fear of 213.8 lbs and all muscle

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    To those who say that a 5'4" woman shouldn't lose on 2100 calories a day, that's ridiculous! Maybe for a sedentary person but this woman is working out for 3 hours a day!! It is quite believeable that her TDEE is over 3000.

I know I'm a bit taller (5'8) but I am also lighter (which needs less calories a day in general) and I can lose weight on around 2300-2500 calories a day. I lead a relatively active lifestyle and workout for around 45 minutes to an hour, 5 times a week. I am by the sounds of it, nowhere near as active as the OP and yet I lose on more. It can be done, just saying!

To answer the OP's question, keep at it, it will come with time. I would consider lowering the exercise though, you don't need 3 hours a day! There is such a thing as overtraining and it can definitely hinder your weight loss! If you are still experiencing problems, then maybe there is some innaccuracy to the amount you're eating. Check everything that you enter, the database is often wrong.

Do you or anyone else have an example of a woman who has a normal body fat % and eats more than 2k or more calories to lose weight? Normal body fat is someone who's not over weight or obese...oh and of course average height 5'5"

Rosie Chee Scott is 5'2, around 10% bf

"I generally use a calorie/carbohydrate cycling method, but no specific diet as such, listening to my body on a daily basis and adjusting my nutrition (as I do my training) as required, with my macronutrient ratios and calorie intake changing on a day-to-day basis, albeit averaging out at ~4,300 calories daily. I adjust my nutrition on a weekly – sometimes even daily – basis, dependent on my progress towards my goal/s of that phase, taking bits and pieces from diets/principles such as Calorie Cycling, Intermittent Fasting, and Paleo, creating my own adaptation and amalgamating them to be specific to me, so that I get the best effects and results possible."
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    3 hour long workouts are insane! You do this 7 days a week?? Have a read up on Cortisol and what it does to your body. It may or may not be the reason you're not seeing weight loss...

Aim for a health Macro (Proteins, Carbs, Fats) Split, adjust your calories down each week or fortnight you don't see your weight going down generally taken from carbs is how I've done it in the past.

I will warn you thought, setting yourself up with such high volume at the beggining of losing weight is a receipe for failure. You don't leave yourself room to reduce calories/increase exercise as you get leaner.

Good luck :-)

I inquired recently to our local gym owner (trainer and former competitor) about losing fat and building muscle. I've lost the weight, but I want my fat percent down and I want some muscle going! Anyway, he told me to reduce my cardio and not to do intense (running, etc.) 5 days/week like I was. That would essentially burn my muscle too. Muscle burns more calories. Anyways point to that is that he told me that my workout should be an 1 to 1 1/2 hours/day. 3 hours seems like a lot, in my opinion. I know everyone is different. Listen to your body and keep your head up! It will happen. We all just have to find out what works for us. Good luck! :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    To those who say that a 5'4" woman shouldn't lose on 2100 calories a day, that's ridiculous! Maybe for a sedentary person but this woman is working out for 3 hours a day!! It is quite believeable that her TDEE is over 3000.

I know I'm a bit taller (5'8) but I am also lighter (which needs less calories a day in general) and I can lose weight on around 2300-2500 calories a day. I lead a relatively active lifestyle and workout for around 45 minutes to an hour, 5 times a week. I am by the sounds of it, nowhere near as active as the OP and yet I lose on more. It can be done, just saying!

To answer the OP's question, keep at it, it will come with time. I would consider lowering the exercise though, you don't need 3 hours a day! There is such a thing as overtraining and it can definitely hinder your weight loss! If you are still experiencing problems, then maybe there is some innaccuracy to the amount you're eating. Check everything that you enter, the database is often wrong.

Do you or anyone else have an example of a woman who has a normal body fat % and eats more than 2k or more calories to lose weight? Normal body fat is someone who's not over weight or obese...oh and of course average height 5'5"

I am 5 6" but I do and I do basically no cardio. My body fat is definitely not over weight.

And you're reducing body fat?

Yes I am. Why would you imply that I am not.

Maybe you where maintaining weight at 2k not dropping body fat. Had to ask to make sure we're on the same page. You look good sara, don't think i am saying other wise.

I am losing weight at 2k - most, if not all, will be BF as I am doing the whole small deficit, weight training, protein thing.

I did not think you were implying that but thank you for clarifying.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Rosie Chee Scott is 5'2, around 10% bf

"I generally use a calorie/carbohydrate cycling method, but no specific diet as such, listening to my body on a daily basis and adjusting my nutrition (as I do my training) as required, with my macronutrient ratios and calorie intake changing on a day-to-day basis, albeit averaging out at ~4,300 calories daily. I adjust my nutrition on a weekly – sometimes even daily – basis, dependent on my progress towards my goal/s of that phase, taking bits and pieces from diets/principles such as Calorie Cycling, Intermittent Fasting, and Paleo, creating my own adaptation and amalgamating them to be specific to me, so that I get the best effects and results possible."

I asked because a lot of people started to criticize my comment where i said, "I can't imagine a normal sized woman eating more than 2k a day to lose weight." I was going off the OP's default picture, she said she was 5'4" a little above normal BF not much, As you know the more over weight you are the more calories you burn. Also the more LBM you have the more calories you burn.

I am looking for someone who doesn't have more than average bodyfat and one who doesn't have more than average LBM. A woman who fits in to the normal standards.

Activity levels are missing from your logic, 2 women the exact same ht/wt, would have different TDEEs based on activity ie a sedentary housewife vs someone more active
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I am 5 6" but I do and I do basically no cardio. My body fat is definitely not over weight.

Maybe you where maintaining weight at 2k not dropping body fat. Had to ask to make sure we're on the same page. You look good sara, don't think i am saying other wise.

I am losing weight at 2k - most, if not all, will be BF as I am doing the whole small deficit, weight training, protein thing.

I don't think you'd make a good example for this question because it seems you have a bit more than average LBM. Which would increase your metabolic rate.

Yes, my LBM is relatively high. However, higher LBM does not actually increase metabolic rate by that much. Also, I am 45 years old - which means I have a lower BMR than many here.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

I don't think you'd make a good example for this question because it seems you have a bit more than average LBM. Which would increase your metabolic rate.

so you're redefining your original question in order to get the responses you want to prove your point?

c'mon dude :laugh:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    @ heybales

The strength training I do is 5 days a week, with a personal trainer in a class, and it is intense most days. 2 days a week is total body, one day is legs, one day is arms, one day is core. I am not following any marathon training program. I am running in intervals to work my way up, 5 days a week. 1 day I week I run outside on a trail. Weather permitting, I usually try to run outside then on the track, but on the track I know where I am with the progression of my intervals.

how is my performance suffering?? I am improving my stamina and the length/time I can run each week.

Are you sore the next day from your strength training?
    If not, then you aren't pushing yourself hard enough to continue to see improvement. You will at first, that will plateau quickly.

If you are sore, do you work out the same muscles intensely?
    The soreness is microtears that need to be repaired, and the reason for doing the lifting is so they repair stronger. If you work them out again intensely, you just killed the full potential benefit of that repair. Again, if starting out, you are lucking out.

Intervals for running, if by intervals you mean walking and jogging, that's fine. If you mean all out effort and then recovery, day after day, you again will luck out if starting, but are killing ability to improve if no rest.

Perhaps you are unaware of the fact that your body doesn't actually improve during the workout, it's the recovery where the actual improvement comes. The exercise is just putting a heavier load on the body that requires it to improve better for when you do it again.

If you provide no rest, you are dragging it out way longer then it need be, because you are neither getting the full benefit from the workout, nor are you getting the full benefit from the little to no rest you give yourself.

Besides which for weight loss, all exercise over a small amount is stress on the body. Planned stress, so it can improve. Well, yours is just stress and stress and stress.
    Diet is a stress too.
    You got other stresses in life?

Stress will mess up your hormones and make it harder to lose fat and weight, but potentially more muscle sadly.
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    @ haybales

Some days I am sore, some days I am not. When I do my intervals it is as follows: ( 13 times around the track is a mile )

week one: walk one, run two ( at a pace that is comfortable for me, while still being able to carry a conversation )
    week two: walk one run three
    week three: walk one run four
    week four: walk one run four

I am sure you get the point, it progresses from there, adding up, etc. I do the intervals for a half hour. when I run outside it is a bit more intense, more effort put forth, some days on the track I try to run a bit faster then normal just to see if I can.

I have heard that stress can hinder weight loss, but I am not stressed emotionally, or physically. I do give my muscles time to repair because, like I said, I do not work out the same ones everyday, it is always something different, and I also do not lift weights, or strength train on weekends.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @ haybales

Some days I am sore, some days I am not. When I do my intervals it is as follows: ( 13 times around the track is a mile )

week one: walk one, run two ( at a pace that is comfortable for me, while still being able to carry a conversation )
    week two: walk one run three
    week three: walk one run four
    week four: walk one run four

I am sure you get the point, it progresses from there, adding up, etc. I do the intervals for a half hour. when I run outside it is a bit more intense, more effort put forth, some days on the track I try to run a bit faster then normal just to see if I can.

I have heard that stress can hinder weight loss, but I am not stressed emotionally, or physically. I do give my muscles time to repair because, like I said, I do not work out the same ones everyday, it is always something different, and I also do not lift weights, or strength train on weekends.

You may not be stressed emotionally or physically, but your body might think otherwise. It is critical to actually go a day or two a week without any exercise to allow your body to recover. Also, a calorie deficit is stress on the body. So while a person might not think they are stressed, they can still have high levels of cortisol released. This is why when someone plateau's its suggested to take 1 week off of all exercise and eat at maintenance to stabilize their hormones and allow for a body to fully recover . And when you cut calories more, you will increase the amount of cortisol in your body and increase the stress. This is why many of us are suggesting cutting exercise to 1 hour or at least increase food by another 500 calories to reduce the affects of cortisol and other hormones.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    It's twelve days. I'm lucky if I lose anything in a month.
  • Snikkee
    Options
    @psulemon

I will look into getting a cortisol supplement. Would that help?
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4, 213.8 lbs. ( used to be 135 lbs 6 years ago ) I work out 3 hours a day, one hour running, one hour walking, one hour strength training. It has been 12 days since I started, and I eat clean, rarely have junk. I burn about 3000 calories a day, and eat about 2100. My BMR is 1700. I have not lost any weight yet. I am a bit nervous since it has been almost 2 weeks.. I know muscle weighs more then fat, and so on and so forth, but I have like 90 lbs to lose! mathematically I should be losing weight.. but I am not! How is this possible? I also drink a **** ton of water everyday, no less then 15 cups. I am doing everything right... so what am I doing wrong?

I'll tell you how it' possible you're not losing weight, you're estimations of how much you burn, your BMR, and how much you eat are off. I can't imagine a 5'4" women eating 2,000 calories to lose weight.

^^ I'm 5'5, my activity level is moderate, and I eat around 1,600. This is really close to maintenance for me.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    @psulemon

please do NOT take a cortisol supplement without a qualified doctor's advice
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you dont need to burn more than you eat. you need a certain amount of calories to LIVE... you shouldnt be aiming for eatign 1700 cals and burning 1900...
  • psuLemon
    Options
    @psulemon

No it won't... just give your body rest.. Like heybales said, it has been proven that rest is where you see your greatest gains. I understand that you can be addicted to exercise, but you really need to give your body rest. In fact, take a week off and eat around 2000 calories and I can almost bet you will see weight loss. The biggest issue I see is we are giving you the advice but it doesn't follow your agenda of working out 3 hours a day and you are turning it down. There really is NO reason to workout that much. It won't provide you any greater benefit as compared to someone who works out for an hour a day.
  • nolefan9399
    Options
    maybe you are burning too many calories, so the calories you do take in, your body stores as fat....just a thought?

what?????
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I am 5'4, 213.8 lbs. ( used to be 135 lbs 6 years ago ) I work out 3 hours a day, one hour running, one hour walking, one hour strength training. It has been 12 days since I started, and I eat clean, rarely have junk. I burn about 3000 calories a day, and eat about 2100. My BMR is 1700. I have not lost any weight yet. I am a bit nervous since it has been almost 2 weeks.. I know muscle weighs more then fat, and so on and so forth, but I have like 90 lbs to lose! mathematically I should be losing weight.. but I am not! How is this possible? I also drink a **** ton of water everyday, no less then 15 cups. I am doing everything right... so what am I doing wrong?

I'll tell you how it' possible you're not losing weight, you're estimations of how much you burn, your BMR, and how much you eat are off. I can't imagine a 5'4" women eating 2,000 calories to lose weight.

^^ I'm 5'5, my activity level is moderate, and I eat around 1,600. This is really close to maintenance for me.

Do you exercise the amount she does? I doubt it if your maintenance is 1,600. Also, do you weigh the same amount? If you are heavier, your TDEE will be higher.
  • ErickTheRedMFP
    ErickTheRedMFP Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow, so much information in this thread. The things that stick out to me are the rather aggressive exercise routine and the fact that you said you were hungry all the time.

May I ask what your primary goal is? If it's just to lose weight (it doesn't sound like it is) then you are making it much harder than it has to be. Is it the marathon - that's a big milestone! Or just becoming generally physically fit and athletic? It seems to me like you are trying to do a lot at the same time, but others have said that already. I love your focus on exercise! Maybe you are overtraining, but you will figure that out in time.

I have a radical suggestion. While doing such an intense training regimen I would not worry about counting calories at all! Instead focus on eating healthy and pay attention to the nutrition you are getting. I'd shoot for at least 100g of protein a day, 150 would be better. Eat lots of vegetables, fruits, and grains. Add fiber to your tracking, and just look at how much protein and fiber you eat a day while trying to eat very healthy foods. Exception: go sparingly on fruit drinks and calorie dense things like OJ and nuts.

You absolutely will lose fat, and with such a diet you will be unlikely to overeat. If you do this for 2-3 weeks while you body adjusts to your workout regimen you will likely start losing weight, and if not you will get a good idea for what your maintenance level is.
  • Snikkee
    Options
    @psulemon

I am taking the advice, I rest 2 days a week, Saturday and Sunday.

If I use a cortisol supplement, such as a powder and mix it with my protein shakes.. that wouldnt help? why?

@dave198lbs

Can you tell me why not to take a cortisol supplement without doctors orders??

@tavistocktoad

anything you will look into to, anywhere, says you need to burn more calories then you eat to lose weight, eat the same as you burn to maintain, and to gain well eat more then you burn. simple math. I am eating enough to be healthy, not overeating, and not under eating. I burn more then I eat to lose weight. What I eat is at least 80% healthy. Weekends for me a bit more relaxed, but I still eat generally healthy. So I am sorry I dont agree ...
  • psuLemon
    Options
    @psulemon

I am taking the advice, I rest 2 days a week, Saturday and Sunday.

If I use a cortisol supplement, such as a powder and mix it with my protein shakes.. that wouldnt help? why?

@dave198lbs

Can you tell me why not to take a cortisol supplement without doctors orders??

@tavistocktoad

anything you will look into to, anywhere, says you need to burn more calories then you eat to lose weight, eat the same as you burn to maintain, and to gain well eat more then you burn. simple math. I am eating enough to be healthy, not overeating, and not under eating. I burn more then I eat to lose weight. What I eat is at least 80% healthy. Weekends for me a bit more relaxed, but I still eat generally healthy. So I am sorry I dont agree ...

because you don't want to mess with you hormones as it can affect a lot of other stuff. Why don't you just eat more if you plan on being that active. Try to eat 2500 calories for a month.. it's a smaller deficit based on your fitbit. (about 20% reduction). I would alter macro's to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats.