unhealthy to make up for it. At least that's how I am.