Pre Workout Snacks

Options
mady2806
mady2806 Posts: 23 Member
What should i be eating before I workout for an hour?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    What time are you working out? Have you eaten in the last couple hours prior to working out? If you have, you don't need to eat anything more. If you haven't eaten anything, eat something light just so you don't throw up. Even something as simple as a banana could help. If I'm going to work out HARD or for longer than an hour, I'll get a protein bar so I'm not starving once I finish.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    If I haven't eaten anything for a few hours - I will try to get an energy bar (like Cliffs) or some whole grain crackers and peanut butter an hour before my workout. It helps me power through with energy.
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    I try to keep it light about 2 hours before a work out. I usually have an apple with PB or 5 wheat/multi grain crackers with PB and water. I like a glass of chocolate milk post work out. :smile:
  • mady2806
    Options
    I workout around the same time everyday..12:00 p.m. I usually have some homemade lowfat granola or some peanut butter. I usually wait to eat my lunch until after my workout as well..should I be doing it differently?
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I usually have a chobani greek yogurt!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I workout around the same time everyday..12:00 p.m. I usually have some homemade lowfat granola or some peanut butter. I usually wait to eat my lunch until after my workout as well..should I be doing it differently?

If you feel like you have enough energy during the workout, you should be fine. :smile:
  • mady2806
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas. :smile:
  • cheyenne_sun
    Options
    My favorite pre-workout food/fuel is an Amazake rice shake. (I'm particularly fond of the Coconut flavor.) It's made from brown rice, so it gives you energy, and it tastes really thick and rick like a milkshake, but doesn't have any dairy or refined sugar.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options

I'm in the same boat as you most days. I grab a snack like some fruit or a granola bar before I work out or my energy goes way down. If I eat my lunch first I'm more likely to get a cramp in my side or get nauseous during cardio activity.
  • hopela
    hopela Posts: 17
    Options
    The other day I was absolutely starving after work and grabbed one of those little tubes of mixed nuts out of the vending machine...they had 290 calories but filled me up and gave me a boost to get through it. I aim to work out when I'm mildly hungry (but not weak) bc it helps me down more water and cramp up less.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I eat lunch every day at 2, then at 4:30 I eat a can of tuna, Every day. I start my workouts at 5:30, 5:45 and I dont eat dinner till 8 pm when I am home ( I am at the gym till 7:30 7:45 ) I would be starving if I didnt eat that tuna. I also have a protein shake after I do my weights before I do my cardio.... I eat all the time, lol