Giving up Alcohol

Options
I have decided to give up alcohol, for my health and my sanity. It just causes too much stress in my life.

Replies

• charliecrocodile
    Options
    You won't miss it! :)
  • Carm00
    Carm00 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I sure hope not. My weekends have revolved around it for a while now. Gonna be totally different.:smooched:
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Ah, you may miss it a bit, but you won't miss all of the negatives! And, the peace of mind you gain will be priceless! Good for you!!
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I probably should, but I love my wine a little too much!
  • jbirdjr70
    Options
    I suggest not keeping your same weekend routine. Do something diffenrent on the weekends so the old "habits" don't come around. After three or 4 days without a drink, you are going to have more energy than you know what to do with...plus I suddenly had lots of "extra" money!!!!
  • Jessamyfrm
    Options
    As someone that is 18 I thought this would be the hardest thing I'd have to do since me and my friends have always been into partying and clubbing.. However this was the best idea I've ever had.

When I first started MFP I realised I was drinking on average 2000 calories in alcohol alone once a week not including the 4am drunken kebab :| Boy was that a wake up call!
  • Ebcanada
    Ebcanada Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Im at the end of week two of a drinking break. Honestly I feel better, the grocery store is cheaper, and Ive lost 7 lbs. I was going to carry this till thanksgiving however I think Im going to pick it back up right after.
  • alan589
    alan589 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Good luck Harley Girl.

I have only drank three times since starting MFP and I definitely feel better for it.

I did fall off the wagon on Saturday but the hangover just wasnt worth it.

I think I prefer life sober!

Best wishes

Alan
  • Carm00
    Carm00 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouraging words
  • jny1179
    jny1179 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Me too! My bf and I decided to cut it out when we realized how much we consume, not to mention how much money we spend. We are focusing on planning fun things to do on the weekends that do not involve drinking and it's a lot more fun. We accomplish a lot more when we're not hungover on Saturday or Sunday. We feel better already. It's tough because our friends are all party people but we know it's best for us right now.

Keep at it, you can do it, it's worth it!!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I used to go out drinking a lot when I was younger, but these days i rarely drink at all. I have 2 young kids, so aside from the time when I was pregnant and couldn't drink, I worry that if I had a drink I wouldn't be able to drive if my kids were ill or something, so I just don't bother. My husband doesn't drive, so if we go to weddings and things I have to drive, so again can't drink, so I've just got used to it. I'm quite happy with a coffee instead of a wine!

Haha just realised I am drinking in my profile pic :smile: That was my 1 night out in like a year!
  • CoachJake83
    Options
    Good choice. Alcohol can be an OK thing to have in moderation from time to time, but if it causes more problems than it solves it's time to say good bye. Hats off to you for making the choice.
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've personally never liked alcohol in any form, but another positive for you is how many calories it will free up for actual "chew it up and swallow it" food! I never like to drink my calories in any form, if I can help it! Good luck and I think a very wise decision.
  • motylekcytrynka
    motylekcytrynka Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good decision. I gave up alcohol nearly year ago. The reason was simple - the day after. Hangover equalled binging for me. Awful, pizza-full overating. And then I realised how high in calories alcohol is. I feel better now. And have more money.:wink:
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I have decided to give up alcohol, for my health and my sanity. It just causes too much stress in my life.
    To me this has changed to an occasional special occasion. I essentially have totally quit alcohol. I think the end of January was the last time I had a drink. You don't really miss it at all and like others have said it's so much better not to drink that many calories.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I did also! Great job......
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I applaud your decision. Find the inner strength to stay focused.
  • RobKarmic
    RobKarmic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You forgot to add 'Should Be A Cardinal Sin' to the rest of the title...
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have always been in the camp of, if you can make it fit into your macros, then why give anything up? But alcohol seems to be that one thing I can NOT do in moderation. Plus it makes me feel snack-y. So I totally understand this.

Good luck!
  • calimoma
    Options
    Good for you sister!! I have also made this pledge to myself. And amazingly I have found that I feel better physically, mentally, emotionally, and overall everywhere! It did no favors for me and only made everything worse! Im much happier now too!! If you want a little help, read "The Easyway to quit Drinking" by Allen Carr....Really opened my eyes and made me not even want alcohol!!
    Good luck!!!