If You're Going to Add Something to the Database ...

Options
Please make sure your counts are accurate. I'm so sick of looking up a food and finding that the numbers for calories, protein, etc are all wrong. A food doesn't have the calories you want it to have. It has the calories that are on the label. If you want to lie about how many calories you are eating then fine, but don't put it in the database and waste everyone's time.

Replies

• BridgetMiko
    BridgetMiko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree. I hate it when I look up an item and see about 10 different entries for the SAME PRODUCT. If you already see it out there, don't add it again! If it's wrong you can always click the edit button to adjust it.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I tend to put in everything myself for this reason. There are plenty of times people will only put in cals too, why not put all of the macro nutrients in!? If you are not, then your numbers are going to be off and your diary is kinda useless if it isn't accurate, at least IMO lol I have built my own personal database pretty large because of this reason, and I tend to eat a lot of the same things over time, so it has made things a lot easier for me.

ETA - and I get my nutrition info straight off the label and fill in all info that is given.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Don't tell me what to do!
  • CrazyAnne
    CrazyAnne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Ladies, I agree totally!:noway:
  • moniraq
    moniraq Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I always double check the values and correct them if they're wrong. I agree, though. If you're going to take the time to add something, why not take the extra time to put all the correct values in?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

I log 500 calories for half of a large pizza because it makes my numbers look better.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I agree it's annoying but create my own foods just so I know it's correct.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Sometimes values change on products. I had something a few weeks ago (a ready made potato gratin) and at the time the entry in the database was correct, I had it again today and the calorie values on the product have changed so it's not always user error.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options

HAHAHA! I got a good laugh out of this. Totally off topic here, but I've seen your posts in a few threads and you remind me a lot of my older brother. You even look like him in your profile pic. This comment is exactly the kind of thing he would say...

Regarding the original post, though, I don't use the public database at all. I have created my own personal database for everything I use...
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I get a kick out of it when I see something in there that's labeled "CORRECT" or "WEBSITE" and then I look at the nutrition and it's not even remotely close. Has only calories and no fat or protein totals, has macros that add up to 5x the calories, etc.
  • risenonlytofall
    Options
    Is it bad that I'm more upset when people spell things incorrectly?
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I agree that there are many strange entries in the database; however, the nutritional values and serving sizes for the same products are different in different countries, which accounts for some of them. This is still the best database around and it's pretty easy to use, too.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options

This.

But it also irritates me when they just log in the calories like that's all that matters. If it has other things listed, then list those.
    If it says "this much for 100g".. then I'll even do the calculation before adding it in to reflect the product if it's a 42g item. Makes it easy on me if I have it again, and easy on others so they don't have to check.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I had to edit something in the database today. Toufayan gluten free wraps were entered as having 119 calories each. The packaging of this product clearly says it has 110. I realize 9 calories is not a big deal, but how many other things are off by that much?

ETA: I also wish the recipe creator would allow you to enter the servings as a unit size(cups,grams, etc) rather than number of people it serves. It's difficult to know how many 'servings' I'm going to get out of a pot of Gumbo. But if I could measure out the number of cups it makes, It would be easier to keep track of. My "serving" may not be the same size as my partner's "serving". Difficult to say what portion of a "serving" I've had if I don't know the measurement of that 'serving'.
  • DoingItMyOwnWay
    Options
    I only enter calories if a food isn't already in the database as that's all I count. If other people are interested in the other values, they can enter it. If everyone contributes then it will all be there in the end. I do correct values when they are wrong. Yesterday I changed one that said 101 calories to 34 because that's what the packet said.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Couldnt agree more...now granted yes product labels will vary from batch to batch but i just wush the droid app had a way of editing easier...
  • Circapaleo
    Options

Lol! No, I think that's okay. :)
  • CherylGardner
    CherylGardner Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It's irritating to me too, but I finally realized that some of it has to do with the fact that ingredients and servings sizes, etc can be different depending on where you are getting the product from... i.e. US v. Canada v. UK, etc and we are all sharing the same database.

So there can be different variations of the macros/cals/servings depending on what version of that food is being entered.

People that don't enter everything available to them however, those people irritate me! :)
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    The thing that drives me up a wall is when all that is listed for serving size is in an amount (10 pieces, 1/2 cup, etc) and not a weight. I don't care if the weight is in ounces, grams, etc, I can do the conversion. But for those of us that weigh our foods, it's frustrating! If I ate 42 grams of rice, how many cups is that?
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    ETA: I also wish the recipe creator would allow you to enter the servings as a unit size(cups,grams, etc) rather than number of people it serves. It's difficult to know how many 'servings' I'm going to get out of a pot of Gumbo. But if I could measure out the number of cups it makes, It would be easier to keep track of. My "serving" may not be the same size as my partner's "serving". Difficult to say what portion of a "serving" I've had if I don't know the measurement of that 'serving'.

Here's my workaround for that, especially for soups, stews, gumbo, etc - I measure the whole batch in cups after it's finished. Then I use the # of total cups as the number of people the whole batch serves. I have a lot of things measured like that, so I automatically know that one serving = one cup. If I eat a cup and a half or two cups of something, then I can adjust and log 1.5 servings or whatever.

To measure the large batch is going to dirty up more dishes, but it's the most accurate way I've found to do it. It goes faster if you have a 4-cup measuring cup.